Page 100 of 101 FirstFirst ... 50909899100101 LastLast
Results 1,486 to 1,500 of 1501

Thread: The Technical Questions Thread

Interesting. So despite the theoretical benefits, all show and no go as suspected.

Then, why do some manufacturers install those exhaust systems on four cylinder cars but then conceal them behind the bumpers? The engineers must have seen some kind of actual benefit for those won't they?

(Pictured current generation Honda Civic)

Also, I suppose that the actual benefits of a true dual exhaust vary whether there is one exhaust manifold (inline engines) or two exhaust manifolds (V or boxer engines).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I think manufacturers are tucking away exhaust pipes now because it's not chic anymore to be spouting emissions. See, electric cars don't have exhaust pipes!

...never mind that electric cars still spout emissions, just somewhere else and not in the immediate area.

Random question about new gearboxes- what happens if your battery dies and you need to enter neutral to push the car off the road?

For instance, my cousin just got a 2017 Honda Pilot and it has a gearbox that has a push button gearbox. So, how would you enter neutral with a dead battery?

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Random question about new gearboxes- what happens if your battery dies and you need to enter neutral to push the car off the road?

For instance, my cousin just got a 2017 Honda Pilot and it has a gearbox that has a push button gearbox. So, how would you enter neutral with a dead battery?
    Typically there's a mechanical, lockout lever hidden under an interior panel somewhere. Sometimes it can be difficult to find.
    Turning money into memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasmus View Post
    Typically there's a mechanical, lockout lever hidden under an interior panel somewhere. Sometimes it can be difficult to find.
    That's depressing to hear, and honestly to me that sounds like a safety liability. There's a margin of safety to be had with mechanical linkages, and as cool and forward as fly by wire is, you can't beat the mechanical precision and instantaneous feel of a real shift knob. Even airplanes have redundancy, and that's because it would really suck if you lost control of your rudder. There is no quick redundancy to this, and changing ergonomics for the sake of changing it is not a good idea. For instance, Jeep with their stupid gear lever design.

After Yelchin Death, Fiat Chrysler Fast-Tracks Jeep Gearshift Fix - NBC News

I can imagine an actual old school automatic shifter would have been really useful in those runaway Toyotas. It would have been fairly simple and fast to pop them into neutral and you'd still have control over the car.
    Last edited by NSXType-R; 02-13-2017 at 02:10 PM.

Static Wicks

Larger aircraft (generally greater than 1.5 tons) have dissipating wicks on trail edge surfaces. I have 2 questions myself and do not where to post them on this site. 1) where can I find the 2 shift levers and 2 linkage rods for a 1967 F100? The sites I have found only have the internal column parts and column handle. Where can I find consumable parts support for Keijidosha cars like the Nissan Pao? The site I intend to buy one from only offers hard parts. For example, this vehicle uses a Bosch N3 oil filter, which is not listed on Bosch's site.

Quote Originally Posted by nissan pao View Post
    Larger aircraft (generally greater than 1.5 tons) have dissipating wicks on trail edge surfaces. I have 2 questions myself and do not where to post them on this site. 1) where can I find the 2 shift levers and 2 linkage rods for a 1967 F100? The sites I have found only have the internal column parts and column handle. Where can I find consumable parts support for Keijidosha cars like the Nissan Pao? The site I intend to buy one from only offers hard parts. For example, this vehicle uses a Bosch N3 oil filter, which is not listed on Bosch's site.
    I don't think you'll find a ready answer for your question on the Super Sabre here, but for the Pao, try your question here..

Nissan Forum | Nissan Forums - Index page
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I'm freshman here, wish to learn more from you guys. Thanks!

Just curious, is there any advantage to compressed natural gas cars/trucks/busses? Is it because they burn cleaner/better on emissions?

A lot of taxis in Asia are compressed natural gas.

I always feel like they're such a pain in terms of packaging and refueling that it wasn't worth pursuing.

As a very simple molecule - much simpler even than the idealized C8H18 and C6H6 of octane and benzene, respectively, that make up gasoline - you don't have to worry as much about unwanted polluting elements such as sulfur creeping into your fuel. See the prices of sweet vs. sour crude oil for another example of this playing out and their acceptability for refinement into diesel and gasoline. The sour stuff is diverted off into fuel oil (bunker fuel in maritime parlance, I believe) which can be burnt twelve nautical miles (or whatever international waters is) from anything approaching consequences...

