Thread: Hmm...

Hmm...

He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

Pretty interesting detective work done there - clever work.

I don't really understand hacking at all but Google hacking seems pretty clever to me.

As for the gymnasts, there never really was a doubt in my mind after the initial reports that they were underage. The question is - will the IOC take any action, or will it once again show itself as corrupt?

Very clever work, yeah.

What's the IOC done before that's corrupt? I doubt any action will be taken unfortunately...

Quote Originally Posted by my porsche View Post
    Very clever work, yeah.

What's the IOC done before that's corrupt? I doubt any action will be taken unfortunately...
    Maybe you are not informed about the IOC, but it has historically been notoriously corrupt - IOC members getting wined and dined by prospect cities and influenced with perks and gifts - this is a recurring theme in the selection of cities.

Beyond corruption, you have general mismanagement and poor decisions made by the IOC.

The IOC has announced baseball and softball will be not present at the 2012 games, softball will not be present according to the CBC due to American dominance - yet this year, the Japanese won the gold medal.

If they are canceling it due to dominance of America, why not cancel diving due to Chinese dominance?

Why are certain popular sports such as golf left off the Olympics yet obscure largely regional ones left on? Why isn't rugby at the Olympics? Why did the IOC chose to hold the Olympics in countries such as Germany during Hitler's reign, Moscow under the USSR, and Beijing under the Communist party?

The IOC claims it is not a political organization but is it really that wise to show support to the way China is run by allowing them to host the Olympics? The city that finished in voting to Beijing was Toronto and I can tell you with great certainty that a vast majority of the world's population would have no problem with the games being held in Canada and there would be no mainstream political controversy to holding them here.

So yeah, the IOC is a horribly run, notoriously corrupt organization that has done itself no favours by holding the games in China.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    The IOC has announced baseball and softball will be not present at the 2012 games, softball will not be present according to the CBC due to American dominance - yet this year, the Japanese won the gold medal.

If they are canceling it due to dominance of America, why not cancel diving due to Chinese dominance?
    IIRC it was actually cuz most baseball and softball leagues have summer seasons so none of the pros play in the olympics. the IOC is as coorupt as you said and more
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    IIRC it was actually cuz most baseball and softball leagues have summer seasons so none of the pros play in the olympics. the IOC is as coorupt as you said and more
    Ding ding ding.

They just said on NBC that the IOC has called the Internation Gymnastics Federation to help investigate this and is considering disqualifying the medals for individual and team events for 1 to 3 of China's women's team.

Why are certain popular sports such as golf left off the Olympics yet obscure largely regional ones left on? Why isn't rugby at the Olympics?

IIRC the sports are chosen due to their lack of international professional series/championships.

Golf has the PGA, Rugby has billions of cups and championships and so on and so forth.

What obscure reigonal sports are in the IOC's list?

Why did the IOC chose to hold the Olympics in countries such as Germany during Hitler's reign, Moscow under the USSR, and Beijing under the Communist party?
    you know, call me silly - but I think the USSR was under a communist style rule too. Weren't the nazi's a political party before they went war mad? thats like asking why atlanta had the '96 olympics under clinton's (i dont actually know if it was clinton in 1996 - but my point remains valid) administration, sure he turned out to be abit of a sex hound (I think he was a brilliant leader) but he was all gold in the eyes of the people in '96
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Quote Originally Posted by whiteballz View Post
    IIRC the sports are chosen due to their lack of international professional series/championships.

Golf has the PGA, Rugby has billions of cups and championships and so on and so forth.

What obscure reigonal sports are in the IOC's list?

you know, call me silly - but I think the USSR was under a communist style rule too. Weren't the nazi's a political party before they went war mad? thats like asking why atlanta had the '96 olympics under clinton's (i dont actually know if it was clinton in 1996 - but my point remains valid) administration, sure he turned out to be abit of a sex hound (I think he was a brilliant leader) but he was all gold in the eyes of the people in '96
    In regards to your first point, then what about tennis, hockey, and baseball?

What about the yearly IAAF world championships and dozens and dozens of meets yearly? I think pretty much all Olympics sports have world championships outside the Olympics. These are not televised I know that this may be the point, but no less - certain popular sports are included and others left out in a seemingly arbitrary manner.

Forget what I said about obscure regional sports - I was overzealous but there is a potential for some to be included (I'm thinking biathlon, ski jump, and not regional but obscure - handball).

As for your last point I am only vaguely clear on what you are saying. Are you saying that it was OK to hold the Olympics in '36 or the USSR in '80?

Was the nazi political party killing innocents in '36? - Whats wrong with the USSR in the 80's?

the IAAF i think lack a definate championship or perhaps in a national championship that denotes IOC qualification (needs to be a country based sport?) I'll gladly admit Im no expert, but I know its not completely random.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

As for your last point I am only vaguely clear on what you are saying. Are you saying that it was OK to hold the Olympics in '36 or the USSR in '80?
    What's socially acceptable, right or wrong varies with time and place. In the 30s, it might have been "Oh whatever, Hitler's just being a total douche" but now we see it as genocide. Who knows? Maybe it'll all be the same 60 years later.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Excuse me while I argue something in the mindset of how it will be accepted in 50 years.

'Information - ... - ...'

Quote and debate.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Quote Originally Posted by whiteballz View Post
    Was the nazi political party killing innocents in '36? - Whats wrong with the USSR in the 80's?

the IAAF i think lack a definate championship or perhaps in a national championship that denotes IOC qualification (needs to be a country based sport?) I'll gladly admit Im no expert, but I know its not completely random.
    The Nazi party in 1936 had long since begun it's persecution of political undesirables, the disabled, homosexuals, and the Jews.

The USSR in 1980 was an oppressive government that controlled the media, had just invaded Afghanistan under flimsy pretenses and was very corrupt. You may think that the USSR was OK at this time but the Western world did not and boycotted the games.

The IAAF holds yearly world championships with the possible exception of Olympic years.

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering View Post
    What's socially acceptable, right or wrong varies with time and place. In the 30s, it might have been "Oh whatever, Hitler's just being a total douche" but now we see it as genocide. Who knows? Maybe it'll all be the same 60 years later.
    Sure things were viewed differently and anti-Semitism existed throughout the Western world so this is understandable.

However, Germany was a dictatorship at this point and granting the games to Berlin was in some aspect validating Germany and attending the games was arguably a from of tolerance of this government.

Dictatorships have the ways and means to bribe members of the IOC, and in return they get loads of propaganda opportunities. So the bribed member of the IOC wins and the country wins. Its an unfortunate thing called business.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

I think the IOC wants a nit of controversy, otherwise it'd be boring.

Interestingly in one of the women's Taekwando competitions a Chinese girl was given a victory in a quarter final match after the judges missed a blatant winning kick to the head from a British girl. The British team lodged an official complaint, and after reviewing the footage the judges were forced to overturn the decision and award the victory to the British girl and eliminate the home favourite Chinese girl. Sadly it meant that in her next fight the poor British girl was getting booed by the largely Chinese crowd, but justice was definitely done. Goes to show that the officials aren't all afraid of going against the wishes of the Chinese when the chips are down.
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

Thread Information