Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: F1 back in the USA

Sorry, csl, I can't think of ONE street circuit that isn't boring racing -- unless watching for the bumps and bruises
    Yes even, Monaco Just look at what it took to make last race "interesting"
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Adelaide didn't do a bad job of a street circuit that wasn't boring, and Bathurst could be counted...
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

I loathe 99.9% of street circuits but there have been a couple decent ones.

From a spectators stand point street races can be boring but as a driver they are an awesome challenge. I still like Monaco even though we see hardly any overtaking.

Although there is Valencia - and the last grand prixs i've seen there have been hands down the worst racing I have EVER witnessed.
    "This car is about as refined as a Glaswegian dock worker after 10 cans of special brew"

Valid point on "street circuits" that aren't just streets
    Bathurst is pushing that term a little though !!!!!
    As a driver street circuits are only an "awesome challenge" on kiddy arcade race "sims".
    In real life racing with walls and barriers and kerbs etc then they are never done at 100%.
    Because one slight error and it's all over.
    So the "challenge" is how to drive slower than you want to. Not a challenge a driver looks forward to. ( and why you never see short track bike racers compete on IoM. THe ones who do are road racers to start and "cope" with track )
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Montjuïc.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    While I guess I'm happy that this is occurring, I hate how Bernie just has to follow the money instead of putting the GP at one of America's many tried and true racetracks.
    Yeah, I know right?

Why not Laguna Seca, or Watgens Glen or Infineon?

Makes no sense at all. It's nice it's coming back, but there's also no USF1 team anymore.

Well Matra, you're currently visiting one of the greatest street circuits of all time, no?

I did qualify with "historically". Brno, Tripoli, Buenos Aires... but naturally, modern safety concerns and spectator needs rule out street courses. Even Monaco is a joke, not relevant to modern cars, but sure was cool up to the late 1970s.

Anyway, back on topic: None of the tracks most US F1 fans would prefer could be modified to Bernie's liking, apparently. Or were willing to put up with his financial demands. Since the big venues are mostly banked roundy-rounds with limited road-course sections (Indy, Daytona, Texas Speedway, etc.) those are out. Laguna or Infineon would be great, and there were plenty of people lobbying for Watkins or Roads America and Atlanta but they were never under serious consideration. So it's gonna be a fresh new spot in Texas, at exhorbitant expense.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

IMO, Only two tracks in America currently in existence (Minus the avant-garde grandstands and architectural features) are suitable are for GP racing, Road America and Road Altlanta. Most professional American road racers agree that those are the two best drivers courses. (That's actually a fact printed in the SCCA magazine Sportscar recently)

Others considered were Watkins, Mid-Ohio, Portland, Laguna.

Quote Originally Posted by Soloracer View Post
    IMO, Only two tracks in America currently in existence (Minus the avant-garde grandstands and architectural features) are suitable are for GP racing, Road America and Road Altlanta. Most professional American road racers agree that those are the two best drivers courses. (That's actually a fact printed in the SCCA magazine Sportscar recently)

Others considered were Watkins, Mid-Ohio, Portland, Laguna.
    The tracks you mention may be perfectly suitable for real racing, but not for the F1 circus, of which racing is only a minor item.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

After a week in Austin the F1 circus will never want to go back again

Besides avoiding deer at road america would just confuse F1 drivers
    I seem to remember the track has lots of surface changes and patches - not something the modern F1 can contend with ( though I consider that the problem and not the track per se )

Road Atlanta was repaved not so long ago, so I'd be intrested in that.

But ... it's up to who can line Bernie's pockets the most and Austin has been holding it's own in recent years being mroe aligned to oil than banking.

Road America is probably expanadable in having F1 sized paddock buildings and what not. But its far away from everywhere. Road Atlanta probably will not be able to build the kind of facility that F1 demands....same issue I think hurts Laguna Seca and Mid-Ohio. The ruralness of most US tracks does not help.

Austin also is rather Hi-tech centric as well, Dell and Texas Instruments are both based there, along with other companies I believe...

I can see why F1 wants more of a dedicated facility, Indy was sorta like that, and close to population center with easy transportation access. Its far more important in these "developing" market for F1 than the established market like European venues. I just wonder if Austin and area has solid enough surrounding demographic....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

"fans" in surrounding demographics don't matter to Bernie.
    Look how empty the facilities are at these new tracks

In US it would matter, Abu Dahbi, Bahrain or China were all state funded affair. In US it would be promoter and local governments. If the race don't make money they won't be staying for long, especially if the venue had to pay millions without return.
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    Road America is probably expanadable in having F1 sized paddock buildings and what not. But its far away from everywhere. Road Atlanta probably will not be able to build the kind of facility that F1 demands....same issue I think hurts Laguna Seca and Mid-Ohio. The ruralness of most US tracks does not help.

Austin also is rather Hi-tech centric as well, Dell and Texas Instruments are both based there, along with other companies I believe...

I can see why F1 wants more of a dedicated facility, Indy was sorta like that, and close to population center with easy transportation access. Its far more important in these "developing" market for F1 than the established market like European venues. I just wonder if Austin and area has solid enough surrounding demographic....

I think as far as American venues which are currently established go, you are completely right, all of our tracks are in the middle of nowhere.. I still love 'em.

Your point about Austin is a good one though.

Thread Information