Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ferrari not budging on testing

Ferrari not budging on testing

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=31788

FERRARI STANDING FIRM ON TESTING
    Last Updated: Monday, 20, December, 2004, 11:28

Luca di Montezemolo says it is no other team’s business how much testing Ferrari do.

The Ferrari president is in no mood to back down in the current dispute between the world champions and the rest of the field over testing restrictions.

Montezemolo told Welt am Sonntag: "Imagine, in football, if Juventus or Bayern Munich or Manchester United had to train only in the morning, or only on Wednesdays.

“That would be stupid, manipulation. So, if I want my team to test for five days a week that is my problem."

When reminded how much money F1 teams spend on testing, Montezemolo still refused to budge.

He said: "But it is my money. Even if I throw it out of the window, that's my decision. The topic of cutting costs is important but internal decisions must remain unaffected."

The president believes that the changes in engine regulations are a much fairer way of reducing costs.

He said: "I think an engine for two races is good. It's a technical challenge for everyone and at the same time it costs less because at the end of development you need fewer engines.”
    I am the Stig

Ah .. typical example of Ferrari crying when things dont go their way .. theyre just childish.

Ferrari should just be dropped from the entry list.

The company's reputation rests on its F1 success - it would force them to stop being a complete shower.
    Thanks for all the fish

OK, guys you obviously don't like Ferrari, but what is wrong with Luca's reasoning? If you want to get better at anything you have to study more, practise more or test more. Banning Ferrari is like sending away the guy at school who got the best results because he worked hardest. This is not sport, this is business, which requires a buisinesslike attitude.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

i understand why they do it, but i think its unfair to the smaller teams, cos the smaller teams simply cannot afford to test so often.this would make the advantage of ferrari bigger and bigger... i agree with henk though, why punish the one that is the best cos of hard working/testing ?

We shouldnt punish them .. we should give everyone equal rights. Why punish people because they have less money? Thats why people like Minardi do so bad .. they just cant afford it. F1 isnt about who can get the most money, its about entertainment .. and nobody can see that and thats why F1 is so sh*t nowadays .. because it has strayed away from what its mean for. Personally I would be very happy to see F1 go .. put some real motorsport on which doesnt involve whining little team bosses who act like 3 year olds.

I subscribe to that, I prefer to see the Force F1 cars going around. First it is much cheaper to visit and second you can get real close to the cars.
    But as I said before, F1 is a business, and it started to become a real business when Colin Chapman decided to paint his cars red and gold in stead of green.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

ferrari deserv to be banned from next season to teach them a lesson
    Cedric - I sound like a chipmunk on there. Some friends of mine were like, "were you going through puberty?" I was like, no I was already 20, I just sound like a girl.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    Banning Ferrari is like sending away the guy at school who got the best results because he worked hardest.
    "I studied hardest, therefore the test should be written specifically for me.

As a attempt to reduce the mental stress of revising all students except me decided to limit the ammount of study time allowed.

I disagree with this because I might not get the highest score."

Yes its a business, but it won't be a very good business when Ferrari are the only team left because everyone else goes under financially.

Thanks for all the fish

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    "I studied hardest, therefore the test should be written specifically for me.

Is that a rephrase of the current testing rules? It seems that people simply forget that in most of the eigthies and a large part of the nineties Ferrari was really nowhere untit it decided to get its act together. Now that they have got that, everybody is complaining.

I know they were crap once, and I think a certain red, Philip morris endorsed racing team should remember that too, instead of acting like a bunch of sissy premadonnas, bitching and moaning everytime a decision goes against them.

Wahh, wahh wahh were not getting our way! How can this be? We are FERRARI!!!

When the FIA ruled against BAR using their new "cornering device" at Hockenheim there was barely a murmour. Can you imagine the ammount of whinging that would have gone on if it had been Ferrari - not BAR?
    Thanks for all the fish

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    I know they were crap once, and I think a certain red, Philip morris endorsed racing team should remember that too, instead of acting like a bunch of sissy premadonnas, bitching and moaning everytime a decision goes against them.

Wahh, wahh wahh were not getting our way! How can this be? We are FERRARI!!!

When the FIA ruled against BAR using their new "cornering device" at Hockenheim there was barely a murmour. Can you imagine the ammount of whinging that would have gone on if it had been Ferrari - not BAR?

Is West also owned by Phillip Morris?

Your remark about BAR is pure speculation.

Is West also owned by Phillip Morris?
    West be Deutsch, nicht to do viz ze Amerikans.

Your remark about BAR is pure speculation.
    Yes.

Where does it end though?

Reduced testing may harm Ferrari's chances - but so what? All teams are equal - they are all affected by the change in rules.

Why is it ok for Ferrari to decide that they are so special these things don't apply to them?
    Thanks for all the fish

Ferrari are the best because they test so much. Period. If the other teams poured as much money and commited themselves to winning, things might be different. at the moment the only team willing to invest so heavily is ferrari, to punish them for working harder than everyone else is a stupid idea.

What i do agree with is that the testing should be subsidised. that is, Bernie and the F1 organisation pull together so that Minardi can get a decent amount of testing done so it can at least start. They should give each team a track to test on for 4 weeks or so, so that they can hone their car and make for more interesting racing. If Ferrari increases their track-testing time, remind them that they only look good if they actually beat the other teams, rather than the other teams not being up to scratch.

Ferrari is not at fault because it is so good. The other teams are just not trying hard enough.

To be honest, if they did decide to get rid of Ferrari from the championship, highly unlikely as that is, it just may be beneficial. Ferrari may start it's own 1 make racing series, and F1 will actually be competitive again. on the downside such things as tv viewers, sponsorship, etc will all plummet.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows
    to punish them for working harder than everyone else is a stupid idea.
    So all the other teams like Williams, McLaren, Sauber etc that aren't especially busy doing anything else employ staff to sit around playing Playstation?

You think they aren't working as hard as possible to build successful cars?

I think a huge new factory with private wind tunnel facilities shows a pretty big investment for McLaren at least - I don't really know what the other privateers have been up to.

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows
    F1 will actually be competitive again. on the downside such things as tv viewers, sponsorship, etc will all plummet.
    You mention no bad points there.

Without the corperate circus F1 might actually have to focus on getting some racing done in a season.
    Thanks for all the fish

Thread Information