Thread: Beware of posted fuel mileage claims.

Beware of posted fuel mileage claims.

Consumer Reports Finds New-Car Window Stickers Vastly Overstate Vehicle Fuel Economy Ratings

To: National Desk, Consumer Reporter, Photo Editor

Contact: Russell Datz of Brandware PR, 516-599-0062 or [email protected] Douglas Love of Consumer Reports, 914-378-2437 or [email protected]

YONKERS, NY, Sept. 6 /U.S. Newswire/ -- New-car fuel economy tests conducted by Consumer Reports show that government figures posted on new-car window stickers can have shortfalls of up to 50 percent, according to an investigation published in the October issue of Consumer Reports magazine (http://www.ConsumerReports.org?source=CR1). Hybrid cars and the diesel version of one small SUV are among the worst offenders, costing consumers hundreds of dollars more in fuel per year than they were led to believe.

In a study of 303 cars and trucks, model-years 2000 to 2006, Consumer Reports found that shortfalls in miles per gallon (mpg) occurred in 90 percent of the vehicles tested. The largest discrepancies involved city driving, with some models falling short of claimed mpg by 35 to 50 percent (see table).

Ironically, hybrids, whose selling point is fuel thriftiness, had some of the biggest disparities with fuel economy, averaging 19 mpg below Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) city ratings. On average, our highway mpg more closely reflected the EPA rating.

Hybrid cars still won three of the best five spots for overall mpg in the magazine's testing. A list of new car models with best and worst fuel mileage, as well as tips on how to save at the pump can be found at http://www.ConsumerReports.org?source=CR2.

"Current EPA figures are definitely misleading and ultimately expensive for consumers," said David Champion, Senior Director of Consumer Reports' Auto Test Center. The magazine attributes the problem to the use of the EPA's outdated testing procedures, dating back to the 1973 oil embargo, which don't account for the increased drive time spent in dense traffic and faster highway speeds on today's roads.

The EPA also allows car manufacturers to use for testing purposes hand-built prototype vehicles and the most favorable test conditions for maximum fuel economy, yielding results that are nearly impossible for consumers to achieve. By contrast, Consumer Reports buys new cars and trucks anonymously from dealerships and uses special test equipment to accurately gauge real-world fuel economy using public roads and the test track on its 327-acre test facility in East Haddam, Connecticut.

"Just one in ten of the vehicles we tested achieved fuel economies as good as or better than EPA estimates," Champion said. For consumers, the news means that their vehicles typically cost hundreds more per year to operate than they were led to believe. Put another way, when gas in August hit $2.37 per gallon, the mpg shortchange effectively boosted the price for some motorists to $3.13 per gallon.

Assuming 12,000 miles per year of driving over five years and no further increases in gas prices, Consumer Reports figures show it will cost Dodge Ram 1500 pickup truck owners $2,558 more in fuel than the EPA estimates, $1,742 more for Mercury Grand Marquis owners and $1,316 more for Nissan Quest owners.

Looking at the bigger picture, Consumer Reports (CR) also believes car makers are falling short of government-mandated Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) levels because of the EPA's unrealistic tests and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's (NHTSA) inappropriate methods of calculation. If more accurate mpg figures were used by NHTSA to rate CAFE compliance, most automakers would likely fail to meet the standards, CR's study shows. For example, in 2003, for the vehicles studied in this report, the fleet average calculated using NHTSA's mpg estimates was overstated by 30 percent when compared with the fleet average calculated using Consumer Reports' road tests.

Consumer Reports uses a battery of 50-plus different tests to rate new cars, minivans, SUVs, and pickup trucks at its Auto Test Center in East Haddam, Connecticut. The magazine's team of auto engineers evaluates each vehicle's performance, safety, comfort, convenience, interior quality, fuel economy, cargo capacity, and more.

To earn a 'Recommended' rating from Consumer Reports magazine, new cars must perform well in testing; have average or better reliability; comply with CR's criteria for rollover safety, and, if crash-tested, provide good overall crash protection, based on CR's composite of insurance-industry and government crash test results.

VEHICLE TYPE, MAKE & MODEL: SMALL SUV - Jeep Liberty Diesel Ltd. (4WD)
    EPA CITY MPG: 22
    CR CITY MPG: 11
    EPA SHORTFALL: 50 percent

VEHICLE TYPE, MAKE & MODEL: HYBRID - Honda Civic Sedan
    EPA CITY MPG: 48
    CR CITY MPG: 26
    EPA SHORTFALL: 46 percent

VEHICLE TYPE, MAKE & MODEL: LARGE SEDAN - Chrysler 300C
    EPA CITY MPG: 17
    CR CITY MPG: 10
    EPA SHORTFALL: 41 percent

VEHICLE TYPE, MAKE & MODEL: MIDSIZED SUV - Chevrolet TrailBlazer EXT LT (4WD)
    EPA CITY MPG: 15
    CR CITY MPG: 9
    EPA SHORTFALL: 40 percent

