Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The light at the end of the tunnel

The light at the end of the tunnel

Has turned out to be that of an oncoming train. In a good way. After being unemployed since early March I have finally found a permanent job. I have been in sales basically since leaving school 174 years ago. I have been branch manager and sales manager and a raft of other names for the same thing in the paper and print industry. I have also managed to be made redundant 4 times, the last being early this year. As I am nearly 50 this last time was of concern. The fact I actually had finally found a job I didn’t not want to wake up on Monday for as well was particularly annoying.
    I have applied for various sales roles but of course if you are not from the industry then you obviously could not possibly be trained to sell whatever product or service these people have… And there are precious few and even less desirable opportunities in the printing industry at the moment.

I have not been idle of course. Can’t afford to sit back and starve so I have undertaken a couple of temporary roles over the past few months. First involved in the fruit fly outbreak role early this year. Basically walking around with a back pack fully of bait and spraying trees. Most recently finished the “Norwood leaf blowing program”. A slightly eloquent way of saying walking around the streets of the “leafy suburbs” with a 15 kilo industrial blower on my back blowing leaves off the path in the wee cold hours of the morning. That I managed to keep up with and even see off my coworkers who were half my age was a little gratifying. That came to an end on Thursday which serendipitously coincided with a most welcome call to advise me I had been accepted for the October intake of suburban train driver.

The recruitment process for this is rather convoluted with a detailed written application, on line psyche test, two hour test at the premises and then a final interview.

"A large number of candidates apply to the Suburban Train Driver role. As a result, the selection process is very competitive; the application process can be hard work and often time consuming. The testing is rigorous, and there are specific benchmarks for each assessment; therefore only a small percentage of candidates will be successful to the interview stage."

Anyway got through. There is an 4 person intake in July which would have been a lot better and one in October but at least we are back, dare I say, on track.
    The training takes 45 weeks or so but at some stage late in 2013 look for me driving one of these-

It is a huge step outside my comfort zone, will include shift work and working over public holidays but I am quite quickly coming to terms with not having budgets and the associated crap that comes with sales for the foreseeable future.

On we roll.
    Last edited by crisis; 06-29-2012 at 04:33 PM.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

Congrats, man!
    Hopefully it'll be enough to get you back in a Monaro!
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Great to hear mate. Might need an eggnog test once you're in the driver's seat!
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Good on ya crisis, and kudos for sticking out the thin patch. So, something completely different from your lifetime of employ... FWIW, a musician buddy got tired of bouncing from one medical sales rep job to another (firms bought/sold, etc.) and trained to become a railroad engineer. He's been with a major line now for 12 years and loves it; schedule allows him to keep his Hammond gigs, the pay is pretty good and best of all he
    has better health and retirement benefits than his previous career provided.

Cheers to your new profession. Hope you enjoy the security as much as my friend does. Plus, trains are cool.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

This would have to make you a front-runner in any "Who's wheels have the most torque" comparison. Nice work.

Thanks guys. The Eggnog test would be gold too! lol.

Congratulations indeed!

Waiting for the egg-nog test.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

5th week on the track with my trainer and drove my first 4 car set of these monsters yesterday.

They are like driving a 400 tonne car with faded brakes. Rather intimidating but it all went good. These things are nearly 40 years old and will be gone in an few years when the new electric trains are fully integrated into the system. I am glad to have a drive of them but wont be sad to see the end of them.

Haha, nice trucks.

You need to put a set of spinners one them.

Glad you're advancing forward in your job!

Up to now I had completely missed this thread. Well done. Does the network include cross country tracks as well or will you have to operate in a restricted area only?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

sweet, gonna have to ask for an egg-nog on it
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    Up to now I had completely missed this thread. Well done. Does the network include cross country tracks as well or will you have to operate in a restricted area only?
    Cheers. It’s a suburban passenger service the farthest point being about 45ks from Adelaide Railway Station which is where all trip begin. There are 6 lines although currently three are closed for upgrade and electrification. Welcome to the 20th century Trans Adelaide…. New trains to learn by the end of the year

and the old ones like I posted recently will be retired. But when it actually happens who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    sweet, gonna have to ask for an egg-nog on it
    No problems, attached is the throttle quadrant of the 2000 but I will update with the appropriate documentation soon. ;-)
    Attached Images Attached Images

3000 Class Egg Nog
    Attached Images Attached Images

CRACKER Crisis

Egg-Nog would be proud !!

Think that makes you officially driver of the most powerful vehicle on UCP ?
    ( I don't consider boats on UCP. so don't go for the keyboard )
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    CRACKER Crisis

Egg-Nog would be proud !!

Think that makes you officially driver of the most powerful vehicle on UCP ?
    ( I don't consider boats on UCP. so don't go for the keyboard )
    ha ha, maybe. A turbocharged Mercedes V12 in each car. My normal ride is a two car consist so in that case 940HP. It doesn't feel like it though..

Thread Information