• Mercedes-Benz SL65 AMG Black Series

23 41.82%
  • Porsche 911 GT2

32 58.18%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: German Supercars: MB SL65 AMG Black Series vs. Porsche 911 GT2

German Supercars: MB SL65 AMG Black Series vs. Porsche 911 GT2

German Supercars: MB SL65 AMG Black Series vs. Porsche 911 GT2

At first the SL might seem to out class the GT2 having 670 bhp to the Porsche's 523 hp, but the Porsche does 0-60 in 3.6 seconds verses 3.8 seconds in the Benz and the Porsche has a maximum top speed of 204 mph (328 kph) verses 198 mph (319 kph) in the Benz.
    Last edited by NicFromLA; 01-16-2009 at 02:10 PM.
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

Quite why you'd want to make your Merc more uncomfortable and have more power is beyond me.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

It's not really that I like the SL65 black, I just don't like the GT2. The SL65 isn't even my favorite black series, based on reviews where pretty much everyone agreed the CLK63 was more fun to drive (surprised me). The stig even said it was one of his favorite cars ever.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Don't talk about Merc SL's...

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    For some reason the SL Black reminds me of a previous gen skyline in a lot of ways.
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

WHAT, a previous gen skyline!

why are we comparing an sl to a 911 let alone a GT2

one is a statement to an excellent line of cars and the other is a tuning companies goal of make an extreme luxury performer

personally, i'll take the sl because it I just like the overall design. I find it appalling that mercedes let alone AMG can't seem to make or design a manual or even a sequential manual to handle the torque (where is the german engineering on that)

also, somewhere amongst the various wep pages of the internet, the sl could supposedly pull a 7:38 on the Ring, can't 100% confirm, it's just hearsay

These cars are quite dissimilar. One is a a fat muscular pig and the other is a refined nicely cultured track car.

Or am I off? I am not a fan of either - the Porsche will oversteer and still has turbo lag and the SL is trying to be a pure sportscar but still is luxurious and heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    These cars are quite dissimilar. One is a a fat muscular pig and the other is a refined nicely cultured track car.

Or am I off? I am not a fan of either - the Porsche will oversteer and still has turbo lag and the SL is trying to be a pure sportscar but still is luxurious and heavy.
    That right there. But comparisons are fun, and strange comparisons no less, at least for me.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

the SL is trying to be a pure sportscar but still is luxurious and heavy.
    And unoriginal.

Quote Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post
    That right there. But comparisons are fun, and strange comparisons no less, at least for me.
    I'd sell both these cars and buy myself a ZR1 or F430 both of which I'd say are vastly superior in their function. To either of these. The Ferrari by all accounts is incredible. Oh wait I ruined the thread as we were meant to choose one of the German cars. Ok, I choose the R8 which is vastly superior to either one of these cars in my eyes and hell why not, I'll take the V10 version as well engine amidships (optimal), it's Audi so has nice fittings, more focused than the Black Series which Ferrer has pinned down perfectly, better looking than the GT2 and with engine in one of the two correct positions. Or if you want a fast proper sportscar Porsche, buy the GT3. If you want a fast proper sportscar Benz, buy a Porsche or Ferrari or R8 because Benz sucks ass at making sportscars.

The End.

Quote Originally Posted by LTSmash View Post
    And unoriginal.
    And ugly.

The Actual End.

the SL is trying to be a pure sportscar but still is luxurious and heavy.
    hey, maybe Mercedes Benz will succeed with this one. It's quite comparable to the SLR. Both are heavy and quite luxurious but can still deliver a great amount of performance.
    Everything ends at 666...
    666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666

I'd take the GT2 for its deadly 911ness and lightness.
    I don't like Benz' philosophy of adding power instead of reducing weight. The figures speak for themselves.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

MB+V12 makes ladies moist ....semi competition suspension settings, not so much.

I don't have to races Porsches to work in the morning, so they can keep their .2 secs.
    Horsepower wins races. Torque pulls trailers.

http://www.nuerburgring.de/fileadmin/webcam/webcam.jpg <Live cast from the 'Ring.

Quote Originally Posted by P4g4nite View Post
    MB+V12 makes ladies moist ....semi competition suspension settings, not so much.
    I need not a car to make ladies moist or pick them up. What I do need a car to do is be fun and Benz don't make fun cars. They make nice luxury cars though.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleeding Heart View Post
    hey, maybe Mercedes Benz will succeed with this one. It's quite comparable to the SLR. Both are heavy and quite luxurious but can still deliver a great amount of performance.
    But can they deliver fun? Or value?

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    I'd take the GT2 for its deadly 911ness and lightness.
    I don't like Benz' philosophy of adding power instead of reducing weight. The figures speak for themselves.
    No, no they actually reduced weight. It weighted 23 tonnes, now it's about at 18...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information