Page 43 of 69 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast

Thread: Gran Turismo 5

I finally found how to change the controls. Much better

a few hours in Im still disappointed with the graphics. graphics arent everything, but they are so dated.

one positive that I must say is the sense of speed in the game. One thing that had bothered me in forza was everything seemed slow. GT5 got it right. It looks much more realistic in that sense in gt5
    UCP's NO. 1 Source for Enzo & 69 Camaro pic's

My weekend review...

So I got the game on Saturday(Collector's Edition), despite me wanting to wait until I can get a driving seat setup to play it on my TV, the temptation was too much and I just routed to my PC setup and used my LCD monitor(22", 16:10 aspect ratio, does support 1080p, but picture looks slightly squished from the side). Played pretty much from Saturday 11am ish to Sunday 10pm(there is 8hr sleep in there, and food and whatnot). Got to I think level 15 and finished up to IB license.....Played exclusively with G25 wheel, most of the time with no all aids turned off except ABS left at 1.

So the game plays pretty much the same as GT4. The cars feels very familiar, the sense of grip is there, the way the car tend to squirm under heavy braking is the same. The way how the game progresses is the same. But everything just looks prettier(despite the skewed aspect ratio on my monitor). I actually think its easier than the GT Academy demo out last year, but then aside from one License test I haven't really driven the 370Z yet(the car featured in that demo). Handling wise coming from playing pretty much exclusively gMotor based title(rFactor/GTR2/GTL/GTR Evo) in the last couple of years the game doesn't feel THAT different to them. But I'd like to think I am a better "sim driver" now vs when I started playing GT4 in 2006. So that might play a part in my view of the game. The cars do drive differently, which is the same as I remembered in all GT games. FF needs a different techniques vs FR and AWD are tricky to go fast in....

The AI is GT-like most of the time. There are obviously more cars now in the race(I think easy race is 8, some license test race is 12, and full race is 16), they still run their lines and are almost immovable when you hit them and they spin you out if you traverse into their line. But if you pair your car's level right they can be somewhat challenging.

Track selection is decent, again I wished for more real world tracks but for whats there they aren't bad. All the GT classics are there also(Deep Forest, Trial Mountain, Grand Valley), and their HD makeover isn't bad, and I swear some are slightly altered as the line seems to have changed. The City courses looks great, if not that great to drive on. I really like the "Cape Ring" course, one of the new original track. It flows nice and so far all the layout are fun to drive. Nurburgring is back and looks far more finished than it was in GT4 now that the GP course is there. The track looks very nice in HD, and there also seems to be some update in some section as again, it seems to drive slightly differently(AMG school is great way to learn the track, though probably doesn't do much for me as I've spent my share of time in GT4 already). Matra will probably tell you though that if you use as much curb as you do in real life as one can in game you'll probably crash. I am not huge on Rallying in GT series(ever), so haven't spend much time on them to comment aside from the tests...

Cars, well the whole Premium vs Standard deal is there, and it takes away some fun from driving the Standard car(can't alter the wheels is massively annoying as I don't even want to touch cars like the AE86 as they have the funky 80s wheel on them). They don't look THAT bad, but compare to Premium, they are lacking a lot of the bells and whistles. What's more, is that most of your GT "standard" cars, your RX7s, GTRs...etc have ONE in Premium at least. I don't understand why they can't do it like the PC sim does and just copy them and alter the fine details. I have a feeling they probably coded their game in a corner here and it just makes it hard to change. The Premium cars though look great, the cockpit features working dial and clocks. Though how nice they look "really" I'll reserve judgement until I play it on a proper HD set. On the PC monitor it looks a bit "unsharp" vs some of the GTR2/rFactor stuff....You can take pictures of the Standard cars, just not in "Photo Travel", you can shoot them in replay.

Go Kart is fun, though not having driven one on the type of track in game I can't comment on how they behave(most tracks I've been to are typical Tight N. American urban indoor warehouse type, not wide open outdoor ones). The karts are twitchy and does have that heavily castered feel to them.

B-Spec mode...in GT4 its a way to win cars without doing any work. In here its not that different, except now you have to nanny it. Its not as fun as driving your own car, but I might play it get get more cars and money...

Memorable moments so far: IB-10 test with the Z4 M Coupe passing 12 cars in 2 laps around Deep Forest, passed the Ruf Boxster at the last corner. It was a fun race. Racing the Supercar Festival at Nurburgring GP with a slightly underpowered STI, holding off a faster Zonda for 3 laps.

Annoyance: braking tests, can't get gold of them for the life of me...Missing Gold for some tests repeatably by literally thousands of sec repeatably....Top Gear Events. WTF. DQ ridiculously easy by brushing the AI and they can ram you and spin you out...Though I did win both(Microbus and Elise), after much cursing. The Elise race was interesting on the "Comfort" tire, the car is like driving on ice, I did use TCS in this one. Shadow looks bad in game, they are horribly jagged most of the time.

