Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Barack Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize

Barack Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize

As I'm sure many of you have seen:
    BBC NEWS | Europe | Obama wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize

I think that this decision is pretty hasty on the part of the committee. I do agree with a good number of Obama's policies, definitely more than his predecessors', but there are other ones, specifically his stance on gay marriage, that really irk me. Suffice to say; while he might be going in the correct direction in international relations, he has yet to produce something tangible enough to deserve this award, in my humble opinion. I would love if in the next 4 or 8 years he did something or multiple things that did deserve it, but as of now, this is a somewhat vacuous honor.

Thoughts?
    Try to keep this civilized, folks.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Same opinion.
    As far as I like him, it seems a bit too early for such a high value prize.
    What I may suggest is that this could be interpreted as a sign, like something to help the global situation and specifically the relationships between certain countries to be more open and less tighten to their old and not really producing positions.

Meh, I thought it was a joke at first.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

It's more an encouragement than a reward. An interesting choice, which I hope will go down as one of the great ones.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

He's got enough on his plate already. It does appear that it's an encouragement of a sort but I agree, he hasn't done much world-changing just yet. I hope he can realize some of his goals, but have my doubts. In the legislative tussle over our "healthcare system" (sic) he has been too quick to compromise over things most Americans want and need. Unless he's playing a very shrewd political game against the moneyed interests that we can't recognize, so far he's allowed the bills presented out of committee to be sops to the insurance industry.

In the Middle East he's followed his FC's so far, and here we are going into 9 years in Afganistan. And less presence in Iraq doesn't alter the facts of the region. A huge, needless boondoggle brought to you by our military-industrial overlords.

Maybe the Nobel committee was so thrilled that Bush is gone they felt like a party?
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Well, this comes as no surprise, considering the committee's track record in the past.

In 1994, Yasser Arafat, leader of the Palestine Liberation Army (PLO) received the Nobel Peace Prize, together with Yitzhak Rabin and Shimon Peres, for the negotiations at Oslo. During this time, Hamas and other militant organizations rose to power ...and shook the foundations of the authority that Fatah under Arafat had established in the Palestinian territories.

At least Arafat and Rabin worked longer than 12 days before getting the award....

The Nobel Peace Prize to Arafat of the PLO was awarded for work in progress in the Middle East which never reached its fruition. History repeats itself today with the awarding of the Nobel Peace Prize to President Obama, who has not yet finished what he aspires to accomplish. Some of us here (me) hope that much of what he aspires to is never accomplished; I cannot afford it.

Sadly, politics rule once again.

Had Obama been a conservative Republican, his name would never have even been considered. Period.
    Last edited by wstander; 10-09-2009 at 10:20 AM.

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe.
    I find this kinda funny. Obama gets an award and Bush doesn't. (TEE-HEE!)
    Buddy: 1998-2009
    Mah boi, UCP is what all true warriors strive for!
    PINGAS!!!!

That's nothing....just wait until next year when Obama's the new Pope and the Grand Wizard of the KKK.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Scuderia View Post
    That's nothing....just wait until next year when Obama's the new Pope and the Grand Wizard of the KKK.
    no words on the new leader of the Jedi's order?
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    no words on the new leader of the Jedi's order?
    In an unprecedented move, NYC's Downtown Athletic Club has announced today that Pres. Obama is this year's Heisman Trophy winner, narrowly beating out Tim Tebow for the top honor. "Tebow was having a great year," said DAC Chairman Tipper McGreedy, 'but we just couldn't pass up this opportunity to recognize the huge talents of President Obama."

The annual Heisman Trophy Awards show has been moved from it's customary late-season slot to a Primetime 3-hour NBC Thanksgiving Day special co-hosted by Kanye West and Beyonce.

In related news, Pres. Obama is also considered to be the front-runner for the NFL's MVP prize as well as the A.L. Cy Young award.

Who in everybody's opinion would have deserved the price and why?
    Up till this morning I had not spent a single thought on the subject matter, but now that the choice has been announced I cannot readily come up with another candidate. I would also not (yet) have suggested Obama though. Although he has managed to give the US a much more reasonable appearence in the eyes of many of their allies, major solutions have yet to be produced, in a way not unreasonable given the foreign mess his predecessor left him with.
    So who else?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Scuderia View Post
    In an unprecedented move, NYC's Downtown Athletic Club has announced today that Pres. Obama is this year's Heisman Trophy winner, narrowly beating out Tim Tebow for the top honor. "Tebow was having a great year," said DAC Chairman Tipper McGreedy, 'but we just couldn't pass up this opportunity to recognize the huge talents of President Obama."

The annual Heisman Trophy Awards show has been moved from it's customary late-season slot to a Primetime 3-hour NBC Thanksgiving Day special co-hosted by Kanye West and Beyonce.

In related news, Pres. Obama is also considered to be the front-runner for the NFL's MVP prize as well as the A.L. Cy Young award.
    hahahaha that's some good stuff. Why not give him the N.L. Cy Young too just for the hell of it. Gotta rep the Cubbies too lol
    Last edited by Cobrafan427; 10-09-2009 at 12:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    It's more an encouragement than a reward.
    I agree with this statement, but it is absurd for the voters to make such a selection. I mean US is currently in war and increasing troops and he gets a Peace award??

I need some encouragement in discovering the next best thing in Physics. Could I have the next Nobel Prize in Physics?

In my opinion this award degraded the Nobel awards as something that is affected by politics.
    Minimising losses can maximise net gains

I thought this was a joke when I first saw it on a different site this morning. The slobbering love affair the world has with this credential-less n00b is incredible. Since when is the Nobel given as an incentive for future acts? Did Einstein win the Nobel as an "encouragement" for his ideas on the photoelectric effect? Nein. He got the award in recognition of them. As in after he'd done something.

This is simply pathetic. I don't care how amazing, awesome, super, - whatever other superlatives you want to use to describe the Messiah - he is, this takes away from any gravity that remained in winning the Nobel Peace Prize. We've apparently reached a stage of humanity in which ideas, promises and feel-good speeches suffice as evidence enough of being an extraordinary human being, which is kind of disappointing.
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

Quote Originally Posted by my porsche View Post
    I thought this was a joke when I first saw it on a different site this morning. The slobbering love affair the world has with this credential-less n00b is incredible. Since when is the Nobel given as an incentive for future acts? Did Einstein win the Nobel as an "encouragement" for his ideas on the photoelectric effect? Nein. He got the award in recognition of them. As in after he'd done something.

This is simply pathetic. I don't care how amazing, awesome, super, - whatever other superlatives you want to use to describe the Messiah - he is, this takes away from any gravity that remained in winning the Nobel Peace Prize. We've apparently reached a stage of humanity in which ideas, promises and feel-good speeches suffice as evidence enough of being an extraordinary human being, which is kind of disappointing.
    Yeah, I thought I was reading The Onion when I first saw it.

One thing speaks in favour for the Nobel Prize Committee, they don't have to watch Fox News. (I propose O'Reilly)
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Thread Information