Thread: Anyone played GPM2?

Anyone played GPM2?

Back in 1996 I bought a game called Grand Prix Manager 2 by Microprose. It changed my life and made me truly addicted to F1.

No game since has come close. You could spy and steal technology, test and develop loads of technical bits. You could even run illegal technologies and go to the FIA court of appeal! Rules changed season to season. Parts could be banned, engine sizes changed and other random things. Teams could go in and out of business.

Anyone played it?

1996... I guess I was still playing with either Mario Bross (1) and/or "The need for speed" (1).
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

I think I have it somewhere.

I remember it was difficult and that I always ended bankrupt...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Yeh there were quiet a few bugs. One was if you ran like some sort of driving aid on stage 2 the car would retire with electrical problems. Also one major bug that makes overtaking backmarkers about as difficult as overtaking cars. Once the cars started to lap I normally skipped the race!

Theres a community online that are currently developing a 2009 patch. Once done im back on there!

Mmm, the original need for speed games. Porsche challenge was brilliant.

I always wanted to play this, but at the time I was addicted to another one called Team F1, so I never bothered to go out and buy it.

There's supposed to be a modern one being made (Welcome to the Frontpage), but every time I look the updates are always about 4 months old, so I lose hope...

played GPM2?

The game is composed of long and short term "contracts", long term games being made up of 10 seasons of F1 (in game from 1996–2005) whilst short term challenges dictated a specific outcome to be met over 1, 2 or 3 seasons, failure of these resulting in being fired and losing the game.In long term challenges, the only way to lose the game is that the player's team goes bankrupt. The game can be played on the same computer with one to four players in a hotseat mode, assigning turns for the players to make their decisions. Before the start of a long term scenario, the player(s) may freely edit the teams and personnel to their liking by using a simple in-game editor. Short term scenarios cannot be modified.
    During the game the player(s) must hire & dismiss personnel, negotiate with sponsors to secure the team's finances, control the research of new parts to stay competitive, negotiate contracts with engine, fuel, and spare parts suppliers, control testing and set up the car according to hints given by the drivers.
    Before a race weekend the player(s) can choose whether he/she wants to see the different sessions or just skip them, thus allowing the game to simulate the results. The car setup can also be altered during these sessions. Before the race the fuel & tyre strategy of both cars has to be set, the game giving a suggestion to the player(s) which can be freely modified.Stirling Moss provides commentary during the race.[3]. After the race certain news stories based on the race's results and current game events are displayed.
    Jacques Villeneuve (a new driver for the real 1996 season) is not named or photographed in the original version of the game. He is instead replaced by 'John Newhouse', an English translation of the Canadian's name, having the correct statistics but a different picture. This was due to Villeneuve owning the copyright to his name and likeness at the time, unlike other drivers who were copyrighted with FOA. This occurred under various guises in all of the Formula One games released from 1996 until 1999, when the issue was finally settled.
    Last edited by Wouter Melissen; 07-26-2010 at 12:58 AM.

Nah, i didn't play it. But looks like it was a rocking game i missed.....but to tell you the truth i was not at my age of playing this game at that time
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 11-05-2010 at 03:04 AM. Reason: drop the spam
    angela

Thread Information