Thread: Ford Focus RS Prototype 2009

Ford Focus RS Prototype 2009

Cologne, June 12, 2008 – Ford RS is back and the all-new Focus RS is on track! An early prototype of the fastest Focus road car to date is now undergoing performance and durability testing at the challenging Nürburgring Circuit in Germany, in preparation for its launch in 2009.

The principal architect of the Focus RS project is Ford of Europe’s Vehicle Line Director for Performance Vehicles, Jost Capito, whose Team RS development group were responsible for the first generation Focus RS in 2002, and more recently, the Fiesta ST and the new Focus ST.

Capito said: “The new Focus RS is as much a car for driving enthusiasts as the one before it and classic Ford RS models of the past. We’re staying true to the core RS principles of a no-compromise, affordable high performance road car you can live with. The new Focus RS will have the muscles, heart and soul of a genuine RS and will be exciting to drive every day.”

The all-new Focus RS features a specially developed, turbocharged version of the Duratec 2.5-litre engine, based on Focus ST, but significantly revised to generate over 280PS and more than 400 Nm of torque, thus achieving an excellent power-to-weight ratio.

Various chassis innovations, developed in conjunction with Ford's Advanced Engineering Centre in Aachen are being tuned for the new car by the Cologne-based Ford Team RS. Their overriding objective is to achieve optimized driving dynamics and on road performance through an advanced technology front-wheel drive system, combined with a limited-slip differential.

"In early prototypes based on Focus ST vehicles, the new system is more than meeting our targets for exceptional levels of traction, handling and steering," Capito added. "Given that the enthusiastic team behind the car are all performance vehicle enthusiasts, you can imagine that our standards are high."

Ford Focus – A great starting point
    The standard Ford Focus is an excellent base for a high performance car – agile, responsive and stable.

While the latest Focus ST has already proved this to be the case, the new RS will take these qualities to the next level, benefitting from extensive engineering knowledge gained through the Company's highly successful Motorsport programmes, notably with the Focus World Rally Car.

"We have no doubt that we can enhance the acclaimed qualities of the already excellent Focus for an even higher performance model than the ST," Capito added. "Now, we are going through the rigorous job of proving out our technical approach in extensive testing and tuning over a variety of roads including the most demanding track in the world, the "Green Hell" that is the Nürburgring Nordschleife!”

"With two consecutive Manufacturers’ World Rally Championship titles and the success of Fiesta and Focus ST models, we have the knowledge and the experience. The time is right for Ford to deliver a new high performance model for the legions of loyal Ford RS customers around Europe," Capito concluded.

The new Focus RS test and development programme is now well underway and will continue for several months, prior to the vehicle being readied for production in early 2009.

Although the internet and car magazines around the globe have continued to offer their opinions as to how the new car will look and drive, customers will get the first look at a production-intent vehicle with its world premiere at the London Motor Show in late July.

Further technical details of the all-new Focus RS will be released closer to launch.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I am easily satisfied with the very best.

"It is a very good looking car, If you have cataract" - JC about the Alpine A610

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    I'm going to kill one hostage every hour until this car is released in the United States.
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

Quote Originally Posted by digitalcraft View Post
    I'm going to kill one hostage every hour until this car is released in the United States.
    I think you should direct your anger onto Ford blow an ugly focus untill the EU one comes to the US
    I am easily satisfied with the very best.

"It is a very good looking car, If you have cataract" - JC about the Alpine A610

I'm going to kill one American Ford Employee every hour until this car is released in the United States.
    Fixed.

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    I can live with that.

Seriously, what the hell man. Ford, you have forsaken me. The American Focus is a slap in the face.

By the way I just found out that the international Focus is available in Mexico. Hmm. I have been thinking about getting a new car for a while. how bitchin would it be to have an international focus. I wonder what options are available in mexico...
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

I can live with that.

Seriously, what the hell man. Ford, you have forsaken me. The American Focus is a slap in the face.

By the way I just found out that the international Focus is available in Mexico. Hmm. I have been thinking about getting a new car for a while. how bitchin would it be to have an international focus. I wonder what options are available in mexico...
    Are you going to invade Mexico to get this car?

The only person crossing the border.

The other way.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Are you going to invade Mexico to get this car?

The only person crossing the border.

The other way.
    LOL my gf is half mexican but she laughed too...
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    LOL my gf is half mexican but she laughed too...
    Happy that you didn't take my joke the wrong way.

haha, i imagine hospitals will see an influx of patients with dislocated wrists when this is put on sale..
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Thread Information