Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The All American Computer Build of 2010

its all about whether or not you want to take the risk. risk = learning. a friend of mine who is a pro now at building systems bent the pins when installing his CPU the first time around. The only issue is when there's an immense amount of re-wiring and internal connections to be done. fiddly motherboard pins and whatnot. luckily i have alot of boffins around to help me with this sort of stuff. but for the basics. its not all too fussy. I usually give myself a good 3 days and forced patience to build a system. lots of red bull and a stress ball xD

P.S most people who own the 920 overclock it straight out of the box from 2.66ghz to 3.7ghz @ 1.28v. Although it is recommended if doing so to use a more performance oriented CPU cooler, rather than the stock one that comes with it from intel. At these settings with a decent cooler it runs stable. This is my plan anyway. Just a heads up.
    Last edited by Cotterik; 03-14-2010 at 01:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cotterik View Post
    its all about whether or not you want to take the risk. risk = learning. a friend of mine who is a pro now at building systems bent the pins when installing his CPU the first time around. The only issue is when there's an immense amount of re-wiring and internal connections to be done. fiddly motherboard pins and whatnot. luckily i have alot of boffins around to help me with this sort of stuff. but for the basics. its not all too fussy. I usually give myself a good 3 days and forced patience to build a system. lots of red bull and a stress ball xD
    My finger slipped when I went to install the cpu first time around and I slightly bent one of the socket pins. Used a tweezer and about 10 seconds later all was well again, had me nervous though.

P.S most people who own the 920 overclock it straight out of the box from 2.66ghz to 3.7ghz @ 1.28v. Although it is recommended if doing so to use a more performance oriented CPU cooler, rather than the stock one that comes with it from intel. At these settings with a decent cooler it runs stable. This is my plan anyway. Just a heads up.
    I'm not doing any overclocking just yet. Maybe in a few months, I'll have to buy a CPU Cooler and some thermal paste first.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Thread Information