Thread: Jaguar to build six more Lightweight E-Types

Jaguar to build six more Lightweight E-Types

Jaguar will build six more Lightweight E-Types. Here is our piece on the twelve genuine cars: 1963 - 1964 Jaguar E-Type Lightweight Roadster - Images, Specifications and Information

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar
    Jaguar is to build six perfect reproductions of the original, race-bred Lightweight E-type that was created in 1963. The new cars are the ‘missing’ six vehicles from Jaguar’s Lightweight E-type project, which originally started in February 1963 with the objective of building 18 ‘Special GT E-type Cars’.

Only 12 of the aluminium bodied Lightweight E-types were eventually built, the last in 1964, the remaining six designated chassis numbers having lain dormant, until now.

The new cars will be hand-built in-house by Jaguar’s finest craftsmen. Each car will be constructed to the exact specifications of their original 1960s forebears – including the 3.8-litre straight-six engine.

The Lightweight carried approximately 114kg (250lb) less weight than a standard E-type, thanks to its all-aluminium body and engine block, a lack of interior trim and exterior chrome work and a host of further weight-saving features including lightweight, hand-operated side windows.

Jaguar expects a high demand for the six Lightweight E-types. Established Jaguar collectors, especially those with historic race car interests, will be prioritised amongst those potential customers who express interest.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Wouter Melissen; 05-14-2014 at 03:25 AM.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

if they will be built according the original specs, they will be about 10 seconds slower on the Goodwood track than the original, but tweaked, models. Maybe Jaguar should make an Adrian Newey version available too...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Interesting

A rather cynical exercise in my jaded opinion.
    Aston Martin did this several years ago with a small run of Zagato GT4 'unused' chassis numbers, and Shelby did the same with Cobra numbers that were never used.
    Unfortunately, as Jaguar are not the real deal any-more, these 'authentic' lightweights are really just replicas.
    Who Dares Wins

Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    A rather cynical exercise in my jaded opinion.
    Aston Martin did this several years ago with a small run of Zagato GT4 'unused' chassis numbers, and Shelby did the same with Cobra numbers that were never used.
    Unfortunately, as Jaguar are not the real deal any-more, these 'authentic' lightweights are really just replicas.
    Problem is that they may get a FIA sanction and can be raced in Historics, and subsequently nobody will race the real ones any more. Same thing could happen with the Listers, now that a sanctioned replica production run has started.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

This is really interesting. Are they hand building the engines as well or have they sourced them from previous cars? If they hand build then potentially they could inject a little bit of modern technology and the new cars might be faster

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrafan427 View Post
    This is really interesting. Are they hand building the engines as well or have they sourced them from previous cars? If they hand build then potentially they could inject a little bit of modern technology and the new cars might be faster
    All of the original ones have already been made much faster than they actually were.....

Oh, LOL; courtesy of our friends over at sniffpetrol.

Jaguar announces new recreation Sniff Petrol
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Oh, LOL; courtesy of our friends over at sniffpetrol.

Jaguar announces new recreation Sniff Petrol
    Can they add Lucas Electric parts for authenticity purposes?

Lightweight Jag

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    Jaguar will build six more Lightweight E-Types. Here is our piece on the twelve genuine cars: 1963 - 1964 Jaguar E-Type Lightweight Roadster - Images, Specifications and Information
    I know I'm a little late to the party, but better late than never, as they say. Here are two photographs of the new Lightweight Jag, taken at Laguna Seca in Aug. of this year.
    Attached Images Attached Images

did they sell all six

Awsome

Beautiful replicas

Thread Information