Page 99 of 101 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101 LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,485 of 1501

Thread: The Technical Questions Thread

Recently, I bought a Total Coolelf Auto Supra -37 for my car. It's a 50/50 prediluted and ready to use coolant with PH value of 8.4 (I measured and it was 8.6).
    Here is a picture of the product:

The problem is that I googled a lot and found out that the optimal PH value for car cooling system should be between 9.5 - 10.5. I'm somehow confused about why Total didn't obey this rule in this product (PH = 8.4! < 9.5!)

COOLING SYSTEMS - THREE STAR AUTO SERVICE, INC.

My question is that can I increase it's PH value by adding distilled water to it before using it in my car?

Our city's tap water has a PH value of 7.5 and when I added it (Tap Water) to my old coolant it's PH value rose from 8.0 to 8.7! (0.7 higher). But tap water contains minerals which are harmful for the engine and cooling system. So, I decided to add distilled water (instead of tap water) to my newly purchased coolant (Total Coolelf) to increase it's PH. But is this possible?

The boy at the shop told me not to add water to the product because it is premix and ready (supports -37 degrees) but in the area where I live the lowest possible temperature is zero and it never reaches -37 or so! Therefore adding some distilled water to it shouldn't cause any problems. It just changes it's freezing point a little higher (for example from -37 to -25) which is not a problem for me. What is really important for me is the corrosive factor of the coolant and PH value.

Please someone enlighten me about PH and it's optimum range for car's cooling system. What can I do to increase my New Total Coolelf's PH from 8.4 to about 9.5 (Optimal Range) ?
    Last edited by karabiner98k; 12-13-2014 at 08:00 AM.

This is very pleasant: me-ru-mo
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Cool stuff.

Found the video he got the gifs from on Youtube.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5pen3QMgzQ"]Ralph Steiner Mechanical Principles 1930 - YouTube[/ame]

It's mesmerizing.

Just curious, how do you put on wire or knock off wheels if there are no (apparent) lugs?

Also, didn't that become a problem when you had to change tires (say at Le Mans and such)?

Why did wire wheels even exist if lugs seemed like a better solution?

Not sure I understand the question correctly. You take them off the same way you put them on: with a hammer

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ol1gGCpAjJI"]HOW TO: JACK UP CAR TAKE OFF THE KNOCK-OFF (HAMMER) AND CHANGE TIRES ON WIRE RIMS PT 3 - YouTube[/ame]
    Turning money into memories.

That was sort of the answer to my question... but I think a better way to reword my question is- since knockoff wheels seem to be very unsafe, why did cars use wire wheels in early racing applications?

For the same reason spoked wheels got popular with bicycles; light, very strong, easy to true, and easy to make.

These days you have stronger materials and better wheel designs for cars, but bikes still use spoked wheels. I have a set of full carbon wheels for the road bike -- super stiff, aero, and at 2.3lbs very light -- but a spoked wheel set of carbon rims will be repairable, also very light, but cost less than a third. And I can build them myself.
    Turning money into memories.

Hi,

I have a problem which in fact i don't know if it is a problem or not!

Sometimes when i open the hood and listen to engine idling, i hear some hissing sound from the engine. Don't know where that noise comes from exactly but i think it is near throttle body.

I thought that maybe it is a vacuum leak but i replaced the throttle body gasket and checked the breather hoses and that sound is still there.

I should also mention that sometimes there is a 100 RPM fluctuation following that sound. (800 to 900 and again back to 800 RPM).

My question is that if it is a vacuum leak why my idle speed is totally normal? I read many articles and they said that vacuum leak lead to fast idle speed.

"Is it possible to have a vacuum leak without any increase in idle speed?"

Can i suspect the engine idle speed control (stepper motor)? Could it be the culprit?

What do you think?

What are the advantages to inboard brakes?

They sound like a pain in the butt to change, and I guess they have a center of gravity/unsprung weight advantage... and that's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    What are the advantages to inboard brakes?

They sound like a pain in the butt to change, and I guess they have a center of gravity/unsprung weight advantage... and that's about it.
    Yep, that's pretty much it...

Disadvantages include a lack of airflow, necessitating ducting, and the added weight of the stub axles needed to connect the hubs to the brakes on non-driven wheels. They also can compromise interior or engine-bay space depending upon their implementation.

Quote Originally Posted by derekthetree View Post
    Lightning tries to find the easiest route down to the ground, and I would have thought that striking a plane wouldn't help it in that sense, but I'm sure someone can give you a better answer!
    ---------
    The 2002 Honda Nsxtype r. It used to be around 100k new how much is it worth now?
    [url=http://www.importscollection.com/]bmw warranted pre owned[/url]

So... based on this video, synthetic motor oil is the best choice. The question is, how come not every manufacturer uses synthetic?

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYkg0oDUXs8"]Is Synthetic Motor Oil Better For Your Car? - YouTube[/ame]

And what do the forum members use for motor oil anyway?

Mobil 1? Penzoil? Elf? Quaker State? Valvoline?

Which Mobil Oil?

Could someone please explain to me which Mobil Oil (1k, 2K, 3K & Mobil 1) is best for which engines or applications?
    Last edited by alexanders-nz; 08-23-2016 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Found a website that may help people answer my question

I was watching pictures of the new Kia estate car (don't ask...) and I noticed that depending on the trim you choose you get a single or a (true, there are two separate silencers) dual exhaust. Both trims have the same engine (a 1.7 litre 141bhp diesel).

My question is, is there any actual benefit (reduced noise, increased performance, etc.) to a dual exhaust for a four cylinder engine or is Kia just doing it for the show (albeit at quite an expensive way...)?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I was watching pictures of the new Kia estate car (don't ask...) and I noticed that depending on the trim you choose you get a single or a (true, there are two separate silencers) dual exhaust. Both trims have the same engine (a 1.7 litre 141bhp diesel).

My question is, is there any actual benefit (reduced noise, increased performance, etc.) to a dual exhaust for a four cylinder engine or is Kia just doing it for the show (albeit at quite an expensive way...)?
    As a general rule, it is easier to flow more while still staying quiet with more mufflers rather than fewer. So I'm sure the dual pipes will emit only the most dulcet diesel notes, whereas the single-piped serf car will roll down the road in a cacophony of thrashing, clacking, and general Koreo-Euro unpleasantness.

Whether or not an asthmatic diesel engine actually needs the increased flow of twin exits is probably not what Kia wants you to think about. There are also some disadvantage. In theory, Bugatti's eight-piped setup comes to mind, boundary-layer merge can choke the pipe as the number of pipes goes to infinity and the cross-sectional area goes to zero... They also weigh more: of any of the advantages and disadvantages that I've mentioned this will be the only one that's noticed.

That and the aesthetics, which I'm sure is the whole point of the exercise.

Thread Information