Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hey PC guys....

Hey PC guys....

I am a long time mac user. Recently i feel that the quality, reliability, and durability that brought me to apple aren't as strong any more. i have a 2 year old macbook pro that is in need of an 800$ repair. This is not the first problem it has had.

needless to say, i dont want to spent 800$ repairing a 2 year old computer.

I'm thinking about buying a new computer in the 2000$ range. I am open to windows computers.

What do you recommend? What do you advise against?

I want intel i7 processors, a decent 3d accellerator, probably at least 6gigs of ram. I would prefer a blu-ray drive at at least a 15 inch screen. 3d would be nice, but not 100% necessary. 1080p would also be nice.

Has windows 7 allowed windows to at least get close to mac os in quality, reliability and ease of use? or should i just stick to apple because windows isn't quite there yet?
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

last year I bought an Acer Aspire 5740G, which has not quite the requirements you are looking for, (4 GB, i5 processor, 15.6 inch and 640 GB harddisk), but I only paid about 600 Euro. It runs on Windows 7 and I have no complaints about that. I hear more swearing from junior who is using a MacBook pro, just like you
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Hey PC guys....

I spent ~$1500 building a Windows 7 rig that is still on par with the elite PCs of today in the 2k+ range. For that money you can get one hell of a computer.

To answer your question regarding Win7: yes. It is head and shoulders above Any other operating system MS has put out. Everything just works the way you expect it to, incredibly user friendly and customizable.

If your looking to buy mainstream I'd look towards a Dell XPS system or a high-end Acer or Asus.

I'll look around tomorrow when I'm not posting from my phone to give you some ideas.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

If you want power for cheap, build it yourself with help from tech savvy friends.

A $2,000 USD computer will be devastating, will it not?

Laptops are a no-no for build it yourself as you are wanting to replace the macbook can you confirm it's a laptop you're after - screen size spec suggests a 'yes' but confirm pls ?

In the US you are getting some phenomenal deals just now as the big boys hp and dell are clearing stocks alogn with the new CES announcements.

As an ex Appler how much is design "worth" to you as things like the HP Envy are as sexy as mac air ... but at a price ( interestingly just dropped $200 below MAC equivalent prices )

You don't say what you use it for/want to use it for.
    For gaming you need to look for dedicated grpahics card and memory and avoid the "cheap" integrated video options if you want quality to match the screen capability.
    and for 3D ............... HP Envy 3D $1600 ? hitting all your needs so far .... but weight high for portable

For more inputs let us know what you want to do with it and how much portable is important. i7s tend to be top of the range laptops and assume "power" user and end up heavier and larger to get the cooling in for power users.
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 01-07-2011 at 03:20 AM.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

I've never used a Mac, but Windows 7 is the best windows OS yet, and $2,000 is more than enough for a fanstastic laptop [but will it run Crysis?]

The thing with Mac, Alienwares, FalconNorthwoods etc. much of the price will be going to the brand name alone.

XPS etc are good bets, and of course as Kitdy said if you can build your own you will get even more bang for buck.

If possible, get it with USB 3.0!

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    If you want power for cheap, build it yourself with help from tech savvy friends.

A $2,000 USD computer will be devastating, will it not?
    Agreed with Kitdy, if you're willing to either build it yourself (or have someone else build it/ help you), you could get away with a bit of a discount.

Tried getting a PC together on newegg quick, seems for $1500 more or less, you could get:

i7 950
    Coolermaster CPU cooler (optional, but recommended)
    Coolermaster chassis
    850W PSU
    Asus Rampage III Gene
    OCZ 6 GB RAM
    ASUS HD5850 graphics
    2TB HDD
    Blu-ray writer
    Samsung 23" LCD

It's not absolutely top of the line, but should take most of what you can throw at it.

If you're building a desktop definitely go with the new i7 2600/P67 mobo which is faster, uses less power... therefor easier to cool than the current i7's.... and is very reasonably priced.

I'm very happy with Window's 7.

My rig built by me for less than $2000:

Cooler Master HAF 932
    i7 920 overclocked
    Titan FINRIR cooler
    6 gb Mushkin Blackline DDR3 ram
    ATi HD 5870 vid card
    ASUS P6T V2 Deluxe mobo
    Barracuda 7200.12 Hard Drive

I wouldn't say build it yourself, but definitely get it built. Get some knowledgeable people to recommend a bunch of parts, order them all online from a local computer store chain or whatever and elect to have them build it and install everything. Perfect.
    That's what I did. It's far, far cheaper than buying a packaged computer from a store, you get what you want for the price you want (rather than getting what they want you to have at the price they want it), and they'll build it for an extra $50 or something.

What's more, $2000 is plenty. It's heaps, in fact. My computer was $1300, and that includes a 21.5 inch LED screen 1080p screen (modern technology), DVD burner (not blu-ray), i5 and 4gb of RAM. Also included keyboard and mouse. To upgade all those parts to the spec you want them will still leave you quite a ways under $2000.
    All about the t-tops

My first laptop was $550. intel dual core cpu, 4gb ram, windows 7, intel graphics, 250gb hdd. runs like a dream. i'm sure $1500 would find you something mint.

example.
    http://www.centrecom.com.au/catalog/...ducts_id=49894
    IT'S OFFICIAL. I'M A SUZUKI KIZASHI SPORT FAN-BOY.

what stops me from buying this over a XR6 SV6 ?. drive-train. place a little wrx evo magic under the bonnet and i'm sold!.

Sorry for the confusion. I am definitely getting a laptop.

Basically, it will be used for school and work, but also for gaming and the occassional movie watching (although maybe more than occasional if i have 3D).

The HP's do look super sweet and reasonably priced but i have heard nothing but bad things about HP's as far as reliability and customer service goes. Sony and Toshiba seem to score very well in customer service and reliability (even higher than apple)
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

Also, if you can go for an SSD for your laptop, it will do wonders to your acess time, start-up, and battery time.
    Last edited by aiasib; 01-07-2011 at 07:59 AM. Reason: removed redundant comments after being ninja'd

Jamaica, New York, USA... for now, out in the DR studyin!
    you could check @ xoticpc.com. thats the website where i buy laptops as u said for school/work, and occasional gaming. best i had ever was a sager that got robbed. 17" pure power, cost me around 1200. sure u can find better than that for 2000. just my $.02
    WHEN THE POWER OF LOVE OVERCOMES THE LOVE OF POWER, THE WORLD WILL KNOW PEACE!!!!!!!!!!
    -Jimi Hendrix

I have the first Intel Macbook, and the only paid for repair i have ever needed was a new screen after some heavy duty school use, where the wear and tear of the bag destroyed it. The computer is 4 years old, and i have only had 1 crash in all these years, and that was because of a faulty firmware update.

So i'm sorry to hear about your problem, but to be honest, go for a Apple again
    Also known as:
    CTD and CrashTestDummy

does anybody know about how to record tv from a satelite box onto your windows pc?

this interests me. is it just an antenna that plugs into the coaxial out on the box and then sends a wireless signal to your pc?

Thread Information