Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jaguar B99 by Bertone 2011

Jaguar B99 by Bertone 2011

A historic brand in cars. A historic signature in design. Put the two together and you get an explosive new concept car called the Jaguar B 99 (B stands for Bertone), which 99 year old Bertone, one of the most ancient design brand in the world, will present in its world premiere at the Geneva Motor Show (March 3-13).

The B 99 projects Jaguar's classic style into the future with refined Bertone elegance, exploring a fascinating new form language with sleek lines and smooth volumes. The result is a compact, four-door sedan (4.5 m long, 1.35 m tall, and 1.95 m wide) that fits perfectly into the D segment. Starting with a classic three-volume architecture, Bertone designers have shaped a taut, muscular body with strong character, entirely constructed with handmade aluminum panels in true Italian "coachbuilder" tradition. The unique personality of the luxury sports sedan is emphasized by the sophisticated minimalism outside and in, with the exclusive use of prestigious materials inside the cockpit such as soft Italian leather, brushed aluminum and high-gloss African wood.

Bertone will present not only the luxury sedan in Geneva but also a full GT2 race version, maintaining the exceptional "double soul" tradition of the Jaguar brand, adding high speed aero appendages and aggressive graphics to the jet set wafting car.

In terms of technological innovation, the B 99 uses a full hybrid long range power system tuned by Bertone Energy (the newest Bertone division dedicated to renewable energy research). Bertone has been studying alternative powertrains for the past twenty years, with many examples including full electric "extreme" concept cars like the 1992 Blitz or 1994 Zer record car, which was the first full electric car to break the 300 km/h speed barrier in the world.

With the 2011 Jaguar B99 concept car, Bertone establishes a new record in its 99 year history as the only Italian designer to have created five different Jaguars. The previous models are the 1957 XK 150, produced in a limited edition of four copies, the 1966 Jaguar FT concept car, the 1967 Jaguar Pirana, and 1977Jaguar Ascot.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Duell; 07-19-2019 at 04:30 PM.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Lower the beltline or the whole car and they might be onto something. For now, it is far too slabsided, but has promise.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Such a massive amount of want it can't even be put into words.
    Visca Catalunya!

I like it....its more Jag looking than the XF....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    Lower the beltline or the whole car and they might be onto something. For now, it is far too slabsided, but has promise.
    I think it looks slab-sided because it looks like it'd be the same size as an XJ. Considering it's only 75% that size, I think it's fantastic.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

I'm with f6f... the past decade, car designers have pushed beltlines up higher than a Century Villager's plaid shuffleboard britches.
    Side-curtain airbags should make it possible to design proportional, airy greenhouses without compromising safety.

I do appreciate the slight creases that define the beltline and XJ6 references, though. The doors too.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    I like it....its more Jag looking than the XF....
    Agreed. It looks like a throwback to the older XJ's (the ones made around 2000, don't remember the exact model years), albeit way modernized.

While I was about to say this should have been the design for the new XJ, the profile of the new XJ, if you look closely, actually bears resemblance to some of the old Daimlers (the side profile, for example), so it's still got just as much heritage as the concept.
    Buy a car for you, not for other people

Is this based off the current Xj underneath?
    Barnum's Law - You’ll never go broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public

The dyslexic version of Cyco

Civil disobedience is still disobedience

let's see what Jaguar will do (if anything) with the GT2 version, their (sort of) own car could hardly be called successful.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

It reminds me a lot of the ford 427 concept from a while back in terms of proportion, window line, minimal detailing, etc.

It's fantastic to view but it's conciously retro, and I don't think thats what Jag is about any more. Gorgeous and if it had been released 3 years ago, who knows.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Just like Aston Martin....no matter where they go with their designs they always end up in the same place....a dead end.

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    It reminds me a lot of the ford 427 concept from a while back in terms of proportion, window line, minimal detailing, etc.

It's fantastic to view but it's conciously retro, and I don't think thats what Jag is about any more. Gorgeous and if it had been released 3 years ago, who knows.
    I don't think it should be considered retro at all. It feels like the classic Jag style put up to date and modernised. Which if you ask me is what they should've done in the first place.

This makes the XF look vulgar and commonplace.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Scuderia View Post
    Just like Aston Martin....no matter where they go with their designs they always end up in the same place....a dead end.
    A little harsh there, eh?
    Buy a car for you, not for other people

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I don't think it should be considered retro at all. It feels like the classic Jag style put up to date and modernised. Which if you ask me is what they should've done in the first place.

Agreed. Had Bertone gone retro, traditional facia and lights front and rear would have been obvious. I don't see anything retro, just crisp modern lines that recall Jaguar's classic '70s XJ sedan/coupe with the door arrangement, particularly if there's no B pillar.
    It's been awhile since a hardtop went without, but the effect is very pleasing to the eye.

Quote Originally Posted by LHamilton_w View Post
    A little harsh there, eh?
    I was gonna say... dead end? How so, Dino?
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post

I respectfully disagree. The XF has a unique modern prescence and truly represents new, modern luxury. By being different to what has gone before. The detailing is well thought out, and the proportions exceptionally modern.

This seems self-referential and while I'll agree the lighting seems to be fairly up to date, the upright pillars, suicide doors and large overhangs scream retro-futurism. The pillarless style is a definite link and while I acknowledge a link does not represent a retro styling cue (See Hoffmeister Kink) I still get an overwhelming sense of familiarity seeing this.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Thread Information