Thread: Rambler Classic

Falls Church (home), Charlottesville (college), Virginia, USA

Rambler Classic

Rambler Classic 1965

The American Motors Company was formed in 1954 by the merger of Nash and Hudson, and for the first 15 years of its existence branded its products as Ramblers.

In 1965, Rambler had three main model lines: the compact American, the mid-level Classic, and the full-size Ambassador.

The Classic was redesigned for 1965 with squared-off fenders, but sales nevertheless saw a 4 percent decline from 1964. Available bodystyles on the Classic’s 112 inch wheelbase were 2- or 4-door sedans, a hardtop coupe, a convertible (new for 1965), and a station wagon, called the Cross Country. Three trim levels were available: 550, 660, and 770. Base prices ranged from $2142 for a Classic 550 2-door sedan up to $2727 for the Classic 770 Cross Country wagon. The wagon models came standard with a roof rack, and could also be ordered with a rear-facing third row of seats and a side-opening tailgate.

The Classic’s base engine was a 195.6 cubic inch 6-cylinder engine with 128 horsepower. Buyers could upgrade to a 327 cubic inch V-8 with 270 horsepower.

The Classic wagon was mildly redesigned with vertical taillights in 1966, and the entire Classic range was dropped for 1967, when its place in the lineup was taken over by the Rambler Rebel.

I spotted this 1965 Rambler Classic 660 Cross Country V-8 station wagon on a used car lot in Falls Church that occasionally has such treasures. Even though this model is a Classic, you’ll notice that the tailgate is labeled “Ambassador.” These two names are mutually exclusive, as the Ambassador and Classic were two separate model lines in 1965, but to save money the wagon models of both lines were practically identical from the A-pillar back, and had many interchangeable parts, including the tailgate. I can only surmise that at some point this Classic's original tailgate was replaced with one from an up-level Ambassador (looking closely, the tailgate appears to be a slightly different shade of white).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    UCP's biggest (only?) fan of the '74-'76 Mercury Cougar.
    UCP's proudest owner of a '74 Cougar

My favorite color is chrome.

Falls Church (home), Charlottesville (college), Virginia, USA
    Rambler Classic #2
    Attached Images Attached Images
    UCP's biggest (only?) fan of the '74-'76 Mercury Cougar.
    UCP's proudest owner of a '74 Cougar

My favorite color is chrome.

I love these cars. Thanks for the pics.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

there was a cooperation with Renault in the sixties, and the cars were sold here as Rambler Renaults. My uncle had one, and I think it is still in the family...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Thread Information