Anyway, you get closer to the idealized hydrocarbon oxidation reaction and thus get far closer to only water and carbon dioxide in your exhaust. As a cyclist - being a cyclist is like being vegetarian: you have to tell everyone - the difference when I blow my nose after a commute behind diesel-burning and natural gas-burning buses is marked...

I'm sure your organic chemistry is much more finely-honed than mine; the nonsense chemistry they taught me as an aerospace engineer is pretty dim in the rearview mirror at this point. So you should probably be explaining this to me instead of the other way 'round.

EDIT: Also I think stoic is richer for CNG (the air fraction is smaller), so NOX is less of an issue, but I'm not sure.
    Last edited by f6fhellcat13; 03-05-2021 at 07:41 PM.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    As a very simple molecule - much simpler even than the idealized C8H18 and C6H6 of octane and benzene, respectively, that make up gasoline - you don't have to worry as much about unwanted polluting elements such as sulfur creeping into your fuel. See the prices of sweet vs. sour crude oil for another example of this playing out and their acceptability for refinement into diesel and gasoline. The sour stuff is diverted off into fuel oil (bunker fuel in maritime parlance, I believe) which can be burnt twelve nautical miles (or whatever international waters is) from anything approaching consequences...

Anyway, you get closer to the idealized hydrocarbon oxidation reaction and thus get far closer to only water and carbon dioxide in your exhaust. As a cyclist - being a cyclist is like being vegetarian: you have to tell everyone - the difference when I blow my nose after a commute behind diesel-burning and natural gas-burning buses is marked...

I'm sure your organic chemistry is much more finely-honed than mine; the nonsense chemistry they taught me as an aerospace engineer is pretty dim in the rearview mirror at this point. So you should probably be explaining this to me instead of the other way 'round.

EDIT: Also I think stoic is richer for CNG (the air fraction is smaller), so NOX is less of an issue, but I'm not sure.
    I think that's a reasonable answer. Thanks for saying that about organic chemistry, but it's been 6+ years since I've touched anything related to organic chemistry haha. I haven't thought about the stoichiometry for CNG, that may also be a factor too. Thanks again.

Other than the BMW M1, does anyone know of any mid engined cars with a mid mounted inline 6? I would imagine if you could stick an inline 6 you might as well go full V12.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Other than the BMW M1, does anyone know of any mid engined cars with a mid mounted inline 6? I would imagine if you could stick an inline 6 you might as well go full V12.
    Only car i can think of is Isdera Spyder 036i.
    "There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games"
    -Ernest Hemingway

Just a car history question- was there a reason why Ferrari moved away from flat 12s to V12s?

Was it a packaging issue? I feel like it wouldn't really be a problem with length, and the flat 12s have lower center of gravity.

They're pretty bulky: if you imagine a car's engine simplified into a rectangular prism (with the extremes of the engine defining those edges), you want to reduce the surface area of that prism to reduce the prominence of any given protuberance. So while flat 12s are quite shallow, they are very wide and are limiting in that respect. Especially in Ferraris that need the engine to be removed (often through the bottom) during regular service, it makes sense to have a smaller (narrower/shorter) V12 peg in that engine bay hole. I don't think Ferrari particularly cares about the ease of service with their customer cars, but marketing dictates that what the racers do, the roadcars must do as well; more on that in a moment. Quick maintenance is critical in endurance racing, so ease-of-access is a priority. Being able to box in the engine compartment more-thoroughly is good for rigidity; essentially broader "framerails" (or monocoque equivalent) and a narrower engine can only really be overcome with a flat engine by using that engine as a stressed member. Ferrari did that with the F50 (with a V-engine) and it seems to be once bitten, twice shy.

Back to racecars: one of the big drivers for Ferrari to ditch the flat engines in F1 was actually their low placement. With their wide cylinder hears, the size of the venturi tunnels under the car was limited compared to the British garagistes running the far-more-compact DFV. Thus the Brits were able to push their aero much further within the footprint of the car. Ferrari bowed to this pressure with the supersession by the 126C of the 312 series of cars. Once again, the racers use Vs, so the roadcars get them too.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Thread Information