Thread: Getting started

Getting started

In the UK, we are lucky to have a well supported road navigation tradition with many clubs and sites to assist.

The best starting place is the MSA, who are responsible for oever-seeing all motorsport activities. They have an excellent introductory pack for rallying which covers navigating and driving.

THe first question to ask is what standard do you want to compete at.
    For local club road rallies it is NOT necessary to have a competition license.
    For National champsionships a 'B' license is usually required and in some cases an 'A'.
    For international ( and some national ) an 'A' license is needed.

'B' license is easy to get and is necessary before applying for an 'A'.
    To get an 'A' license you need Clerk of Course signatures of at least 4 events on a 'B' license ( with the exception of the Navigators 'A' which just needs more money )

All the details can be found at the MSA site - http://www.msauk.org/

For other countires, there will be a national equivalnet who will offer the same license structures.

The first step to take in navigating is to find out if it interests you....
    The best way to do that is to go along to local club and meet the folks and offer to assist marshalling and organising an event. marshals are always needed on events and initially you may only be assisting by holding the torch on the top of a hill on a small unmade road, but it's all about learning the ropes. Personally I think it is good to learn that experience as later you will appreciate the effort they're putting in when it's you competing

In the club, you will get to know people and they you. That gives you a chance to offer your navigational services to any willing driver. As everyoen wants to be a rally DRIVER, navigators are thin on the ground. So you will likely be offered a seat if you can prove you can read a map, plot a course and give instruction. Hopefully our little 'play' here will help you

Again, the experience of navigating will help you drive later. First as you will understand the difficulties the nav has and secondly you will be better at making pace notes !

We're going to initially focus on plot'n'bash techniques and tests.
    Mainly because they are the easiest to teach adn test on-line.
    Secondly, they are the usual starting point for low cost entry into rallying.
    and finally a useful grounding to move onto pce notes and road books later on

There is a Q&A thread, where we can ask questions as we go on ANY aspect of navigating and I'll try to help.

However, putting it in context .... I am NOT an 'international' grade nav or driver. I recognised that many years ago. I consider myself a reasonable club nav - again NOT the best ( we'll discuss why when we get onto regularity sections later on ). I've had a gap of 15+years in competitive nav but not a lot has changed beyond the average speed

So should be fun for you and hopefully a little for me
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

matra, do you have an A/B/C license?

Quote Originally Posted by Sweeney921
    matra, do you have an A/B/C license?
    Used to have an 'A'.

Have restarted rallying last year with friend and formed a Post-Historic Rally Team. So far none of the events have required ANY license, so until we get the funds to start doing internationals, I'll probably not bother and save myself the $50

Friends and I have re-entered rallying for FUN now, rather than the early heat of compeition when we were young, energetic and didn't have families to consume our paypackets So little need for a license.

For anyone starting out I would recommend getting a 'B' license to let you be able to step into a seat offered to you. Even to get an 'A" for a navigator is an simple task only needing more money to go to MSA !!

Hopefully, those who start here and go on to take this on ersiously will post back the outcomes and success stories ( and maybe pitfalls ) as they go ( mustang ??)
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Hopefully, those who start here and go on to take this on ersiously will post back the outcomes and success stories ( and maybe pitfalls ) as they go ( mustang ??)

sure will, the first rally that i know i might be in is in September, but theree might be a few more before that if my friend/ driver gets the car sorted / baught in time. this will be a Welsh Road rally during the night, so should be fun.

i am also going to the Weeton stages on June 20th with my club so i can take my camers and amybee do some sprt of report for you guys, that is if i am not to busy helping the team.

As long as we do better at next months Weeton stages than we did at the last ones i will be happy.
    Cedric - I sound like a chipmunk on there. Some friends of mine were like, "were you going through puberty?" I was like, no I was already 20, I just sound like a girl.

all the best
    RACZ

Quote Originally Posted by racz
    all the best
    Erm..

Thread Information