Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: V8 supercars vs BTTC and DTM

V8 supercars vs BTTC and DTM

what are the usual specs for each of these race classes? im interested to see which series has the fastest and best cars.

i havent seen much of the DTM or BTTC series...

(is the BTTC like TOCA?)
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

V8 Supercars is alot like DTM i believe, but DTM use smaller, medium sized cars and is open to several manufacturers unlike the Ford vs Holden V8 Supercars. BTCC and TOCA i have ablsolutely no idea about except that theyre touring cars I saw a race once and they had like 3 classes running
    I am the Stig

Ford Falcon V8 Supercar specifications:

http://www.v8supercars.com.au/techni...rdBAFalcon.pdf

Holden Commodore V8 Supercar specifications:

http://www.v8supercars.com.au/techni...YCommodore.pdf

2004 V8 Supercar Championship Series Race Format and Points Format:

http://www.v8supercars.com.au/techni...riesPoints.pdf
    I am the Stig

As far as governing bodies go, V8 Supercars is controlled by 3 organisations.

The Confederate of Australian Motorsports (CAMS) controls all motorsports in Australia, and takes care of legal matters like fines and appeals.

The Touring Car Entrants Group of Australia (TEGA) controls all touring car series in Australia, going from things like V8 Supercars to GT-Performance. I'm not sure if they have a say in Historic Touring Cars though. It handles technical rules of V8 Supercars and also features a TEGA technical board, comprising of team officials from both For and Holden camps. It acts as an interface between the teams, drivers and officials.

The Australian Vee Eight Supercar Company (AVESCO) sets out the individual rules and schedule of the V8 Supercars, such as the race calender, publicity and merchandising etc.
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by whiteballz
    what are the usual specs for each of these race classes? im interested to see which series has the fastest and best cars.

i havent seen much of the DTM or BTTC series...

(is the BTTC like TOCA?)
    yeah sorta, but have 3 classes, but the top class (dunno the name) is the one on toca

DTM cars . V8 4.0l +400BHP .. standard ZF gearbox . standard brakes etc
    BTCC . 2 or 4 doors cars .. 2L engines . aprox 270-280 BHP .1230 kg .. i think
    There is no terrible way of winning
    there is just winning

would i be right in saying DTM and BTCC are governed by the FIA?
    I am the Stig

DTM - DTM is organised by the DMSB (Deutscher Motor Sport Bund e.V.). The DMSB DTM commission is responsible for the regulations, the ITR (Internationale Tourenwagen Rennen e.V.) for organisation and marketing of the series.
    The ADAC controls all motorsport in Germany. Germany's ADAC (which is the German version of the FIA or CAMS). The DTM cars would be the fastest cars around any given racetrack due to much lighter weight than V8 Supercars and therefore better power to weight. The DTM cars also have much better aerodynamices than a V8 Supercar. Engines are 4.0 litre V8s with around 470-500 bhp. Minimum weight is 1050kg. To qualify a minimum of 10,000 road cars must have been built. The cars must be rear wheel drive, though (as in the case of the Audi A4), they can be converted from front or all wheel drive to rear drive. The tyres, brakes, gearbox and electronics are standard components from exclusive suppliers. Electronic driver aids are prohibited. Cars currently competing are Audi A4, Opel Vectra, Mercedes C-Class, Opel Astra Coupe and Mercedes CLK. Audi, Opel and Mercedes all run full factory teams with at least 6 cars each.

BTCC is for 2.0 litre touring cars. Classes are for BTC Touring and FIA Super 2000 cars. Both classes are for 2.0 litre cars. Engines can have a maximum of 6 clyinders. BTC cars have about 280 bhp. Super 2000 cars about 260 bhp. BTC cars weigh about 1250 kg. Super 2000 cars about 1150 kg. Cars can be front wheel drive or rear wheel drive. Gearboxes are 6-speed sequential for the BTC and 5-speed sequential for the Super 2000 cars.
    Cars competing currently in the BTC Touring Class are Vauxhall Astra Coupe, MG ZS, Honda Civic Type R, Proton Impain, Peugeot 306, Peugeot 407. Cars competing in the Super 2000 class are Seat Toledo and Alfa 156.
    Full manufacturer teams are run by Vauxhall, Proton and Seat.

Then there is the European Touring Car Championship. This is for 2.0 litre FIA Super 2000 cars. Cars involved are Alfa Romeo 156, BMW 320, Honda Accord Euro and Civic Type R, Seat Toledo, Peugeot 307, Ford Focus, Skoda Octavia and Volvo S60.
    Manufacturers are Alfa Romeo, BMW, Honda, Seat, Skoda and Seat.

V8 Supercars are explained in FPV's links.

So a rough comparison:
    DTM - 470 bhp/1050 kg.
    V8 Supercar - 650 bhp/1350 kg.
    BTC Touring - 280 bhp/1250 kg.
    Super 2000 - 260 bhp/1150 kg.

Of the series, DTMs are the fastest, V8 Supercars probably the most visually exciting, BTCC has the most variety and ETCC has the most manufacturers involved.

The V8 Supercar Series currently has the closest fields (the 32 car field is seperated by less than 1 second in every race) and is currently recognised as the best Touring Car Championship in the world. The DTM would be a close second. The ETCC becomes the WTCC next year and is building support quickly. The BTCC used to be the best series in the 90s, but is now a shadow of its former self. It is gradually rebuilding.

So, there is a summary of the four main touring car championships in the world at the moment.

Official websites:
    BTCC - www.toca-tour.co.uk
    DTM - www.dtm.de
    ETCC - www.eurostc.com

Photos attached are Jean Alesi's 2004 DTM Mercedes, the start of the recent BTCC and ETCC rounds (to tell the difference, BMWs and Alfas dominate the ETCC picture and a Seat and Vauxhalls the BTCC) and Paul Radisich's Falcon V8 Supercar
    Attached Images Attached Images

The DTM's remind me alot of the Group C Falcons and Commodores from the early 80's with their wide body kits
    I am the Stig

the only difference is that DTM BTCC have much better quality of racing than the V8's do
    Hachi Roku Owner.

you could see that there isn't any battle in DTM and many in V8 and BTCC(quite limited in power with the 2L)

I love the BTCC because its great seeing the repmobiles on steroids battle it out. DTM is also cool and ofcourse the fantastic V8 Supercars.

Heres a great website for history on BTCC cars...

http://freespace.virgin.net/tjl.theg...otahistory.htm

http://freespace.virgin.net/tjl.thegrove/btcchome.htm

by the looks the dtm race cars look much more advanced especially with all the aerodynamics and they have moved all the weight towards the rear. you can see the driver is pretty much sitting in the back seat and the engine is also very far back. but it comes down to the rules maybe btcc is restricted to its engine capicity and output and its weight.

V8 supercars are very close in looks to the on road car. But thats it both holden and ford use bigger engines in there road cars 5.4Lt and 5.7Lt. but both run 5.0Lt's in the supercar series.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Quote Originally Posted by Spastik_Roach
    I love the BTCC because its great seeing the repmobiles on steroids battle it out. DTM is also cool and ofcourse the fantastic V8 Supercars.

Heres a great website for history on BTCC cars...

http://freespace.virgin.net/tjl.theg...otahistory.htm

http://freespace.virgin.net/tjl.thegrove/btcchome.htm

Good find there Spastik. They are very good websites.
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

Thread Information