VEHICLE TYPE, MAKE & MODEL: MINIVAN - Honda Odyssey EX
    EPA CITY MPG: 20
    CR CITY MPG: 12
    EPA SHORTFALL: 40 percent

VEHICLE TYPE, MAKE & MODEL: LUXURY SEDAN - BMW 745Li
    EPA CITY MPG: 18
    CR CITY MPG: 11
    EPA SHORTFALL: 39 percent

VEHICLE TYPE, MAKE & MODEL: PICKUP - Dodge Ram 1500 SLT (crew cab, 4WD)
    EPA CITY MPG: 13
    CR CITY MPG: 8
    EPA SHORTFALL: 38 percent

VEHICLE TYPE, MAKE & MODEL: FAMILY SEDAN - Oldsmobile Alero GL
    EPA CITY MPG: 21
    CR CITY MPG: 13

VEHICLE TYPE, MAKE & MODEL: LARGE SUV - Dodge Durango Limited (4WD)
    EPA CITY MPG: 13
    CR CITY MPG: 8

VEHICLE TYPE, MAKE & MODEL: SMALL SEDAN - Ford Focus ZX4 SES
    EPA CITY MPG: 26
    CR CITY MPG: 17
    EPA SHORTFALL: 35 percent

------

Consumer Reports is one of the most trusted sources for information and advice on consumer products and services. CR conducts the most comprehensive auto-test program of any U.S. publication or Website; CR's auto experts have decades of experience in driving, testing, and reporting on cars. To subscribe to Consumer Reports, call 1-800-234-1645. Information and articles from Consumer Reports can be accessed online at http://www.ConsumerReports.org?source=CR3.

The material above is intended for legitimate news entities only; it may not be used for commercial or promotional purposes. Consumer Reports(r) magazine is published by Consumers Union, an expert, independent nonprofit organization whose mission is to work for a fair, just, and safe marketplace for all consumers and to empower consumers to protect themselves. To achieve this mission, we test, inform, and protect. To maintain our independence and impartiality, Consumers Union accepts no outside advertising, no free test samples, and has no agenda other than the interests of consumers. Consumers Union supports itself through the sale of its information products and services, individual contributions, and a few noncommercial grants.

------

PHOTO AVAILABLE: A high-resolution, publication-ready photo supporting this story is available for free editorial use at:

http://www.wirepix.com/cgi-bin/newsp...SN090605bb.jpg

------

Consumer Reports: Expert, Independent, Nonprofit

-- Expert: Consumer Reports has more than 50 testing labs, a 327-acre auto test facility, more than 140 highly trained researchers and technicians, more than 60 experienced reporters and editors, and survey research on more than 700,000 customer experiences each year. All are dedicated only to the consumer.

-- Independent: Consumer Reports accepts no paid advertising, no free samples of the products it reviews, no free trips, no free lodging, no freebies at all.

-- Nonprofit: Consumer Reports is published by Consumers Union, whose mission is to work for a fair, just, and safe marketplace for all consumers.

http://www.usnewswire.com/

-0-

/© 2005 U.S. Newswire 202-347-2770/

I would also like to see similar figures for non-city driving. Will these be equally revealing? And to be honest, the general US public was little concerned about fuel consumption anyway, so the "cry-wolff" approach about additional money spent is a bit over the top. May be the recent price hikes could stimulate the creation of proper public transport within cities, or even a more widespread use of the bicycle for commuting purposes
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

It's the government to blame
    Europe brought in an additional test which is much more like current driving than the older test was. It's still not the legally reported figures used in sales but are available if you ask usually. We have four ECE Urban Driving Cycles, simulating city driving, and one Extra Urban Driving Cycle (EUDC), simulating highway driving conditions. The cold-start version of the test, introduced in 2000, is also referred to as the New European Driving Cycle (NEDC).
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    It's the government to blame
    Please no, not again, I can see a "non-debate" emerging
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    Please no, not again, I can see a "non-debate" emerging
    he unfair, I DID add the smiley and the article DOES say it too !!!!!
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

bwahahaha @ trailblazer

Out of the 32mpg / City claimed by Honda for my Civic I'm getting 29.2 mpg... And that's sometimes driving at roush hour and always with the A/C on as it is too hot in Florida right now, so I guess they were pretty accurate and honest?

I doubt the Civic Hybrid is getting 26mpg as stated in that article, should be getting a lot more.

It's all because of the EPA's wacky testing techniques. They call highway speed 48 or 58 mph I think. In reality, it's like 70 mph here. I think they got the C6 Z06's great mileage by driving it 55 mph in 5th or 6th gear.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

As far as the hybrid city mileage goes... IIRC, the hybrids start the test with a fully charged battery and drain it over the course of the test, so the engine isn't on nearly as much as it would be in the real world where the battery must be recharged... Essentially, they are getting all that energy stored in the battery for free instead of its use being reflected in the test.

this morning our newspaper provided us with then tips how to save gas. Admittedly the first one they gave was considered to be useless. It originated from GWB and comprised: "Don't refuel when not necessary."

Brilliant....

Thread Information