Page 145 of 168 FirstFirst ... 4595135143144145146147155 ... LastLast
Results 2,161 to 2,175 of 2518

Thread: "What's this car?" Official Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's #7, Damiano.
    I take it the Portuguese have a strong rivalry with Spain, much like Canada and the US, Australia and NZ, etc.

Have you picked up the basics of their language having in mind the idea "the enemy of my enemy is my friend?"

I saw a shirt time ago which said "L'autonomia que ens cal és la de Portugal". Which means the Autonomy we need is that of Portugal.

I guess that explains pretty much everything.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I saw a shirt time ago which said "L'autonomia que ens cal és la de Portugal". Which means the Autonomy we need is that of Portugal.

I guess that explains pretty much everything.
    I understand. My Mother's constant mocking of the English has made me into somewhat of a Scottish Nationalist, though I was not born there and have never lived there.

Scotland receives a lot of coin from England due to it's backwardness, but I still feel that being the master of your own ship could be worth more than money, or even quality of life. It is something I really should look into.

What is kind of strange about me being a 1.5th generation Canadian, is that in many ways, I feel that I am seen as "more Canadian" than non-whites that have been here for generations simply because I am of white western European decent. Sad but true.

As a ridiculous aside, the most rebellious provinces in Medieval Total War I were Portugal followed by Scotland.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    What is kind of strange about me being a 1.5th generation Canadian, is that in many ways, I feel that I am seen as "more Canadian" than non-whites that have been here for generations simply because I am of white western European decent. Sad but true.

As a ridiculous aside, the most rebellious provinces in Medieval Total War I were Portugal followed by Scotland.
    Sort of understand what you mean. People over here are pretty harsh on immigrants from other countries, even if Italians keep on emigrate even nowadays. At the same time if the said immigrant is a nice girl, then everything is OK.

Happened a few times with my girlfriend and that was just plain ignorance at work.

Oh, thanks Albert for this almost Portuguese consultation.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

It seems to me that Europe is much more anti-immigration than Canada. Then again, Canada is probably the most immigrant friendly country in the world.

Still, there are huge problems and a lot of discrimination, but it is ingrained in Canadian culture (or at least regions of Canada) that multiculturalism is a key value.

In how many other countries is this the case?

Believe it or not: Germany.
    FIXIE EVOLVED INTO SMALL MOTORBIKE! Now driving a Simson KR51 <3

Dream ride: red 1971 Opel Commodore GS/E

I think Europe looks more anti-immigration because of the proximity and ease of cross border movement from MANY different cultures within and outside Europe.
    Scotland has awlays been positive to immigration - in much the same way as Canada - and as much as I defend the view that it's because we're "nice folks", I think part of it is that we dont see many immigrants moving to hear relative to south of England given that the major route through is via the ENglish Channel ports.
    Canada is the same. No country borders it where immigrants will come from.
    USA has Mexico directly.
    So Canada see mich less of the "difficult" immigration cases.
    Nobody has a problem with relatively low numbers of immigrants of "high quality".
    But lots of low income causes issues.

However, I think it shoudl still be embraced as all things are cyclic.
    Only a few years ago Polish plunbers were very busy in the UK and it's questionable if our building boom coudl have been done with only UK workers. Now the "boom" has gone, some have gone home.
    British builders did the same in the 60s when Germany was going through it's building boom.

Freedom of movement is a good thing as long as there are no "wrong" incentives to do so.
    ie free medical aid or free legal aid or free housing ..... these become the wrong tyhpe of attractor for an immigrant to leave one location and move to another
    AND if it happens is a source for mistrust and alienation of the people concerned.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Canada is the same. No country borders it where immigrants will come from.
    USA has Mexico directly.
    So Canada see mich less of the "difficult" immigration cases.
    Nobody has a problem with relatively low numbers of immigrants of "high quality".
    But lots of low income causes issues.
    I want to say that I am in favour of immigration, but when I go around Toronto, I really can't agree with saying that there are relatively low numbers of immigrants of high quality. I do not have data offhand to support this however.

Immigrant communities - specifically certain ethnicities - face real trouble when immigrating here. Canada has many, many immigrants, and many are quite poor when compared to those that have been here a long time. Visible minorities make up 16% of the population, and 11% speak something other than English of French at home. There are those that immigrate here and then bring over their family and their parents say aren't always productive citizens. In Toronto, I believe the widely bandied about statistic is greater that 49% of those that live here were not born in Canada.

What I'm trying to say is that immigration is huge in Canada and those that immigrate here typically work in lower paying jobs than Canadians of European decent. This is anecdotal, but I knew a gynecological surgeon from Pakistan that immigrated to Canada and worked on a factory line. This country needs to make it easier for skilled immigrants to transfer their skills and become hired in their area of expertise - sadly, that isn't the case.

I understand. My Mother's constant mocking of the English has made me into somewhat of a Scottish Nationalist, though I was not born there and have never lived there.

Scotland receives a lot of coin from England due to it's backwardness, but I still feel that being the master of your own ship could be worth more than money, or even quality of life. It is something I really should look into.

Yes, only we acutally have a huge fiscal deficit against Spain.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Yes, only we acutally have a huge fiscal deficit against Spain.
    Yes... My research paper is coming along now and that is a rather curious and atypical situation in your guys' case.

It's the same for the Basques - they on average are wealthier than their Spanish counterparts. I typically associate nationalist movements with less well off groups/regions that fell exploited/oppressed and want to liberate themselves and determine their own path...

I guess you feel oppressed and exploited, but just in a different way...

Scotland receives a lot of coin from England due to it's backwardness
    Missed that comment first time around ....
    That's not the reality of the situation when ALL taxes and incomes are accounted.
    The politicians who are anti-Scottish ( or more common who dont want the English looking to closely at THEIR actions ) will oft quote the payments. But in reality it's not liek that and many economists now say an independant Scotland would have weathered this financial crisis. We never had the excesses of growth ( or retraction ) as the rest it seems.
    Scotland pays higher business rates than England because WE chose to do a re-evaluation years ago that the rest of UK has still avoided after nearly 30 years.
    What riles lots of southerners is we still follow a socially-minded policy of doing what is better for the common good and not leting all things run open loop.
    Of course what riles Scot Nats is that if WE had controlled the oil as Norway did instead of Thatcher using it to make a few millionaires more wealthy then we woudl be sitting on a huge fund of future income instead.
    Jsut reflecting Scotland's peoples rolse during the centuries.
    You wanted a mercenary to fearlessly attack and kill people on your behalf ? Get a Scot.
    Hell the English used the Scot's to kill the Scot's ( google Glencoe Massacre )

Maybe we need a thread for your research Kitdy to limit these diversions
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Bat Mobile? I dont know... Cant help you..

nice caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaars

I have seen a Giulia sedan shooting break, but never a GT.
    Is this a Photoshop?
    If not, who did the coachwork?
    Attached Images Attached Images

"I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Thread Information