Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weekend in Braselton

Weekend in Braselton

Went to Road Atlanta for the Mitty last week. Unfortunately, the weekend didn't go as planned, which usually means put it on the trailer the way you brought it. More anon... it took quite a bit to get this video posted as I'm an old fart.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSDWJASyE4U"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSDWJASyE4U[/ame]

On the flight home, we had to make an emergency landing in Tampa because an AC compressor failed and filled the cabin with smoke.
    Quite a weekend. You can't make this stuff up.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

wow, that is pretty impressive, what speed were you at? 100 mph or thereabouts? And in a way lucky you had a parallel encounter with the wall, it could have been much worse.

Finally, in Europe they use the red flag (not black) to stop a session, isn't that what they do in the US too?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

EDIT: More like 75-80 mph. My fault, had three much faster 2.5 cars behind me and moved over as a measure of politeness... I won't be so accomodating ever again. As EFR and Wayne Baker (who was behind me) said after: just because you're new here, don't NOT drive your line. My times were 5 seconds slower than the 2.5 cars but very respectable, especially for a rookie. I wasn't personally black flagged, the field was because of cars being cleared from the track. Red flag is stop, black flag is return to box, yellow flag is local caution, double yellow is full course caution.
    Last edited by csl177; 05-10-2011 at 08:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by csl177 View Post
    Yes, around 90-100 mph. My fault, had three much faster 2.5 cars behind me and moved over as a measure of politeness... I won't be so accomodating ever again. As EFR and Wayne Baker (who was behind me) said to me after: just because you're new here, don't NOT drive your line. My times were 5 seconds slower than the 2.5 cars but very respectable, especially for a rookie. Red flag is stop, black flag is return to box, yellow flag is local caution, double yellow is full course caution.
    OK, then check your subtitles in the video. Were you twice BLACK flagged, or was the session twice RED Flagged. ???

So what's the damage, It looks like this time it fortunate that the engine sits before the rear axle.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I didn't post the earlier sessions. We had two black flags (not red... that would require something catastrophic) meaning everyone back to the pits. The video I posted showed when we were FINALLY gonna get a chance to put in a qualifying lap. I blew it on the run to a green flag.

Damage not awful... it's a freakin' racecar. I'm sore, and the car will be ready for Rennsport in October.

OUCH.
    what a crappy way to end your race
    i had a very similar spin a few weeks back, but managed to merely clip the wing mirror on the concrete before going into the kitty litter..
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

I should clarify, Pieter... when a either a black or "meatball" (black with red circle in the center) is waved directly at you it means pit IMMEDIATELY, you're spewing oil, driving like a dick, something the stewards want to discuss with YOU. For the field, a black flag is something serious on track, be cautious, do not pass, return to pit. Red is stop on the track right NOW.
    Last edited by csl177; 05-10-2011 at 08:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    OUCH.
    what a crappy way to end your race
    i had a very similar spin a few weeks back, but managed to merely clip the wing mirror on the concrete before going into the kitty litter..
    I'd be happy to exchange a scuffed mirror for a cracked rib and $15K worth of fix-em-up.

Hey, I'm lucky to have walked away, there were 4 cars that could've made contact had I popped back on track just a couple of seconds sooner. Like I said, that mistake won't happen again.

I didn't post the earlier sessions. We had two black flags (not red... that would require something catastrophic) meaning everyone back to the pits. The video I posted showed when we were FINALLY gonna get a chance to put in a qualifying lap. I blew it on the run to a green flag.

Damage not awful... it's a freakin' racecar. I'm sore, and the car will be ready for Rennsport in October.
    So it is slightly different from the way things are being done here, as a black flag is shown to an indivual car together with a number to specifiy which car is meant, and this means that this particular car is to return to the stands immediately and will most likely be disqualified.

A black flag with a meatball indeed means that a car has to return to the sand and carry out some repairs or whatever is needed.

When a red flag is shown it is shown to everybody, meaning that the session is over and all cars have to return to the stands. We had several red flag situations in Spa last weekend, and indeed because something serious had happened, which made further racing dangerous.

I'd be happy to exchange a scuffed mirror for a cracked rib and $15K worth of fix-em-up.
    i said the same thing when i pulled into the pits, but you're lucky to come away with unbroken ribs!
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

I didn't go to the Mitty this year, one of the few I've missed.

Too bad about your off.

I loved the little ticker line going across the bottom explaining what was going on, it really gives insight to those who've never raced before or crashed for that matter. Too bad about the car, it doesn't look too bad on the outside but whatever suspension piece(s) you broke are the ones that'll run up the bill. And I feel you on that bruise, i play hockey and i've been hit by an 80 mph slap shot, it's not fun

Glad you're ok! Thats a nice looking 914 too, most of them look pretty boring. Are those steel flares on your car? I just fixed a customers car that had a similar hit from the downhill at Lime Rock. It didn't take that hard of a shot because it hit a tire wall/rubber matt. Concrete doesn't move to much.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

Darn, that sucks.

Least you're okay.

Bruised arm is nothing, that's where it hit the door... but my left ribcage is still sore. A sneeze the other day dropped me to my knees.

Yeah, Road Atlanta has those special "extra firm" safety walls. The car is already completely torn down for restoration to it's historic 1971 configuration, it's a real GT with steel flares. We got a pair for the left side, the trick will be installing them as original: spot-welded, then seams brazed. Control arm got bent 2", punched the halfshaft through the gearbox, etc. Glad we had swapped out the $$$ Hewland to avoid a weight penalty! The original gearbox (stamped #58!) is sitting at the shop and will be used in the resto. Lucky there was no damage to the original balsa-reinforced trunk lids or steel door.

Here's what the car looked like in 1971:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information