Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Guess who's crashing?

Guess who's crashing?

I've found the neatest little website with statistics put together by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety/Highway Loss Data Institute. It presents different classes of vehicles and rates of collision, injury and theft for each.

Nifty!

Each section counts 100 as average rate of of collision. For example, the BMW Z4 rates at 108, very slightly above average. The Miata gets a low score, at 88, quite a bit below average.

In the admittedly sparse sports car section (Thanks, America), we've got the Pontiac GTO narrowly edging out the Honda S-2000 231 to 229. Wow! I knew people buying GTO's thought they were buying into a sense of invincible American muscle-car spirit (think "Rocky VI," except as soon as the music starts you go into a telephone pole sideways), but I didn't know they took it seriously!

As for the S-2000, well, what can you say? Their drivers are also a bit over-confident (or 17 years old) sometimes.

The Ford Muskrat, enjoying the dubious title of sports car, puts in a reasonable 116 for the V-6 variant, and a scarcely believably safe 136 in V-8 GT guise. I guess if you're going to crash your Muskrat, you're going to crash it whether or not you opted for the V-8.

The Porsche 911 coupe crashes slightly more than the convertible, at 198 to 187, likely due to Porsche 911 convertibles being purchased more for posing than driving. I'd say the numbers there are largely slanted by convertible 911 drivers being 66.3% more likely to be distracted from the task of driving by the jiggling breasts and asses of teenage pedestrians.

The Nissan 350Z posts a 203, a number that I think is very "Tokyo" and "Underground," and makes me think of drifting through fish markets - and into parked cars.

And yes, people actually do crash Lexus SC 430s, though the average SC 430 driver is 103 years old. It rates slightly above agerage at 115.

In the 4-door category, it's Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution by a landslide, bludgeoning the competion with a 428, the crashiest score on the database. It's head and shoulders above all competition in the small sedan class, with only the Subaru WRX (no STi was tested) coming in third at 251. (Subaru WRX drivers are smarter, more skilled, better nourished, have a greater life expectance, have better hair and are more likely to attract a mate than Evo drivers. Sorry, the statistics don't lie.)

Subaru WRX/WRX STi drivers are, coincidentally, 93 percent less likely to get Dragon Ball Z characters airbrushed on their vehicles. Research to determine the percentage of Animé character-adorned cars that crash compared to their stock counterparts has yet to be done, but I'm sure it's a substantial disparity.

The unhappy, star-crossed child of a Lancer Evo and a lawnmower, the Dodge Neon SRT-4, posts a 284, proving that sending huge throbbing gobs of power to a car's front wheels is just plain stupid, and that when a SRT-4 drivers says 'hey, watch this' in anything resembling a corner, you're best off taking your chances leaping from the vehicle.

In 2-door non-sports cars, the Scion Tc, a vehicle that I utterly despise, takes the title of most crashy car with a 229, edging out the Hyundai Tiburon by 35 points.

The BMW M3, mysteriously classified as a luxury car, simply blows the luxury category away with a score of 291 to that of its nearest rival, the Lexus IS 300's 214. Holding up the British end, the Jag XJ sedan narrowly misses the Lexus' mark at 212.

Unsurprisingly, the Subaru WRX attains the title of crashiest wagon, at 147 followed, intriguingly, by the v-6 Dodge Magnum's 140. The Magnum Hemi limps in at 127, leading me to believe Magnum Hemi drivers just aren't trying hard enough. Even the Scion Xa, a miserable little wheezing excuse for a 4-door hot hatch, beats the Magnum Hemi's score with a 134.

Final results tallied, and it's:
    MITSUBISHI EVO!!! 2-FAZT 2 EVUN KEEP UP WITZ-OUN SELFZ AN STAY ON DA ROAD CUZ IT TURBOFAST #1 6-TIMES MOST LIKEY TO CRASHZ THAN A MO-FACKIN FOCUS ALWAYZ SUCKAZZZ!!! !! WTF FTW OMG LOL 4-EVR. EXCEPT 4 SKILINES, UF COURZ.com

For the full results, a pretty good read, go to: http://www.iihs.org/brochures/ictl/ictl.html

cheers.
    Last edited by LandQuail; 11-18-2006 at 03:07 PM.

Awesome post dude, great read.

+1
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

thanks man, that was actually quite interesting
    The McLaren F1- The most fun you can have with your clothes on

"Live Fast, Die Young, and Leave a Good Looking Corpse" -James Dean, weeks before dying in a car crash at the age of 24

Most entertaining post I have ever read. Good one.
    Go n-ithe an cat thu, is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat

When you go Home, Tell them for us and say 'For your tommorrow, We Gave Our Today.'

You never cease to make me shit my pants with laughter.

Happy to help.

That was awesome man. I've had a rough week, but that made me smile

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Nog
    That was awesome man. I've had a rough week, but that made me smile
    Same for me. This week just sucked. LandQuail's lengthy comedic contributions are always helpful.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Loved the Wrx part You should be in automotive journalsim
    Last edited by The_Canuck; 11-18-2006 at 10:50 PM.

thanks 4 takin the time to inform us other people that don't pay attencion to stuff like this. Great post and (who would have thought) acctually very interesting. Keep up the good work..^^,

informed UCP lover

ROFLWAFFLE

Good stuff Landquail
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

to sum up all of the comments youll get:

"hahahahahahahahhaa." and "good job" and both are right in my book

Blimey, interesting stuff...
    .................................................................................:¦Back Again¦:.................................................................................

haha, look at the Evo's score.
    2011 Honda Civic Si

ATHEIST and damn proud of it.

Fantastic post. We need more of that.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information