Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need some help with drawing project for precalculus.

Quote Originally Posted by blingbling View Post
    Deriving those would cause me to have massive rage malfunction. They all look completely horrible (from memory).

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Deriving those would cause me to have massive rage malfunction. They all look completely horrible (from memory).
    They are completely horrible

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie View Post
    They are completely horrible
    actually, during the third course of pure math, the teacher showed us some methods to solve bitches like those in a snap.
    they are still horrible nonetheless.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    actually, during the third course of pure math, the teacher showed us some methods to solve bitches like those in a snap.
    they are still horrible nonetheless.
    I know a pretty good way of solving them - use a Calculus program.

I know a pretty good way of solving them - use a Calculus program.
    we don't use computers at University...you know, keep living out of the real world
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by blingbling View Post
    Let's not make his head explode just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    Over here I blelive highschool math goes algebra I, geometry(these first two can be taken in middle school), algebra II, Precalculus, calculus.
    there are other math classes but im pretty sure this is the core math cuurriculum for most schools.
    The "grade level" curriculum (which few people at my school take)
    Algebra I (9) Geometry (10) Algebra II (11) Precalculus (12)

The "advanced" curriculum (which most people at my school take)
    Algebra I (8) Geometry (9) Algebra II (10) Precalculus (11) Calculus (12)

The "alternate advanced" curriculum (which a good chunk take)
    Algebra I (7) Geometry (8) Algebra II (9) Precalculus (10) Statistics (11) Calculus (12)
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

For as bad as I hear Calculus is, I have heard pretty negative reviews of Statistics - it is boring and stupid basically which I would tend to agree with. I never took it thankfully.

When I left school, they were just starting what I think was an American idea - Advanced Placement. It was nearly the same thing but extra work and I didn't see it necessary and didn't want the extra work especially considering many universities here at the time didn't even take it as credit. I saw high school as a time to have fun - that's still how I see university and that partially explains my poor marks I think.

How is the AP situation now where you guys respectively are? Are any of you taking these courses?

m p, are you at a good school or something becasue why else would most kids be taking the advanced math? Even still, how many people actually need calculus in their upcoming university careers? There weren't many courses that required it that I saw - engineering, mathematics - that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

For as bad as I hear Calculus is, I have heard pretty negative reviews of Statistics - it is boring and stupid basically which I would tend to agree with. I never took it thankfully.

When I left school, they were just starting what I think was an American idea - Advanced Placement. It was nearly the same thing but extra work and I didn't see it necessary and didn't want the extra work especially considering many universities here at the time didn't even take it as credit. I saw high school as a time to have fun - that's still how I see university and that partially explains my poor marks I think.

How is the AP situation now where you guys respectively are? Are any of you taking these courses?

m p, are you at a good school or something becasue why else would most kids be taking the advanced math? Even still, how many people actually need calculus in their upcoming university careers? There weren't many courses that required it that I saw - engineering, mathematics - that's all I can think of off the top of my head.
    AP has infiltrated every aspect of school life, it's annoying. For instance; say you wanted to take a more advanced calculus or chemistry class, () the only way to do that at my school is to take and AP. That means teaching exactly what's in the book and staying on the strictest of schedules in the process. Fortunately my calculus teach is an incredibly good teacher and can move around within the curriculum and make it interesting with relative ease, however, my chemistry teacher cannot and the course has made me loathe and detest chemistry to no end, even though it's probably the AP's fault not the subject itself's.
    My school has considered getting rid of APs many times but stupid nervous paranoid parents are worried that it might put a dent in their child's precious GPA (your GPA is automatically boosted when you take an AP class).

M_P, the way it works at my school is that Stat along with a number of other classes are math electives that seniors in either of the top two tracks can take. I had heard only bad things about stat, so I picked Number Theory which has the added bonus of having the same excellent teacher as my Calc class.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

stats 1 at the university level is a nazi on par with integral calculus, or calc 2 (when i say nazi, i mean it is a computational nightmare, not conceptually demanding like high level physics). stats 2 and higher have the same rigor as calc 4 computationally. i got a buddy at UW that had to pick between calc 4 or stats 2 and literally flipped a coin. a lose-lose situation.
    it was actually me who killed vasilli zaitsev, heinz thorwald, carlos hatchcock, and simo hayha

There weren't many courses that required it that I saw - engineering, mathematics - that's all I can think of off the top of my head.
    any general science program requires calculus at the high school level. and the sci programs that have it as optional nail u with it in freshman year anyways.

some rigourous economics and business programs also require it. advanced mathematical models needs calculus to be built. computer science as well, along with actuarial science. calculus is very useful... conceptually. making us compute them, however, is not.
    it was actually me who killed vasilli zaitsev, heinz thorwald, carlos hatchcock, and simo hayha

But do the science programs actually use it high level studies? I don't really think so.

Even in business/economics how often are you going to use calculus?

... you are kidding, right?

But do the science programs actually use it high level studies? I don't really think so.

Even in business/economics how often are you going to use calculus?
    i think you end up using it significantly more the higher you get. in my program im going to be doing calculus based statistics, coupled with big nasty linear programs.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

yeah any time you have rates of any kind (rate of absorbtion, inflation, fluid movement) that are continual and not discreet, calculus will have very versatile uses. it is very powerful.

I don't remember the statistic exactly but my school is something like top 100 public in the country or top 100 public/private in the state. I can't remember, either way yes, my school is considered very good, definitely the best public school in the Houston area. Double edged sword.

A LOT of people use calculus, engineers, computer programmers, economists, chemists, physicists, anyone who needs to find area of a curved surface. Some of them might not do the calculus themselves, they might use programs, but they're utilizing it nonetheless.
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

Thread Information