Thread: REPORT: Audi version of Volkswagen Bluesport in the works

REPORT: Audi version of Volkswagen Bluesport in the works

From Autoblog:

It should come as no surprise that Audi is working on its own version of the Volkswagen Concept Bluesport, and according to Automotive News, the design has already been completed.

In the lead-up to the Bluesport's unveiling, rumors (and simple logic) said that in order for Volkswagen to make the mid-engine roadster financial viable, the platform and all its associated underpinnings would have to be distributed across several models. A senior VW group exec told AN, "To make a strong business case for the new roadster, we need to share the investment with at least three brands." In addition to VW, one of those brands is Audi and the other is almost assuredly Porsche.

While Skoda and Seat's budget-oriented image couldn't include a variant of the roadster – estimated to cost around €30,000 – Porsche might be interested in an entry-level model to slot in below the Boxster and help to reduce the automaker's overall CO2 emissions.

Volkswagen is expected to announce a production decision on the Concept Bluesport in the next two months, and we're hoping that the completed version will bow in Geneva.
    www.myspace.com/kasaky

I was going to say wouldn't it interfere with the TT, but apparently that's in an even higher price bracket.

I'd say, go for it!
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31695
    - Are YOU listed? -

So, another overpriced Volkswagen.

Will they ever learn?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post

Will they ever learn?
    I'd love to see this car being made especially if it were to lose some weight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Press release
    The fact is: if the Concept BlueSport were to go into production it could herald in a renaissance of the compact roadster.
    - Are YOU listed? -

Quote Originally Posted by Pando View Post
    I'd love to see this car being made especially if it were to lose some weight.
    As a Volkswagen? I would too.

As the same package but pricier because it has four rings on the bonnet? No thanks.
    Visca Catalunya!

As a Volkswagen? I would too.

As the same package but pricier because it has four rings on the bonnet? No thanks.
    vvv
    Quote Originally Posted by teatako View Post
    A senior VW group exec told AN, "To make a strong business case for the new roadster, we need to share the investment with at least three brands." In addition to VW, one of those brands is Audi and the other is almost assuredly Porsche.
    I'm not very sure of the idea of a baby-Porsche (although I might change my mind on that) nor am I very concerned about the Audi, personally, I'd prefer a Skoda version. But hey... if making an Audi and Porsche version will make sure it goes to production all together I'm all for it!

And I would still like to see it ~200kg lighter - one can always hope.
    - Are YOU listed? -

I'm not very sure of the idea of a baby-Porsche (although I might change my mind on that) nor am I very concerned about the Audi, personally, I'd prefer a Skoda version. But hey... if making an Audi and Porsche version will make sure it goes to production all together I'm all for it!

And I would still like to see it ~200kg lighter - one can always hope.
    Ah yes but perhaps if they didn't do a Volkswagen version, Audi would be less of a joke...

As for the weight, considering it isn't an Elise sort of car and that it has a diesel, 1180kg isn't bad.
    Visca Catalunya!

As for the weight, considering it isn't an Elise sort of car and that it has a diesel, 1180kg isn't bad.
    I wasn't going to compare it to an Elise, but perhaps an MR2 (which is exactly 200kg lighter) or weightwise to an MX-5? They want good fuel economy and performance, low weight should be a no brainer.

If it loses weight - it'll be interesting, even with a less powerful engine than quoted, better handling, fuel economy etc.

If, on the other hand, it gains weight we could be looking at another Opel GT, only diesel and less powerful - and we don't really want that now do we?
    - Are YOU listed? -

I wasn't going to compare it to an Elise, but perhaps an MR2 (which is exactly 200kg lighter) or weightwise to an MX-5? They want good fuel economy and performance, low weight should be a no brainer.

If it loses weight - it'll be interesting, even with a less powerful engine than quoted, better handling, fuel economy etc.

If, on the other hand, it gains weight we could be looking at another Opel GT, only diesel and less powerful - and we don't really want that now do we?
    No, of course we don't.

But the 2 litre MX-5 soft top weights 1170kg, so this isn't bad. We'll see what they'll do.
    Visca Catalunya!

Where would this fit in the Porsche lineup? I can see it as a modern day 356, but the Boxter kinda has that role filled.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    I hope it gets made and does well purely because its a neat small car and we need more of those. Personally I think it's a little silly to do the three brands they may plan for it, since those brands don't overlap very much. If it looks very similar, people will think it cheapens Audi and Porsche. If the VW one is too spendy it may not sell well in any of the brands.
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

Quote Originally Posted by digitalcraft View Post
    I hope it gets made and does well purely because its a neat small car and we need more of those. Personally I think it's a little silly to do the three brands they may plan for it, since those brands don't overlap very much. If it looks very similar, people will think it cheapens Audi and Porsche. If the VW one is too spendy it may not sell well in any of the brands.
    My thoughts too. Kind of like the golf selling mad but the a3 being real scarce in the states.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

No, of course we don't.

But the 2 litre MX-5 soft top weights 1170kg, so this isn't bad. We'll see what they'll do.
    Huh, I didn't realize the 2-liter was that heavy...
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalcraft View Post
    I personally don't think that differencing the cars would be a problem, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.
    - Are YOU listed? -

Will they ever learn?
    ..no, I think the opposite will happen....

I'm afraid, that this time they will build it and probably it will be successful.. .but if Volkswagen is going to do it, then we will also see an Audi and even a Seat version of it... (..also for Seat it wouldn't be the first time to show a concept like the Bluesport...)

Thread Information