Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Personalized license plates

Personalized license plates

After years searching for year of manufacture tags that suited our old cars, we finally gave up and bought personalized plates.

If you have personalized license plates too, or have pics of good ones let's see 'em!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

You cannot have personalised number plates in Spain. I wonder why.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I know that in some countries certain letter/number combinations are highly sought after, with sometimes crazy prices paid. Like the tag auctions in the UK. We were in Hong Kong in 1997 when a real estate mogul spent over HK$1M for "8888". Are Spain's regional disputes over provincial codes the main reason they don't allow specific combinations?
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

our system is very prozaic, the car get's a number/license plate and that will stick with the car for all its life, irrespective of who owns the car. No room for anything personalised.
    The system comprises of a combination letters and figures, but some combinations referring mainly to political things, like the abbreviation of names of political parties or even reference to things from long time ago like SS or SD will not be used. In general the absence of vowels in the limits the number of words that can be formed to a bare minimum.
    Last edited by henk4; 06-05-2012 at 06:06 AM.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by csl177 View Post
    Are Spain's regional disputes over provincial codes the main reason they don't allow specific combinations?
    Not anymore I guess, because since the early noughties there's no regional/provincial distintive on Spanish number plates. That also caused a stir when it was first introduced.
    Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    our system is very prozaic, the car get's a number/license plate and that will stick with the car for all its life, irrespective of who owns the car. No room for anything personalised.
    The system comprises of a combination letters and figures, but some combinations referring mainly to political things, like the abbreviation of names of political parties or even reference to things from long time ago like SS or SD will not be used. In general the absence of vowels in the limits the number of words that can be formed to a bare minimum.
    This is also the case here.

Under the old system vowels were allowed, but with the new system (4 numbers and three letters: 1111 BBB) no vowels are allowed anymore to refrain from getting rude or offensive words.
    Last edited by Ferrer; 06-05-2012 at 11:28 AM.
    Visca Catalunya!

You're so politically correct in Europe.
    "Take my swimming trunks, I won't need them." - Frank Costanza. "What does he want with your swimming trunks." - Estelle Costanza. "Why should they go to waste." - Frank Costanza - Seinfeld

Only on the continent though...
    Visca Catalunya!

Still quite popular in the UK.
    In part I think because of the rchallenge of coming up with nic eones that conform to the legal restrcitions of letters/numbers being determined by law and not being able to put new plate styles on older cars.

Do admit that if I'd been buying a new car last year I woudl definately have gone for
    PH10CKE ( middle initial is H )

as my current P16CKE doens't manage to look quite right

In the UK where for 90% of the cars you can tell it's age from the plate then some owners like to hide it with a personalised plate
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Still quite popular in the UK.
    In part I think because of the rchallenge of coming up with nic eones that conform to the legal restrcitions of letters/numbers being determined by law and not being able to put new plate styles on older cars.

Do admit that if I'd been buying a new car last year I woudl definately have gone for
    PH10CKE ( middle initial is H )

as my current P16CKE doens't manage to look quite right

In the UK where for 90% of the cars you can tell it's age from the plate then some owners like to hide it with a personalised plate
    an the idiotic prices people are prepared to pay for such plates. just laughable..
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

depends on the price Pieter. Many go for peanuts
    ONly the crazy ones get the headlines !!
    I did put in a closed bid to DVLA for P10CKE when it was available. It went for 10 times what I was willing to pay !! So for 1/4 of that I got P16. In reality it is the equivalent of 2 tanks of petrol. Not into the "Laughable" stakes.

£250,000 for 51 NGH and £400K for F1 are though
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

I did put in a closed bid to DVLA for P10CKE when it was available. It went for 10 times what I was willing to pay !! So for 1/4 of that I got P16. In reality it is the equivalent of 2 tanks of petrol. Not into the "Laughable" stakes.

and I even fail to understand the meaning of a quarter million license plate....(probably because I never do texting...)

no texting Lots of Sikh's in UK. Singh is a very common Sikh name.
    Like Smith for English or De Jong for the Dutch !!!

We can have pretty much whatever we want on plates here, but if you want all letters it gets expensive. 6 letters in NSW incurs a recurring yearly cost for some reason, which is a but crap. In WA you can have up to 9 letters if you really want..
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

the idiotic thing is people see that and buy up the most random combinations and then list them for sale at the most ridiculous prices..
    for really mundane or specific combinations. it is funny to see them just sit for sale for months/years on end though haha

edit: my personalised plates actually came with the car! i didn't even realise it had them til i got home.
    Last edited by clutch-monkey; 06-05-2012 at 08:09 PM.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

no texting Lots of Sikh's in UK. Singh is a very common Sikh name.
    Like Smith for English or De Jong for the Dutch !!!
    the sing sing is our slang word for jail....

Thread Information