Thread: My BMW 700 Cabriolet

My BMW 700 Cabriolet

Well, 2007 wasn't a good year for us so some of my projects were delayed. Dealing with a crappy economy hurt my business enough to mothball it until people can afford to go see live music, my dad and several friends passed away, and I had a serious health scare. Luckily, that problem was corrected and I'm doing OK.. though losing 30-40 lbs would be a good goal.

So, with free time available (finally!) I've gotten back to work on my little BMW. It runs great, the interior is truly wonderful, has only 25,500 miles and is completely rust free. I've cleaned up everything and will complete the engine compartment detailing in a couple of weeks. I'll also remove the wheels for a proper strip and respray them. I'm looking for correct hubcaps... these are dented and ratty. I've gotten almost all the exterior trim polished, but will need to fabricate the lower pieces, probably from Mercedes w111 bits.
    I'm still undecided about a respray since the majority of the original finish is intact. Let me know what you think. The color is Capri Gruen.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by csl177; 09-23-2008 at 04:05 AM. Reason: spelling/photo added
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

that's wonderful. Is it the 32 BHP version or the CS?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

What was its original colour?

Looks like your aiming to end up with a minter, i always think its best keeping it original unless its something horrible.
    UP THE BORO!!!!

This is the 40PS version, Henk. I've also got an SC, #195519S that will be started sometime next year. It's complete but needs floorpans. Interesting car, C/R transaxle, very rare Nardi exhaust and some Martini mods. I was lucky, these cars came as a package. I traded a bunch of BMW 2800 CS parts for both.

This little cabrio was nearly perfect when I first saw it 15 years ago, but it wasn't for sale at the time, and was subsequently stored without care. It had boxes stacked on it, had it's paint scraped, a solvent-soaked rag tossed on a fender... a shame. At least the guy finally agreed to let me have it.

The interior was very dirty, but cleaned up well. The engine only needed freshening... a battery and fuel, and it started right up. A blast to drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Q TOY View Post
    What was its original colour?

Looks like your aiming to end up with a minter, i always think its best keeping it original unless its something horrible.
    Thanks, Q... it's the original paint, the color is Capri Green. I've wet-sanded with 600#, and hope to be able to get a good enough match to simply touch up the flaws. There are lots of small ones, though. Alternatively, maybe buffing it out and leaving it as "patina" would be better?

Nice 700 Cabriolet.

The color seems alright so I'd keep it.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by csl177 View Post

This little cabrio was nearly perfect when I first saw it 15 years ago, but it wasn't for sale at the time, and was subsequently stored without care. It had boxes stacked on it, had it's paint scraped, a solvent-soaked rag tossed on a fender... a shame. At least the guy finally agreed to let me have it.

The interior was very dirty, but cleaned up well. The engine only needed freshening... a battery and fuel, and it started right up. A blast to drive.
    Always a pity that the man do not want to sell a perfect car now, but after he neglected it for 15 years, now its for sale. People like that make me 'die moerin'[sorry Henk]

looks very nice

Finally got to meet the OP yesterday at Sebring HSR Historics (he also drives lovely 1960's era 911 "Euro" styled race car)

The 700 Kabrio looks great

Really diggin the "Schorsch Meier" emblem on the rear of the car

"Schorsch" Meier AKA Georg Meier was a promi Bavarian Motorcycle racer not unlike Wolfgang Denzel who also got wrapped up in the sales of BMW Motorcycles (and later cars) in the late 1940's early 50's (the dealer is now defunkt/amalgamated into Schmidt BMW in the Munich area) so the cars original sales dealer has quite a kool motorcycle racing history, (and I would'nt be suprised if Georg raced a 700s back in day as well)

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georg_Meier"]Georg Meier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Can't wait to see the Kabrio in person

Enjoy!

Tom
    Last edited by LeicaTom; 10-26-2010 at 10:15 AM.

Thread Information