Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Nissan GTR wins another Car and Driver review

Quote Originally Posted by CamNismo View Post
    yea...rich white guys who have nothing better to do than spend their money on something that will never leave the garage...if I had a Skyline I would surely keep it nice, but I damn sure would not let it sit in a garage all day, drive the thing...
    If I had to buy it I'd keep stock. I don't know how that would make me a "rich white guys who have nothing better to do than spend their money on something that will never leave the garage". So who's talking about stereotypes now...
    Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    Like I mentioned before, I think what makes me a "GTR guy"(apparently) is my amazement at some simple numbers...

1740kg
    480 something hp
    Sub-4 sec 0-60
    7:29 around the ring
    2 prop-shaft in the middle(just kinda funny IMO, and one is carbon fibre, having the 2nd one sorta negates any benefit of that)
    runs on runflat tires
    costs only 70k USD

Quite ridiculous all in all.....and this is a car approved by Carlos Ghosn, a renowned bean-counting, cost-cutting, no-non-sense-car-making CEO of Nissan/Renault....which means they have to be making profit off this thing thats somewhat limited production and having a hand-built engine....
    Because there's something called image.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering View Post
    There's a difference between enjoying a stock car and tuning the crap out of it. Without a test of the base cars, we wouldn't be able to say - WOW! The Mine's GT-R is several times faster than the stock GT-R.

I'm not against modification. I just feel that some cars are fine as-is.
    How many Japanese cars would you leave stock???

Okay, now the real question, how many European Supercars would you like to have stock???

We are talking about a Tuner Car!!! Every GTR has been tuned, and the new one is no different. It will be tuned in Japan, USA, and where ever it is shipped to. Were not talking about some Mercedes, Porsches, Audi..etc...

It might be a Japanese Supercar, but that doesn't mean the top garages in Japan and even individuals wont be tuning this car...it will and should be tuned

ohh...and since you brought up Mines, I doubt you read the article in "Modified Mag" but Im sure you know that they tuned the GTR with coilovers, bigger brakes, sway bars, slight aero parts, and only added 35 hp to the engine with the new exhaust and their VX-ROM(which not only improves power but also removes the 180km/h limiter)....with this all said it ran 4 secs faster @ Tsukuba over the stock version GTR, and it still had all that luxurious interior and weight....

I cant wait to see how fast it is when they really tune it...

I know this should probably be in Whiteballs Thread bout the DYNO GTR, but im sure most of you know this or will read it here....
    Oo____oO GT-R

Quote Originally Posted by Ingolstadt View Post
    MKII i meant ...
    ah, the one with the cleanest lines of them all...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    ah, the one with the cleanest lines of them all...
    Yes I'd agree with that, and the crisp MkII sits well on those flaired guards & attractive deep-dish wheels. Later Supras just got more bulbous & bloated imo

More recent test has a slower GTR time, my guess is that the earlier ones were ringers. This test is inline with vehicle specs.

ACR = 3366 lbs 600hp - 5.61
    GT2 = 3175 lbs 530hp - 5.99
    ZO6 = 3130 lbs 505hp - 6.19
    GTR = 3814 lbs 480hp - 7.94

The ZO6 time was especially slow because it wears the worse tires in the group. The GTR time was especially slow because it has the most weight and least power in the group.

- "On the road course, the GT-R floundered at first. Bawling, irrepressible under steer was all the bulky Bridgestone run-flats could muster in slower turns. Along twisty byways, it was cited for being colder and less thrilling than the other mega-personalities in the test. "It's a 500-hp Prelude,"
    "As I walk through the valley of rice I shall fear no turbo, for torque art with me and the enemy is fat."

Quote Originally Posted by monaroCountry View Post
    More recent test has a slower GTR time, my guess is that the earlier ones were ringers. This test is inline with vehicle specs.

ACR = 3366 lbs 600hp - 5.61
    GT2 = 3175 lbs 530hp - 5.99
    ZO6 = 3130 lbs 505hp - 6.19
    GTR = 3814 lbs 480hp - 7.94

The ZO6 time was especially slow because it wears the worse tires in the group. The GTR time was especially slow because it has the most weight and least power in the group.

- "On the road course, the GT-R floundered at first. Bawling, irrepressible under steer was all the bulky Bridgestone run-flats could muster in slower turns. Along twisty byways, it was cited for being colder and less thrilling than the other mega-personalities in the test. "It's a 500-hp Prelude,"
    What are these times for?

You have mentioned before you think the early ones were ringers, we get the idea.

The GT-R is the worst car ever made, etc.

How many Japanese cars would you leave stock???

Okay, now the real question, how many European Supercars would you like to have stock???

We are talking about a Tuner Car!!! Every GTR has been tuned, and the new one is no different. It will be tuned in Japan, USA, and where ever it is shipped to. Were not talking about some Mercedes, Porsches, Audi..etc...

