Thread: LE MANS: Peugeot Unveils 2009 908 HY Hybrid Racer

LE MANS: Peugeot Unveils 2009 908 HY Hybrid Racer

LE MANS: Peugeot Unveils 2009 908 HY Hybrid Racer
    Peugeot unveils the highest-profile Hybrid system yet; aims to use the new ‘908 HY’ in 2009 if allowed.

AUTO-RACING - The Online Motorsports Authority - NASCAR Racing Schedule - F1 - Formula 1 - Drag Racing - Motorsports - Indy Car - SPEEDtv.com

View the Peugeot 908 HY Photo Gallery: SPEEDtv.com - Gallery

View the Peugeot 908 HY Technical Presentation Slides: SPEEDtv.com - Gallery

Cal Naughton, Jr.: So when you say psychosomatic, you mean like he could start a fire with his thoughts?

that's come a little unexpected, to me at least. since they couldn't beat Audi with a similar technology, probably they though it was a good idea to move a step forward their opponents and try something different.

thanks btw!
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

still a deisel. hmmm Pug seems to be trying to exploit every little new technology, that hasnt been completly regulated, or has some regulation leewayby the ACO. and good for them
    Last edited by f6fhellcat13; 09-13-2008 at 02:28 PM.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

ACO you mean, not FIA....

I like how it can run on pure electric in pitlane....very interesting indeed...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    ACO you mean, not FIA....

I like how it can run on pure electric in pitlane....very interesting indeed...
    Youtre right, Im sorry. spent too much time ranting about the kimi lewis penalty these pas coupla days

I don't know , but, is it suposed that, if allowed, the hybrid racecars will benefit from special rules? Just like in the case of diesels, to mantain competiviness against petrol cars .

If not, I think that it would be hard to compensate the weight penalty just with with less fuel cosumption and more power, although if they can add 60kW of the electric motor to the specified power,the gain is cosiderable .
    Life is too short to stay, race!

Gora Euskadi! Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by mikelzapi3 View Post
    I don't know , but, is it suposed that, if allowed, the hybrid racecars will benefit from special rules? Just like in the case of diesels, to mantain competiviness against petrol cars .

If not, I think that it would be hard to compensate the weight penalty just with with less fuel cosumption and more power, although if they can add 60kW of the electric motor to the specified power,the gain is cosiderable .
    cars are well under the minimum weight, but loaded with extra weight in the right places each race to balance optimally the car. so the hybrid system wouldn't add any weight, but reduce the additional masses to add to reach the minimum limit.
    beside, I think the gain would be enough to balance even the supposed additional weight.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

I just hope the ACO changes the rules to make the diesel vs petrol battle more fair.

As for the hybrid, I'm up for it but only if it's good by itself, I mean, if it's faster without needing to give it an artificial advantage with the regulations.
    Live for Speed - Online Racing Simulator
    http://www.liveforspeed.net

What I'm wondering is whether or not a hybrid would be faster if there were no minimum weight restrictions. I read some of the technical slides and Peugeot say the system is 65 kg - however because the alternator, original battery, and starting motor are no longer required, the system is only 45 kg heavier. They want to get that to 30/35 kg.

The car gets 80 extra horsepower for 20 seconds a lap - I'm not sure if this lap is Le Mans or not.

Anyways, I suppose some calculations could be done to roughly see if they would be faster or not if you knew how much ballast they carried, and what circuit they are referring to when they say 80 hp for 20 seconds.

EDIT: Has anyone (here's looking at you MPME) heard any rumours as to when we will see the 908HY in competition? I remember hearing it may even be at PLM but that seemed to go away. Maybe Sebring next year and possibly Le Mans for competitive tests?
    Last edited by Kitdy; 09-13-2008 at 06:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    What I'm wondering is whether or not a hybrid would be faster if there were no minimum weight restrictions. I read some of the technical slides and Peugeot say the system is 65 kg - however because the alternator, original battery, and starting motor are no longer required, the system is only 45 kg heavier. They want to get that to 30/35 kg.

The car gets 80 extra horsepower for 20 seconds a lap - I'm not sure if this lap is Le Mans or not.

Anyways, I suppose some calculations could be done to roughly see if they would be faster or not if you knew how much ballast they carried, and what circuit they are referring to when they say 80 hp for 20 seconds.

EDIT: Has anyone (here's looking at you MPME) heard any rumours as to when we will see the 908HY in competition? I remember hearing it may even be at PLM but that seemed to go away. Maybe Sebring next year and possibly Le Mans for competitive tests?
    There's supposed to be 1 at Sebring. PLM seems to stretch it a bit. It's probably ready to race, but I'm not sure if Peugeot would enter it right now. It could be possible, to gauge how competitive it is right now, especially with the Zytek hybrid.

All depends if you read the article I posted...which has info on when Peugeot plans on running the car.
    Cal Naughton, Jr.: So when you say psychosomatic, you mean like he could start a fire with his thoughts?

A simulated lap of La Sarthe, yes.

I think the article said le mans next year.

Thread Information