Quirk: G25 H-gate shifting. Clutch use is mandatory, unlike most PC sim. If you timed it just off, the car won't shift in gear at all. Which leads to some rather hilarious moment in scrambling for gear....

Overall, the game is pretty much exactly what I expected, the good, the bad, all of it. So I am pretty happy with it. Having never played Forza outside of a Best Buy in store setup with a pad I can't compare. I'd love to try it, with a wheel setup.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by RacingManiac; 11-29-2010 at 07:50 AM.
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Curb hopping is mad fun....

Cars I've used in game thus far(aside from the tests and events):
    1st Car: 04 Used Miata
    1st bought Premium: 08 Civic Type R
    05 Cappuccino
    2012(or 2011) Impreza STI Sedan
    Murcielago LP640(CE car, used it for Daytona Supercar race, Subaru lacks top speed).
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Thanks for answering my question- looks good, but I hope they do fix the premium vs. non-premium car issue with an update in the future. I'd love to change the weird 80's wheels for sure.

nice review racingmaniac. all in all, gt, like any game, has its flaws, but i am happy with it on the whole. like your sti racing against the zonda, i've done alot of racing in an evo (2nd hand, got it for about 23,000cr i think), and have managed to smoke cars worth 100 times as much as the evo. i dont think i will ever sell her, she has been very good to me! i am currently doing the gran turismo championship in b spec to get the zonda r. should be a bit of fun to drive. does anyone know how to buy/win the minolta?

Finally got a chance to mess around with GT5 this weekend at a friend's. Near as I can tell GT5 pretty much offers you what previous GT's have. That core experience hasn't changed, and the racing it offers is as solid as it ever has been in the series. This isn't a case of Polyphony Digital revolutionizing the franchise in any major way....though they did add a couple of new features here and there (the carts really are a blast). They've simply polished their original formula to a high sheen. If you loved previous GT's, you'll probably like this one even more. If you had misgivings about GT in the past, GT5 won't do anything to alleviate them.
    "Wise man say: Forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza."

Here's a google doc with all of the prize cars if anyone's interested.

Welcome to Google Docs

This is a fun game for me for multiple reasons....it satisfy my wanting to drive a fast car, and also shoot pics of fast cars.....

Now I need to build a car that can win the GT World Championship, looks like I'll need something in the Super GT car realm...might be hard with the money I have...
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    This is a fun game for me for multiple reasons....it satisfy my wanting to drive a fast car, and also shoot pics of fast cars.....

Now I need to build a car that can win the GT World Championship, looks like I'll need something in the Super GT car realm...might be hard with the money I have...
    Because I pre-ordered GT5, I was sent codes to the 787B Stealth model. It is outrageously quick. I also got a McLaren F1 GT (which I used in the hot-hatch championship! ).

Am seriously enjoying this game, it is very, very good in all honesty. I wish the standard cars were slightly better, but I've just decided to think of the game as a game with 200 cars (plus 800). It is annoying, because the best thing about GT has always been the vast array of choice, but there's still much fun to be had.

It took me a few tries to realise that rallying was being seriously hindered by the ASM - I couldn't get a bronze in one of the special events. As soon as I turned it off, I got gold - just a quick tip for people.

GT5 has been recalled by the developer - he's not happy with the release, so send your copies back to be destroyed ASAP...

"A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

well I am holding on to mine and unplugging my PS3 from internet so they can't disable it...lol
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

I can relate to what you're saying. I loved photography in Gran Turismo 4 because how often would you ever have access to photograph your dream cars? Just that one feature in my opinion is worth it.

And I suppose since you can export photos, you can print too right? Can you make the files go straight to a USB drive?

Yeah, you can export the photo to your XMB in your regular PS3 photo folder, and you can just download them to a thumb drive. The files aren't that big though so I won't be printing them in anything big....

Certain will work as basis for PS though. I've been emailing them through PS3 Browser to myself...I can't figureout how to get the media sharing thing to work backward(PS3 to PC instead of PC to PS3)....
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Something I think GT5 still persists in getting wrong, at least I haven't been able to do this, to physically lock a wheel. I don't know if its just not being replicated in photos or what, but you can't show this:

[ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/patrickmayon/1444298407/"]Tiago Monteiro racing in WTCC | Flickr - Photo Sharing![/ame]

In any GT games, ever....
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

i have completed this one with the veyron in a-spec, but b-spec bob looks like he cant do it, like he hasnt got the stones to drive the veyron hard, he brakes way too early, so thus far this race is not complete in b-spec. i might save some more cash and get that audi lemans jigger, pretty quick, bob should be able to smoke anything in it, and i can do some of the extreme races in it.

if you guys want something fun to do, try that last level of the nascar in the special events. testing is a word. a bit of a graze of another driver, bang, disqualified. a bit of a nudge into the wall, bang, disqualified. its up there on the difficulty scale.

Thread Information