Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Photo Competition Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by jorismo View Post
    I agree. But to give an example: I wanted to post a picture of the Holocaust monument in Berlin. But many people probably don't recognise it. So the whole story with the picture idea could clear these things up. But you are right: a good picture tells a story. That's probably why I only have won one time
    The subject should not be relevant. A good picture is a good picture, regardless if people recognize what it is about.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Question- I might want to compete in the competitions, but I don't know how to resize my images. How do you do that?

One way without software installed on your computer is to go to photobucket.com, register, upload the image to a certain quality (800X600). Save to your computer, -> reupload to UCP.
    "Horsepower sells motor cars, but torque wins motor races."
    -Carrol Shelby

Why not let people tell a little more than just the title if they want to do so?

Maybe it's an idea to have a monthly vote for the best shots submitted that month, so we can have a shot of the year vote at the end of the year.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    Maybe it's an idea to have a monthly vote for the best shots submitted that month, so we can have a shot of the year vote at the end of the year.
    You know, I'm liking the sound of this idea much more. Going through all of last year's photos, and then now creating the round of voting for the best of 2007 is a bit much for me. For the time being, with school and work, I'm not sure I can get it all together, and especially now as 2007 is further and further behind.

Therefore, to be best prepared for 'the best of 08' I will integrate this monthly voting idea. Going through the past 100 odd competitions for 2007 may very well do me in.
    i was waiting on a moment, but the moment never came. all the billion other moments, were just slipping all away. i must have been tripping, we're just slipping all away. just ego tripping.

This would be great for taking photos of planes at airports

Attached Images Attached Images
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen View Post
    This would be great for taking photos of planes at airports

And spying on the neighbours...

...two towns over.
    i was waiting on a moment, but the moment never came. all the billion other moments, were just slipping all away. i must have been tripping, we're just slipping all away. just ego tripping.

To go along with the monthly voting, I think I'll throw up a stickied "Hall of Fame" thread to post each month's winning photo. This way they'll be kept track of easily for future 'year best' voting, and I guess the winner can feel the inflated sense of self-satisfaction that comes from winning this prestigious honour.

I was considering just locking it, so it's strictly a showcase thread, but would anyone prefer to be able to discuss? I guess that way we could keep monthly shot conversation contained to one thread.

When is the poll for this week?
    My Photography: flickr.com/photos/a-m-photo/
    "The best way to predict the future is to invent it."

Right now broseph. Sorry, I got sidetracked again.

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin View Post
    Right now broseph. Sorry, I got sidetracked again.
    Haha, thats cool.
    My Photography: flickr.com/photos/a-m-photo/
    "The best way to predict the future is to invent it."

Small question: Can we post panoramas? Do they still have to be 800x or can we use other sizes?
    The one and only..NOOBZILLA:)

Quote Originally Posted by trickz View Post
    Small question: Can we post panoramas? Do they still have to be 800x or can we use other sizes?
    AFAIK you can post panoramas in the general competitions, and the size is max 800 wide, so no matter how much the photo is high, my "guesstimation"
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

800 is the longer side, isn't it?

Thread Information