Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Job Interview Question

Job Interview Question

I scored an interview for a 'DATA WAREHOUSE DEVELOPER' job in the area. Craigslist posting stated:

The Data Warehouse (DW) Developer is recognized as a Subject Matter Expert forspecific areas of development in Data Warehousing and Business Intelligence (BI) Team Services. This position focuses on the design, development, and delivery of business intelligence solutions including: dashboards, scorecards, reports, user interfaces, and associated database design and data structures using Microsoft technology, applications and tools.

Major Responsibilities/Activities
    * Develops, supports and delivers specific BI Team Services.
    * Leads small projects that design and deliver data models, Analysis Services/OLAP cubes, other data structures: ODS databases; marts; and data warehouse databases in response to business requirements.
    * Communicates with business users to design and deliver dashboards, reports and other user interfaces that drive business value and efficiently and effectively leverage the use of data.
    * Begins to contribute to technical solutions in architecture meetings determining project scope, tasks, timeframe, resources to provide project estimates for the BI DW Team Lead.
    * Begins to interact with a variety of internal and external users to develop technical designs and reviews with the rest of the project team as appropriate.
    * Develops solutions on data migration, data mapping, and data interface development activities.
    * Attains knowledge of data warehouse architcture and practices Lean/Agile development methods and techniques.
    * Attains knowledge of the data warehouse, data mart models and the business information maintained in each.
    * Utlizes Microsoft Business Intelligence based Tools, Services and Support (SSIS, SSAS, SSRS, PPS/SP, etc.) for DW solutions.
    * Reconciles complicated data and processing problems.
    * Works under technical guidance of the BI Development Team Lead or DW Architect.
    * Delivers solutions that satisfy and delight business users.
    * Designs and develops business intelligence solutions: Analysis Services\Cubes, using Star Schema, Snowflake Schema, many-to-many relationships and slowly changing dimensions, shared dimensions across multiple fact tables to support the dynamic analysis requirements from customers.
    * Designs and develops end to end ETL solutions to source, clean , and load the data warehouse data marts, utilizing techniques such as parallel load - multitasking error reporting- error handling Snapshoting etc.
    * Creates detailed documentation of data warehouse and data marts, cube structures, and ETL as part of project solutions and presents results to Technology.
    * Develops complex Stored Procedures to support ETLs and Reporting.
    * Working knowledge of data aggregation and extensive experience in designing and delivering solutions with large volumes (tables with hundreds of GBs; TB size databases) of data.
    * Works under minimal supervision from BI Development Team Lead or DW Architect
    * Designs and develops email subscriptions, reports, dashboards and KPIs.
    * Develops solutions using Lean and Agile software development principles and processes.
    He e-mailed me back with:

Hi,

Thank you for the interested in the job opening. When would you be able to come in for an informal interview? If you have a printed resume available can you please have that ready, a printed credit report (I have provided a link below) and a valid driver's license or photo ID. When you have everything prepared get in touch with me with a date when you would be able to come in.
    http://www.credreports.org/?id=quQxAFUW

Respectfully,
    Jason Davis
    Something seems fishy to me though. For one, the 'thank you for your interested' bit in broken English and more-so the need for my credit report from some freecreditscore site. Is this guy out to steal my identity? Also, this ad has been posted multiple times with varying compensation levels: 12+, 14, and 17 an hour. I'm thinking it's a scam.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

it may very well be a scam, but credit reports are becoming de rigeur for potential employees, especially ones that will be handling money or sensitive data, though typically, the employer would do that himself. that he wants it printed seems a bit better than asking for your info up front, so that you can scope him and the place out prior to handing it over.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    it may very well be a scam, but credit reports are becoming de rigeur for potential employees, especially ones that will be handling money or sensitive data, though typically, the employer would do that himself. that he wants it printed seems a bit better than asking for your info up front, so that you can scope him and the place out prior to handing it over.
    Yeah, I'm in that school of thought right now.

I replied with this:

Thank you for the reply.

Would it be possible for you to provide the company name and details? I do not feel comfortable providing a credit report without a thorough understanding of the business.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

I'd be suspicious as that link hits a linkstrac url and THAT raises alarm bells.
    Ask if you can bring a different independant credit report and if they will cover your expenses in doing so.
    A decent employer/interviewer shouldn't see that as a barrier.

EDIT: Just checked the dns reports and both are godaddy.com hosted and the cred one address is Scottsdale, Arizona. My suspcion monitor has just gone off

Maybe this helps guide the decision ..... Jason Davis is on the FlakeList!
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 02-03-2011 at 04:32 PM.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Job Interview Question

I'll tell him I'm broke and can't afford a credit report. Will ask if he can provide 20 dollars to cover the service
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Eh, just forget it. Too suspicious.

Seems a bit odd that they don't tell you who you're applying to. Even if it's a recruitment agency they should have the name of the agency on there surely? I'd never click a link with an id=XXX tag that came from someone I don't know.. not from my own PC anyway.

Oh, and Matra's link there.. definately is a scam then.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Hi.
    I'm a Niggerian prince.
    Please give me all your financial information so I can reimburse you any money our country owes you.
    Thanks. <3
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

Quote Originally Posted by johnnynumfiv View Post
    Hi.
    I'm a Niggerian prince.
    Please give me all your financial information so I can reimburse you any money our country owes you.
    Thanks. <3
    There's only one G in Nigeria you scumbag
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

The credit report request isn't suspicious itself, as others have pointed out that's becoming commonplace. However, some of the other stuff is fishy so just proceed with caution. No harm in asking for more info, any legitimate company would be understanding of your concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    There's only one G in Nigeria you scumbag
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

Job Interview Question

I started screwing with him. Told him I'll meet him at Applebees and sent him my 'credit report' which was just a picture that said GO F**K YOURSELF.

He hasn't responded though.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Hi.
    I'm a Niggerian prince.
    You might just end up offending someone perhaps?
    Buy a car for you, not for other people

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    I started screwing with him. Told him I'll meet him at Applebees and sent him my 'credit report' which was just a picture that said GO F**K YOURSELF.

He hasn't responded though.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75VmA7mZxxs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75VmA7mZxxs[/ame]
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Hi.
    I'm a Niggerian prince.
    Thanks. <3
    On a related note, I've always wanted to get a letter from "Mrs. Sani Abacha" and go on a long rant about Nigerian government and her husband's atrocities. AP Government wasn't as useless as I thought.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Thread Information