Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Most powerful exhaust you ever heard.

And THEN there was the MATRA V-12 Engines...which could be like a dentists' high-speed drill: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8fcA6lcpX4...I've heard and felt them on numerous occasions...especially at the LBGP...betwix the canyon of buildings!

Nice you love the sound of the Matra ... but they never sounded like a dentists drill
    Recordings never manage to recreate the low end of the mighty V12 and the modern runnings they dont rev the engine to anywhere near it's limits

The old Le Mans crowd will cry when they talk of the memories of the V12 coming past at full chat

Nice vid find tho' thanks .... especially the Matra Bagheera in yellow !!
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

two weeks back i heard a top fuel drag car start up and perform it's run.. probably the 'most powerful exhaust' i've heard.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Most powerful exhaust I've ever heard was a Saturn V lifting off. If that doesn't count, I too miss the sounds of Matras, Alfa 33/3s and under-three-liter anythings at full song. Top fuel still amazes, so does a full-on NASCAR field blasting by. But in the modern era of sportscar racing it's got to be the Mazda 787. Those really did sound like a dentists drill focused on your skull.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Most ear bleeding exhaust I've ever heard are classic 60's and 70's Formula 2s at full throttle inches from me.

Group 4 Stratos runs in second place.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

EDIT: extra info deleted

I'm going to make a huge leap of faith (or am I really just being presumptive) and assume that you possess a working knowledge of the French Auto-mobile industry. Using that as a foundation, I shall ask of you, "Does virtually every French made car STILL have a "wet-sleeved" powerplant wedged under its' bonnet? And what is their u-ni-que fascination with that design...i.e., individual, removable, cylinders? I was a master mechanic for over 40 yrs. and got to overhaul 3 of them...AND have mixed feelings, indeed, what?
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 04-19-2011 at 02:37 AM. Reason: remove info

Hi zuzulo56, you dont need to paste all that detail as I nearly missed your question.
    THis might be worthy of a thread of it's own, but will quick answer hear

Not just French cars used and use wet liners.
    So it's not unique, but appreciate it may seem so from your end of the planet
    If you come across an old Triumph for example
    There are a number of reasons a wet liner will be user by a designer.

- special light, easy to cast alloys can be used by fitting liners. ( this applies to wet and driy )

- Replacing a worn/scored or damaged bore is much simpler : Lift the liner out and put a new one in. Otherwise it's strip the block, machine it smooth and fit oversize piston/rings.
    Small adjustments in capacity/stroke/bore easily incorporated across an engine range

- Same block just different liner and crank/rods/pistons and completely different engine performance. Keeps costs/design down.

- Lower/simpler manufacturing cost. Not so critical now as casting methods and alloys are improved. Gettign efficient waterways to cool the cylinder walls of a compact performance engine is a challenge. Casting them is even harder. A wet liner allows much more efficient waterways. Not looked inside a recent wet liner engine ( my 1992 Alpine is ) but woudl imagine that by using better alloys and casting then smaller, lighter can be achieved.

- negative is the block isn't as structurally strong to twist as a single cast without additional specific features. But usually only a necessity for larger multi cylinder engines. Not small low capacity, high revving high power units. But see K-series in Lotus Elise issues

No doubt once the word went out that you did wet-liner engines folks woudl come to you. So many times I've heard of less knowledgable mechanics LIFT a head off of a wet liner system to find a liner dome with it and instead of a simpel head off work it's a full engine out, crank out and refit a liner NB: For anyone who is going to take a head off of an engine that MIGHT be a wet liner always, ALWAYS push the head to the side to break the seal to take it off .... NEVER lift it !!!
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Wet cylinder liners...followup

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Not just French cars used and use wet liners!
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++

It just seems as if the entire world's auto industries 'ave been missing a sure, advantageous, engine-design...for 'oer a century. Thusly, are Gallic vehicles the most revered, popular and durable...a standard bearer for all! (As-well-as the apparent reason for virtually all proper auto racing sleds to be powered by wet-sleeved-wonders.)

Well, mine was a Merc SLS with a sports exhaust. Wicked sound.
    FIXIE EVOLVED INTO SMALL MOTORBIKE! Now driving a Simson KR51 <3

Dream ride: red 1971 Opel Commodore GS/E

i dunno if it is the exhaust or the turbo, but the Porsche 935 turbo on rFactor sounds amazing. its in that video i posted. love it!

My friends 1938 Chevrolet Coupe with a 270 GMC 6 cyl with a one foot long exhaust pipe connected to the manifold! Iowa cops hated it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Imaj View Post
    The most powerful exhaust you ever heard (video, sound clip or real life).
    Mine's the Ferrari 512BB LM idling.

Click here
    Wanted to see it but it doesn't open, prolly cuz it was way back then
    Last edited by Wouter Melissen; 02-10-2022 at 01:26 PM.

Thread Information