View Poll Results: How much modification is acceptable?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bone-stock only!

2 7.14%
  • It's a case-by-case matter

20 71.43%
  • Light utilitarian modifications are acceptable

3 10.71%
  • I want my car to be unique and mine! Modified and tailored to my needs is the only way

3 10.71%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Car Modification

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    Also depends on the quality of the mods and the
    Agreed. I think most cars can pull it off if it's done right, but if it's not done right it'll look terrible regardless of the car. Too many people just want alloy rims, fat exhaust and body kit, it almost always looks worse.
    All about the t-tops

For me it's stickers, and no more!
    Also known as:
    CTD and CrashTestDummy

unless it's a daily hack nothing i own is stock.
    though with newer cars there is less room to improve (and the complexity makes it hard) - i.e. the magneto suspension stuff on a few cars, i probably wouldn't touch that, it seems as good as it gets.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

I used to be a very staunch stock car person. I feel like the factory made it that way, it should stay that way. However, I feel that's partly because I see many badly modified Hondas and I've grown tired of hearing fartcans.

I still prefer some originality- don't put 20 inch wheels on your 1960's Mustang. But please be tasteful about it.

The things that Chip Foose does to cars really annoys me. He loves chopping the tops off cars, put a candy coat on it and adding huge speakers to it. Not what I'd do personally, but hey, the nut gets the bills paid.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    chip tuning is enough. (and I put a Dan Gurney for President sticker on the back door).
    Pics or it didn't happen.

henk, I did not know you were a US citizen! Are you going to do a write in for Mr. Gurney for pres 2012?

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    At last race her last run gave her fastest time on Doune hillclimb for the weekend. EVERYONE was laughing when we saw her time .... 66.66s SPOOKY )
    I think I may have seen that on the clock actually, and I remember a bunch of laughter at that. Very good. You also made some interesting decals for another competitor...

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Nowhre near Stonehenge, Doune's in Scotland - just round the corner from the castle used in Monty Python and the Hoy Grail
    If only we had enough time you could have gone on to the ramparts and pretended to be a French John Cleese!

Final off topic bit: I do have (very) few pics and videos from the event. PM me what email address you want me to send them to! I gotta dig them out from wherever I put them first though.

Concerning this matter, I put myself quite close to NSX's camp. Out on the road, the majority of modifications I see are 3.5 inch exhaust pipes which are very loud and do not even sound good, a lowered suspension, and big rims for that ultimate "individuality" and attractive factor. Which is funny, as these are by far the most common modifications. I could understand this to some degree if it made the car look or sound better, but in my eyes and ears it does neither.

This has largely soured me from modifications, but I have warmed to them. I mostly find myself arguing against modifications like these with my friends on the grounds of aesthetics or usability or price etc etc...

When it comes to high end cars or rare cars I generally think these should be kept stock, for somewhat obvious reasons.

The pro-touring scene interests me, and there are a lot of very practical, and performance oriented car modifications that can be good in a lot of other car subcultures as well across the entire spectra of the car world. Harder I think is enhancing a car's looks from the factory. The mods I see are usually tacky and overdone even if done with quality execution and parts.

I am also not particularly fond of the idea of being different or unique for the sake of it; do what you want in your life regardless if it is mainstream or niche.

If you like 1998 Toyota Corollas completely stock because it is a reliable and practical car, more power to you. I find a lot of car enthusiasts look down on people who are interested in cars as a means of utilitarian transport. This bothers me.

Screw high end modification companies. They suck.

Also your red DX Civic with no modifications other than decals, a fart can, some bad paint, and bigger wheels is really annoying to see and especially hear. Mind you, if you want to drive it, go ahead.

Maybe a cop will pull you over though and tell you that your obnoxious exhaust note does not pass sound levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Pics or it didn't happen.

henk, I did not know you were a US citizen! Are you going to do a write in for Mr. Gurney for pres 2012?
    here you are, as of 2013 the Gurney flap will be mandatory on all cars.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Finally, there is a politician willing to promote sensible policy.

Finally, there is a politician willing to promote sensible policy.
    but of course you will have to pay for it yourself.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

It definitely depends. First of all it depends on the goals that the owner has. Some need fast sleeper, some want to build an eye-stopper, some - just comfortable everyday car. The only thing I'm sure about is that one should be moderate regardless of the goals.
    Be the way, I was lucky to see an mk2 Golf, it was absolutely clean-looking from the outside but under the bonnet... I don't know what on earth has the owner done with it, but it makes 400bhp and flat out runs faster than latest RS6 and M5 E60

I like the Audi stickers, did you get them at Le Mans?

but of course you will have to pay for it yourself.
    I demand an impeachment process be instigated! Where is Ken Starr?!

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrafan427 View Post
    I like the Audi stickers, did you get them at Le Mans?
    Also, were you not a supporter of Peugeot in this recent golden era? Did Wouter slip those on your car without your approval?

What is your son driving now anyhoo?

Nah, that'll ruin the fuel economy...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Maybe a cop will pull you over though and tell you that your obnoxious exhaust note does not pass sound levels.
    This happens in the UK now
    Mainly on bikes for the past decade but I've heard of a few cars getting pulled.
    The British MOT that every car must pass does require a limit on the sound levels produced. My race can on the bike fails at anything about 2000 revs, so any sign of a police car and I poodle around at low revs
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Also, were you not a supporter of Peugeot in this recent golden era? Did Wouter slip those on your car without your approval?
    What I have on my car is my decision. Peugeot did not issue stickers, I have a free T-shirt instead. (I am a grown-up fanboy)

I was sure you changed C5 for 508 lately...

Thread Information