Page 29 of 82 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979 ... LastLast

Thread: The State of The Car

Women responsible for making ill-advised decisions when it comes to choosing cars and the success of the Cayenne.

Porsche has doubled US sales to women [w/videos] - Autoblog
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

hmmm, good point guys, so to clarify yes we all played with Dinky/Corgi £2 per cars.
    I guess I was using the comparison with more accurate/expensive models.
    Not the extreme end of that either tho'.
    eg I've a few Spark etc at the £10-20 per and a disturbingly growing collection of OTTO 1/18th at more ( thankfully the wife doesn't read here and thinks they ALL cost £5 )
    Mind you never payed full price for one yet, so price based on "Recommended retail price" by the manufacturer then I reckon it's double the prices

Main point being, NOT the kind you'd willingly "bash" .
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    hmmm, good point guys, so to clarify yes we all played with Dinky/Corgi £2 per cars.
    I guess I was using the comparison with more accurate/expensive models.
    Not the extreme end of that either tho'.
    eg I've a few Spark etc at the £10-20 per and a disturbingly growing collection of OTTO 1/18th at more ( thankfully the wife doesn't read here and thinks they ALL cost £5 )
    Mind you never payed full price for one yet, so price based on "Recommended retail price" by the manufacturer then I reckon it's double the prices

Main point being, NOT the kind you'd willingly "bash" .
    I played with all my models as a kid, regardless of how much they cost (some were £50+)...I was just careful with the expensive ones.

It's the same with cars. - Proportionally, my BMW probably cost me more of my "worth" than a Ferrari 250GTO costs it's average owner; that's why I don't abuse it (not saying I don't drive it fast when appropriate). If I could afford to constantly fix all damage/wear (or replace the car in the worst case) from hard use, I'd probably take it to the track or drive it harder on the road.
    "This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

With what would have been an '80s revival this past decade, if the baby boomers hadn't turned the population triangle square, this decade into the next will be the time of '90s revival. What do you think that will mean for cars?

As the '90s were the decade of my birth, what I remember of them I remember with slightly rose-tinted lenses: the Viper, the Miata (I know Ferrer will disagree), the NSX (see previous), 993s, the final GM B-Bodies etc...

What were the defining characteristics of the decade then? Which characteristics will translate well into this decade?
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

The MX-5 is from the sixties anyway.

The things is, though, most of those cars are still in production, so it's hard to make a comeback for something that has never left anyway; and the NSX managed to survive until the mid-noughties, so again making a comeback for something that has barely laeft will be hard.
    Visca Catalunya!

Is it just me or does it seem like cars stay in concept form for longer and longer?

Look at the NSX, Camaro and LF-A concepts. The concepts are introduced year after year with very little variation.

Is this just normal practice? It seems like it makes the car that much more boring to me at least.

If this is to drum up anticipation, I don't think it's working.

Come to think of it, the general shape of the 918 was unveiled, what 3 years ago now?

Regarding Lexus LFA, engineering a brand new supercar is a time consuming process. Especially, when during the devlopment you make a switch from an aluminum frame to a carbon fibre tub, therefore starting from scratch all over again.

Porsche 918, too, is a venture into the unknown for the manufcturer.

What is much more disturbing is the lack of "true" concept cars. Today, car shows are full of these lightly disguised versions of upcoming models.

We need real concept cars, cars that push the limits of automotive design, offer fresh ideas and approaches.

On the production car concepts front, one of the most pathetic situations of late is that of Ford and its new Mondeo, which isn't new any more actually. It was unveiled in late 2012 and its introduction in showrooms is at least a year ago, maybe more. Now to keep a modicum of interest they keep releasing concepts (like the Vignale thing from last week) too keep it sort of fresh but it will be old by the time it hits the dealer network...

As for proper concepts, yes they've sort of disappeared, except perhaps from japanese car manufacturers. But then again there's less and less variation in the automotive industry as time goes by so what's the point of fresh ideas?
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Revo View Post
    Regarding Lexus LFA, engineering a brand new supercar is a time consuming process. Especially, when during the devlopment you make a switch from an aluminum frame to a carbon fibre tub, therefore starting from scratch all over again.

Porsche 918, too, is a venture into the unknown for the manufcturer.

What is much more disturbing is the lack of "true" concept cars. Today, car shows are full of these lightly disguised versions of upcoming models.

We need real concept cars, cars that push the limits of automotive design, offer fresh ideas and approaches.
    Ah, I forgot about the change to carbon fiber for the LF-A. That would make sense.

Concepts are cool and all, but honestly, when was the last time a concept ended up being produced? It's one thing to make a real concept and another thing to make a lightly disguised version of the real thing.

It's only truly exciting when concepts end up being produced.

The latest example (off the top of my head) where a concept ended up being produced was the S2000. The Honda Sport Study model was launched in 1995 and it ended up being the S2000 in 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    On the production car concepts front, one of the most pathetic situations of late is that of Ford and its new Mondeo, which isn't new any more actually. It was unveiled in late 2012 and its introduction in showrooms is at least a year ago, maybe more. Now to keep a modicum of interest they keep releasing concepts (like the Vignale thing from last week) too keep it sort of fresh but it will be old by the time it hits the dealer network...

As for proper concepts, yes they've sort of disappeared, except perhaps from japanese car manufacturers. But then again there's less and less variation in the automotive industry as time goes by so what's the point of fresh ideas?
    Isn't the European Mondeo just the Ford Fusion over here? Or am I missing something?

Looks like they aped Aston a little bit too much.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    The latest example (off the top of my head) where a concept ended up being produced was the S2000. The Honda Sport Study model was launched in 1995 and it ended up being the S2000 in 1999.
    Trepiłno (2004) to 500 (2007) is a more recent example, though hardly exciting.
    Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Isn't the European Mondeo just the Ford Fusion over here? Or am I missing something?

Looks like they aped Aston a little bit too much.
    It is indeed the Fusion, although in Europe the old Mondeo soldiers on for the moment.
    Visca Catalunya!

Visca Catalunya!

Visca Catalunya!

The ink has not even dried on the cheque to my local (true story) hummer/Saab/Saturn dealership for a NEVS 9-3!

Most cars you see on the road probably started their design process more than 5 years ago.....a lot of hard points on engine, suspension and chassis may have been locked down early, but styling and other points may well be in flux until they feel they got a working design. The concepts years after year helps them gauge the direction. For something plain like your Camry or Corolla they might not care so much. For something like GTR or NSX they spend more time since image actually is important...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

My cousin brother has Ford Taurus that he found a problem, the One of the most common problems with the Ford Taurus involves the car's suspension.

I got to know that Quite a few Taurus owners have received broken coil springs, which can expense nearly $1, 000 to replace if you experience also damage on the rear struts. Connect rods, ball joints and sway bars have also been known to offer problems.

For car info visit auto-car-transport.com

Thread Information