Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Guess That Car

It prolly is a Fiat, i know it's italian but my first guess was alfa

Quote Originally Posted by austin healey View Post
    but that is close enough it was a 4/40 nearly identical here is the next one
    1938 Fiat 508S Balilla Spider... photo from carstyling.ru

What's this?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Should be an AWZ P70 Coupe.

My turn?
    Last edited by faksta; 09-02-2009 at 02:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by faksta View Post
    Should be an AWZ P70 Coupe.
    Also known as Zwickau P70 (AWZ stands for Automobil Werke Zwickau), and better known for producing the unforgettable Trabant.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

You guys are good. I know underneath that's a lowly Trabby, but it looks like the granddaddy of the Audi TT.

Faksta, from the hood line and front hubs that looks like a Panhard 750S... with (most likely) Italian bodywork. Would like to see side & rear shots for how the small proportions were handled. The whole looks pretty good, the hood not so much. Who built it?

Quote Originally Posted by csl177 View Post
    You guys are good. I know underneath that's a lowly Trabby, but it looks like the granddaddy of the Audi TT.

Faksta, from the hood line and front hubs that looks like a Panhard 750S... with (most likely) Italian bodywork. Would like to see side & rear shots for how the small proportions were handled. The whole looks pretty good, the hood not so much. Who built it?
    It is the Crepaldi Gilco Panhard 750 Sport from 1952. I found the answer on Simon Kidston's website, he is the guy with the microphone, and he has a full entry list there for the 2008 Mille Miglia.
    At first I did not think it to be a Panhard based special as the bulge on the hood looks totally out of place for a flat twin located in front of the wheels.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

henk4 is right, it is a 1952 Crepaldi Gilco Panhard 750 Sport. Now give us something to think
    csl177, you can easily find pictures of this car via Google by typing its name, although I have never seen any period shots. You also almost got it, by the way - everything was right except for the name was missing
    Last edited by faksta; 09-03-2009 at 03:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    It is the Crepaldi Gilco Panhard 750 Sport from 1952. I found the answer on Simon Kidston's website, he is the guy with the microphone, and he has a full entry list there for the 2008 Mille Miglia.
    At first I did not think it to be a Panhard based special as the bulge on the hood looks totally out of place for a flat twin located in front of the wheels.
    Thanks Faksta, some great photos of this car, the fuel filler in the roof is something not often seen! Henk, I thought the guy with the microphone looked familiar... should have searched Mille Miglia and found the complete answer.
    That hood bulge was part of the tip-off, the front hubs confirmed it for me. Most Panhard specials I've seen crowd the front bodywork unless the design has a long overhang, which this car doesn't. I like the profile and rear, it has that pumpkin seed aero profile seen on so many Italian cars of the '50s. Never heard of Crepaldi though, and can't find any history.

Thanks Faksta, some great photos of this car, the fuel filler in the roof is something not often seen! Henk, I thought the guy with the microphone looked familiar... should have searched Mille Miglia and found the complete answer.
    That hood bulge was part of the tip-off, the front hubs confirmed it for me. Most Panhard specials I've seen crowd the front bodywork unless the design has a long overhang, which this car doesn't. I like the profile and rear, it has that pumpkin seed aero profile seen on so many Italian cars of the '50s. Never heard of Crepaldi though, and can't find any history.
    I saw the Aardvark and the Devin Panhard, and they all have the engine located in front of the front axle. Have there been any specials which did it the other way around? (such as for instance the 2CV has?)

Never heard of Crepaldi though, and can't find any history.
    Some Crepaldi history should be in a book called 'La Sport e i Suoi Artigiani', but I don't have it.

http://www.motorbooks.co.uk/review.asp?bookid=42145
    Last edited by faksta; 09-04-2009 at 12:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    I saw the Aardvark and the Devin Panhard, and they all have the engine located in front of the front axle. Have there been any specials which did it the other way around? (such as for instance the 2CV has?)
    I can think of a couple mid-engined specials but like you, the ones I've seen are mounted in front of the axle. If you have pics of the Aardvark, notice how tall the engine is in the chassis... which is why this Crepaldi has that hood bulge. The Fairchild Panhard featured on Tam's site might have the engine reversed as it has a very sleek nose in comparison, but there's no mention in the copy.

ClassHModifieds3

Considering all the other engineering wizardry Jerry Fairchild lavished on the project including fuel injection and DOHC, it wouldn't surprise that he swapped the driveline around to get a lower CG. (photo from tamsoldracecarsite.net)

very old Austin Healey i think

scratch that last

During the interim can I sneak in this glorious unit

Looks like it might be a BMW 600 (logo on nose) with a fiberglas body. Went looking in all the usual microcar sites but came up empty... pretty cool though.

Thread Information