It might be a Japanese Supercar, but that doesn't mean the top garages in Japan and even individuals wont be tuning this car...it will and should be tuned
    I'm not against tuning Japanese cars, I'm just saying that we need tests on base cars to see if tuners are blowing smoke or talking the talk. It seems that Nissan really wanted this to be a GT car rather than a tuner car, with all the electrical crap attached.

As for European cars I would keep stock, we have the 1953 to present Ferrari lineup, the Ford RS200, the Alpine A110, the Lancia Stratos, and a million other cars.

Japanese cars? Honda S500, Honda S600, Honda NSX, NSX-R, etc.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering View Post
    I'm not against tuning Japanese cars, I'm just saying that we need tests on base cars to see if tuners are blowing smoke or talking the talk. It seems that Nissan really wanted this to be a GT car rather than a tuner car, with all the electrical crap attached.

As for European cars I would keep stock, we have the 1953 to present Ferrari lineup, the Ford RS200, the Alpine A110, the Lancia Stratos, and a million other cars.

Japanese cars? Honda S500, Honda S600, Honda NSX, NSX-R, etc.
    Hey Im not saying you dont like tuning Japanese cars and you make a very good point with saying that we need a baseline to see what the car does without mods...very true....but I just dont like how ppl compare it with supercars and stuff...although "Motor Trend" says the GTR is the quote Corvette Killer & better than a Porsche 911, so I guess it really is a Supercar in some sorts....now I also agree wit ur line up of Euro cars u would leave stock but why are all the Japanes cars you picked Honda???

you dont like the Toyota 2000GT, 510 Datsun, 69 Skyline GTR, 73 Skyline GTR, or what about the Datsun 240, 260, or 280Z's????

and since me & you are talking GTR's...do you like the new V6 twin turbo or the old RB26DETT inline 6 Twin Turbo???

Personally I like the old inline 6, sure its only 280hp and the V6 is 480hp, but the RB26 didnt hold the other GTR's back and you can get so much hp out of it also....whats your thoughts?
    Oo____oO GT-R

and since me & you are talking GTR's...do you like the new V6 twin turbo or the old RB26DETT inline 6 Twin Turbo???

Personally I like the old inline 6, sure its only 280hp and the V6 is 480hp, but the RB26 didnt hold the other GTR's back and you can get so much hp out of it also....whats your thoughts?
    if you put the new V6 in an older R34/32 etc, the inline 6 will hold it back in comparison.
    it's heavy, long, and is the reason the 32's especially run through front tires a lot when pushed.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    if you put the new V6 in an older R34/32 etc, the inline 6 will hold it back in comparison.
    it's heavy, long, and is the reason the 32's especially run through front tires a lot when pushed.
    I remember another thread where some people tried to find the weight of the RB26 and no one had a firm answer.

All this talk of ringers has me wondering if someone will be able to replicate the Ring times Nissan had.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    What are these times for?

You have mentioned before you think the early ones were ringers, we get the idea.

The GT-R is the worst car ever made, etc.
    Those are not times of laps.

Im just saying that the power to weight is in line with the speed of the C&D test (except for the ZO6 which is let down by its garbage tires).
    "As I walk through the valley of rice I shall fear no turbo, for torque art with me and the enemy is fat."

Those are not times of laps.
    I knew it was not laptimes but only got it was the weight to power ratio.

What were the 1/4 mile times they got for each car?

- "Bawling, irrepressible under steer was all the bulky Bridgestone run-flats could muster in slower turns."
    (except for the ZO6 which is let down by its garbage tires).
    Sounds like the GTR has shite tyres as well. Now who's the fanboy?
    Last edited by 2ndclasscitizen; 06-24-2008 at 08:35 PM.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Hey Im not saying you dont like tuning Japanese cars and you make a very good point with saying that we need a baseline to see what the car does without mods...very true....but I just dont like how ppl compare it with supercars and stuff...although "Motor Trend" says the GTR is the quote Corvette Killer & better than a Porsche 911, so I guess it really is a Supercar in some sorts....now I also agree wit ur line up of Euro cars u would leave stock but why are all the Japanes cars you picked Honda???

you dont like the Toyota 2000GT, 510 Datsun, 69 Skyline GTR, 73 Skyline GTR, or what about the Datsun 240, 260, or 280Z's????

1./2. Notice the etc. part. There are thousands upon thousands of Japanese cars I would like to keep stock. If I named them all, I would fill up pages if not volumes.

3. I love both equally. The RB26DETT had a great life, but only time will tell if it will have the same tuning potential. Of course, I'd like to see someone cram the new VR into a Fairlady Z or Roadster. Maybe even a 510...
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen View Post
    Sounds like the GTR has shite tyres as well. Now who's the fanboy?
    Yeah I was kinda wondering if he was a Corvette fanboy myself.

Thread Information