Thread: Anyone here have good experience/knowledge of automotive manufacturing

Anyone here have good experience/knowledge of automotive manufacturing

For a research project I am curious what most manufacturers do with their old tooling for discontinued models. Is the tooling for parts destroyed to prevent copying, is it sold to parts manufactures for spares for discontinued models, etc? Where do these companies like Superperformance, Dynacorn (here), etc get the information or equipment to re manufacture these discontinued models/body shells?

Well I guess it depends, but many manufacturers have sold the tooling for old models to Chinese car companies.

And then there's the case of the Audi A4/Seat Exeo.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

DAF Trucks sells them for scrap after keeping them for a few months. Or they go to one of the sister factories; Leyland, CFAO, or Daf Brasil. I guess if you want to get the drawings it's all about knowing the right people and having the right contacts. Once you got them a world will open to you, in the automotive industry.

For the machines and molds and stuff, there really is no point in keeping them. If they will not be used they only eat up storage space, costing money. In todays world it's pointless just to lose all this money..
    Last edited by drakkie; 06-16-2012 at 12:54 PM.

Sell them to Irish fishermen as anchors:

http://www.dmcnews.com/Resource/bodydies/bodydies.html
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    And then there's the case of the Audi A4/Seat Exeo.
    Forgive my ignorance explain?

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie View Post
    For the machines and molds and stuff, there really is no point in keeping them. If they will not be used they only eat up storage space, costing money. In todays world it's pointless just to lose all this money..
    So what about those companies I listed reproducing exact weld for weld copies of the 67-70 Mustang body shell? Do they make their own tooling or is it old Ford equipment because I can't seem to figure it out (maybe a phone call is in order).

What would a company like BMW for example do with a Z3 M Coupe, or Z8 stamping equipment? How do people get body parts (for collision repair, restoration, etc) for rare cars where you might not be able to source the parts from scrap yards?

Quote Originally Posted by MRR View Post
    Forgive my ignorance explain?
    Audi sold/gave Seat the A4 B7 tooling equipment so they could produce the Exeo, which is the same car. As a result everything was moved from Ingolstadt to Martorell for Seat to make the car.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Audi sold/gave Seat the A4 B7 tooling equipment so they could produce the Exeo, which is the same car. As a result everything was moved from Ingolstadt to Martorell for Seat to make the car.
    This is rare I assume? Does Audi usually give/sell their tooling equipment in this manner or is it usually destroyed?

I don't think it is usual, but in this case it's a technology transfer from brand of the same group, so no problem there I guess.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information