Thread: 01 42 08 To Qualify featuring Peter Brock - George Lucas - First Short Film - 1966

01 42 08 To Qualify featuring Peter Brock - George Lucas - First Short Film - 1966

Just stumbled across this

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-cvJq3m7pw[/ame]

Didn't know Lucas was in to cars in his early film career !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    "1:42:08 (known also as 1:42:08: A Man and His Car) was George Lucas's senior project at the University of Southern California in 1966. It was named for the lap time of the Lotus 23 race car that was the subject of the film. It is a nonstory noncharacter visual tone poem depicting the graphic beauty of a car going at full speed, and the only sound in it is the roar of the car's engine. Shot in color with a 14 man student crew, it was filmed at Willow Springs Raceway, north of Los Angeles, CA"
    The lesson to learn from a master for all video film and editors of motorsport CLEARLY is ... . leave the sound to the car

EDIT: ... AND .... thankfully Brock was a better designer than actor
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 04-12-2011 at 05:13 AM. Reason: Pete Brock the Cobra Daytona designer, not the Aussie driver
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

A friend of mine is very into movies (he is now attending a cinema school, if that's a honest way to spend your time), and read a book were another director, can't remember who, compared himself to Lucas over the years, as they knew each other.

One was a Camaro guy, the other was a Mustang guy.

Since I don't remember much more, I'll make this post sensed adding Lucas bought a Mosler MT900 a few years back.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Lucas, being from SoCal is definately a car guy... American Graffiti was his homage to the culture. This is a pretty cool short... but it's Pete Brock the Cobra Daytona designer (and not a bad shoe) not the Aussie driver. Interesting that Ole Olsen gets credit for special effects, he was a Shelby team member.

EDIT: The escape scene at the end of Lucas' first feature film, THX 1138: electric Lola T70s!
    Last edited by csl177; 04-12-2011 at 05:20 AM.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Cheers Edit made !
    Yeah I just took American Graffiti as the culture and not the cars, but clearly he had it for the cars too.

And then screws it all by buying a Mosler (joke guys chill)
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

whatever the cultural background, the clip is very, very nice....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

^^^^^^for me love the off cam engine after he spins
    Call me old fashioned but there is something sweet about that sound Fuel injection makes it all too easy !!!!

How did he go from this to crazy aliens again?

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    How did he go from this to crazy aliens again?
    Well, there was American Graffiti in between, about as far from a space opera as there could be. Here's the original trailer for his first feature... more sophisticated than Star Wars, but with similar moral issues. THX 1138 was recently re-edited with added CG.

Wait for the chase.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naso7_DFno8&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naso7_DFno8&feature=related[/ame]
    Last edited by csl177; 04-12-2011 at 11:26 AM.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

hahaha 2:01 in the trailer = FAIL

Thread Information