Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Under 35K car

Under 35K car

What Car would you purchase for under $35,000? This is the car itself, not buying a car and with the left over money modding.

hmmmmm

does it have to be a current car? if not, a camaro
    < 1 - 2 - to the bass >

I'm gonna go with current. Mainly because of the huge selection of new under 35k cars on the market today,

Is this 35,000 US Currency? If so, a Infiniti G35 Coupe or a Pontiac Bonneville.

XR6 Turbo

240kw
    450nm
    0-100km/h in 5.9 seconds
    I am the Stig

For the next couple of months get an extra job or sell the family dog to get up to $40K .....

Then get a real sports car - the Lotus Elise is supposedly going to be $39,995.

Get a Subaru WRX STI

300hp 0-60 4.8 secs

Quote Originally Posted by Niko_Fx
    Get a Subaru WRX STI

300hp 0-60 4.8 secs
    10% slower than a standard Elise

Subaru STI

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    10% slower than a standard Elise
    and 10k dollars cheaper....plus it's a hardtop, and I bet a lot more comfortable than an elise. (I see the hardtop being an advantage, clearly it could be taken either way....it improves stiffness and reduces risk of injury, which is big in my book). No doubt the elise is a great car...but the sube and the evo are quite possibly the best for the price....plus with 10k in difference you could mod either to go way past the elise....or throw a huge crasher...or develop a nice coke addiction...just some ideas

seriously though...you could get a cobra replicar for 30....maybe even with a 427...that would be a sweet car.....also the rx8 is nice, not my favorite but nice....
    And Iraaaaaaaaaaaan

Iran's so far awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay...

ROR

Grand Prix GTP
    260hp, 280Ft-lbs of torque.
    Looks to match speed
    Stickers add horsepower. I promise.

I always preferred the S15 Sylvia over the WRX. I know the WRX has a lot going for it but appearance wise it is not exactly pretty. The Sylvia was pretty quick in standard form and nice to drive. ( I test drove one once) and it looks good. Only really needed a bit bigger/flashier wheels as Nissan are stingy that way. No one is right or wrong here as we are talking a personal preference. Which gives me an idea.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

Quote Originally Posted by sandwich
    and 10k dollars cheaper.
    Sorry, I keep forgetting how much cheaper you guys are for cars
    I bet a lot more comfortable than an elise.
    It's OK if you're 5'6" and weigh 100lbs
    Yep, an Elise ain't the car to sit on a highway at 65mph for 2 hours !
    If that's the kind of driving you do, can't argue.
    But, it's fine ( even for a 5'11", 220lbs guy ) for short drives. It's all context - - in the UK, the longest highway journey you can make is 500miles - 6 hours
    it improves stiffness and reduces risk of injury
    A car is designed to handle well and in many cases that requires a bit of flex. The Elise is one of the best sorted chassis ( shassy ) for the money. It's safe as long as you don't get barrelled into by some 3 ton SUV - hmm, good point for your location
    plus with 10k in difference you could mod either to go way past the elise
    The STi is pretty much got all it needs and 'modding' it is likely to make it unstable with either power-induced understeer or just more weight to slow it down.
    We've covered the cultural difference between the keep it light and balanced to go very fast and the keep adding power ( and weight - needing more power ) to go fast.
    seriously though...you could get a cobra replicar for 30....maybe even with a 427...that would be a sweet car
    Having driven and raced both on track, I can assure you the Elise wins. I think it would be different at Oulton which has a VERY long sweeper at full speed. But in and out of corners, the Elise is a superb machine - only bettered by the (less practical) Caterham/Westfields.

But as you say, you CAN do a lot with the extra $10K.
    Good luck with whatever your choice.

excellent points...no doubt the elise is a well sorted car....and it can beat most anything on the road stock...it's just a little...well....british for me. I rebuilt a triumph tr6 with my father, as well as toyed with an MGB...they're not too different...small, lightweight, underpowered. Fun cars, but every day i'm stacked up against 3000 suv's on may way to work in a little civic...

It does depend on location and taste though...the elise is definately better on track, but as a car to own, I think the evowrx would be better.

can't go wrong either way...and as for the cobra...I know it's not that great of a car, handling wise etc., but it sure would be fun as hell to own one.

Oh yeah and matra, there's a djet on ebay for 6200...
    And Iraaaaaaaaaaaan

Iran's so far awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay...

ROR

Quote Originally Posted by sandwich
    excellent points...no doubt the elise is a well sorted car....and it can beat most anything on the road stock...it's just a little...well....british for me. I rebuilt a triumph tr6 with my father, as well as toyed with an MGB...they're not too different...small, lightweight, underpowered.
    That's 50s designs.
    The Elise is much more advanced and is a custom design from chassis (shassy ) up.
    Triumph and MG's trace their suspension back to 50s family saloons
    Fun cars, but every day i'm stacked up against 3000 suv's on may way to work in a little civic...
    Any sports car is going to feel vulnerable.
    I got tagged by a motorhome last year who "didn't see me because the car was too low".
    His insurance loved him for that
    can't go wrong either way...and as for the cobra...I know it's not that great of a car, handling wise etc., but it sure would be fun as hell to own one.
    I think everyone should try to own every type pf car, sometime in their lives.
    That way you get to experience the good, the bad and (if lucky) the fan-bloody-tastic
    I'm trying to convinve my 16 year old to get a kit-car for her first vehicle. We could build it over the year and start of with a small I4, but prep the chassis (shassy) for a V8 or 10
    Oh yeah and matra, there's a djet on ebay for 6200...
    Thanks, on my way .......

Thread Information