Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why the Nissan VQ35DE sucks?

Quote Originally Posted by Slicks
    The dealership cant solve this?
    What grade gas are you running?
    There is a lot dealerships cant solve these days. Trust me. I know.

not to sound like I'm the shit but clicking noise sounds like a valve train problem. I had that problem when I overheated my car but it went away shortly after. They probably know that is the problem and they don't want to fix it since it's in warranty and they don't want to foot the bill.
    Real cars are not FWD.
    FWD at it's best -
    http://videos.streetfire.net/video/6FBCAADF-B7CB-432C-B938-01EB06BD83CE.htm

The dealers don't foot the bill, Nissan pays for it.

Whoever. Nissan pays for it and the dealer obiviously loses something since they don't want to fix it. Either money or they get yelled at by Nissan.
    Real cars are not FWD.
    FWD at it's best -
    http://videos.streetfire.net/video/6FBCAADF-B7CB-432C-B938-01EB06BD83CE.htm

Quote Originally Posted by QBridge
    Whoever. Nissan pays for it and the dealer obiviously loses something since they don't want to fix it. Either money or they get yelled at by Nissan.
    No, it's covered by warranty. If it's new and it's making a rattling noise, they can't say no. That's grounds for a lawsuit. Not that you'd ever do that, but they will fix it. It would be ridiculous for you to just "let it be". It's not your problem if they can't solve it, it's theirs - if it's under warranty, don't take no for an answer.

One thing that sucks about these engines is oil consumption. Some consume a quart or more every 1000 miles! Go to the G35Driver forum or the Z forum and read the horror stories. You won't have to look hard. They are stickied right at the top of the list. Some people have had their engine replaced 3 times! Not all of the engines have this problem, but many do, yet Nissan won't own up and do a recall.

Nissan recently opened a new factoy in Japan to cover the shortage in supply of these engines! From what ive heard the lack of a nice noise and refinement are press complaints. Perhaps or recident G35 driver can comment.
    autozine.org

I dont see anything wrong with the VQ engine...and since the sound of one was brought up, here is a video of one doing donuts & burnouts at a Drift Event I went too....Nice sounding car....

The video might not work from the link but just click on it and then when it takes you too the other webpage just Click Download...its Free btw...

zSHARE - 350 burnout donuts.avi
    Oo____oO GT-R

Quote Originally Posted by jediali View Post
    Nissan recently opened a new factoy in Japan to cover the shortage in supply of these engines! From what ive heard the lack of a nice noise and refinement are press complaints. Perhaps or recident G35 driver can comment.
    being an owner of a VQ35DE, I can say that it is both loud and unrefined... and i love it that way. it is not particularly smooth down at low rpms, but with a steady flow of gas to it, it smooths out and increases speed seamlessly. it does have immense power and a flat power band all the way through 8000 rpm.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Quote Originally Posted by lush1 View Post
    One thing that sucks about these engines is oil consumption. Some consume a quart or more every 1000 miles! Go to the G35Driver forum or the Z forum and read the horror stories. You won't have to look hard. They are stickied right at the top of the list. Some people have had their engine replaced 3 times! Not all of the engines have this problem, but many do, yet Nissan won't own up and do a recall.
    Two words - Wankel rotary.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

I don't see why it is considered as a bad engine....in my father's 2003 G35(the original one with 260bhp) its torquey,makes good power, smooth most of the time and so far no real issues. Makes a good enough sound too. Its not that revvy though and it is a gas guzzler, but comes with the territory as being a 3.5 liter. From an engineering point of view it is quite well packaged as witnessed by the wide variety of application its being used in, regardless of the layout....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering View Post
    Two words - Wankel rotary.
    yep.. got one of them too

The VQ35DE is used in almost every Nissan that they sell in America.

From what I know the Quest doesn't sound like G35. So I guess they did tune it down in there.

It sounds awesome. Makes me all fuzzy and happy inside when one roars by.

Melts my heart every time. Although I won't own one now, just because of the fuel consumption.

Maybe a 350Z in the future when I strike it rich.

it's a good engine imo, but i got the feeling it wished it was a V8 or something? or is that just me? eh, maybe FI will fix that
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

I've owned a VQ35DE closing in on 5 years now, in the 350Z platform... first Generation 2003 Touring...

it's been amazing since i first bought it... No Oil Consumption, No Issues with anything regarding the engine, and i dont baby this thing either, been drag racing quite a few times, drifted in the streets, donuts galore... but i've stopped doing that now... tires are expensive...

i have had the tranny replaced... it was making a knocking noice, which i found out to be the clutch... for some reason it just does that... and is normal... but the nissan tech replaced it anyway...

other than that i now have 82K miles on this car and it's still running strong... the factory exhaust was on there for majority of the time... about 10K miles ago i swapped out for the Nismo cat-back... that thing is amazing... talk about one AGGRESSIVE sound... sure it may not sound like a V8 with open headers, but for an import it sounds great, has a kind of american - euro mix sound to it... and i've hears F1 cars before as well, they sound nothing like the VQ35DE.. the VQ is much lower pitched...

and i dont know what the other person is talking about with the roughness in the lower end, i've never experienced this. It to me is smooth all the way from 5-600 to 6800RPM...

there's no jerkyness of the boosted SRT-4s or the false sense of speed of them either...
    there's nothing else i'd rather drive thats in my price range...

welcome to UCP legionnaire.

the oil consumption was most problematic on the early rev-up engines. and it was mostly if you didn't check your oil. my G uses oil pretty quickly, but i dont drive it super often, and when i do i drive it hard.

Thread Information