Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Holden & Ford Fail Quality Test, Says New Survey

Surveys such as this one can be taken with a grain of salt.
    There is no distinction between a small fault (ie: a rattle) and a major fault (ie: an engine failure).
    Or even if the problems have already cropped up in overseas markets. Ford and Holden releases their Falcon and Commodore here in Australia first, problems would crop up. Toyota and other makers releases their vehicles in other countries first, problems would be first discovered there, Australia would therefore get the updated versions.

To find out which car has had the least problem and or recalls then you would need to find out the cars history (including those from its home country).

I'd like to see a survey of 6-12 months.. I'd still like to know would a similar build used Toyota Camry or Mitsubishi Magna be in as good nick as my car today if used as my car is or was before i bought it?.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Well prehaps more attention to the used market in a survey what takes 2-4 better prehaps?
    Lifts heavy things and hits hard......also eats as much as 2/3 people and sleeps 10 hours a day!

Quote Originally Posted by SlickHolden View Post
    I'd like to see a survey of 6-12 months.. I'd still like to know would a similar build used Toyota Camry or Mitsubishi Magna be in as good nick as my car today if used as my car is or was before i bought it?.
    With cars as old as your one (lets say 10-15 years old), it comes down more to how well the car was maintained and looked after, rather than the make of car. Pretty much any 10-15 year old car could be either a good or a bad buy - it really comes down to condition. Cars of this age haven't quite reached the cherished classic stage but have gone beyound the first and second owner market with the owners spending less and less on maintenance. These are the cheap, budget cars.
    Of course, while any car from the early 90s could be either great transport or a heap of crap, there are still a few that will stand out (ie: most Japanese cars last quite well, at least mechanically). And there are some to avoid (eg: Peugeots, Renaults, Italian cars - unless your an enthusiast willing to keep them alive).
    However, lets look at the Aussie built cars from the early 90s. There were more Aussie built cars in the early 90s than there are now and include Falcon/Commodore/Magna/Camry/Corolla/Laser/Pintara/Skyline.
    Cost of parts is important in this end of the market. Hence the Falcon/Commodore will look good. As do Toyotas. Also, some cars are reknowned for mechanical longevity. Early 90s Corollas still fetch decent money around the $3-4K mark - and with good reason. Mechanically, they are by all accounts hard to kill. There are quite a early 90s Corollas around with poor condition bodies however, suggesting that their bodies are quite as solid as their mechanicals.
    Likewise Commodores. The mechanicals seem to last quite well, but theres lots of ratty VN/VP/VRs around in very poor body condition. Most VLs seem to have disappeared by now - again mechanically sound, but their bodies don't seem to last that well.
    Perhaps this is where Falcons are best. Mechanically they have a few issues, but a basically sound. However, ex-taxis and high mileage rep cars aside, there seems to be a higher than average number (for the age) early 90s Falcon EB/ED/EFs in really nice condition around.
    The number of early 90s 4-cylinder Magnas I've seen which sound really ratty is increbile. I'd say most of them are on their last legs. The less stressed sixes probably hold up better. The same can be said of early 90s Ford Lasers and Nissan Pintaras.
    Camrys - especially the Widebody ones - seem to hold up as well as Corollas though. Also, Skylines (with the same engine/gearbox as the VL Commodore) seem to last very well.
    So, from what I've seen the early 90s Aussie bult Falcons/Commodores/Corollas/Camrys seem to hold up quite well 15 years later. This does suggest that Aussie built cars are quite capable of lasting into the long term.
    However, if I was buying any car from the early 90s, I have to say, condition is more important than what badge is on the grille.
    Last edited by motorsportnerd; 05-17-2007 at 04:59 AM.
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by motorsportnerd View Post
    With cars as old as your one (lets say 10-15 years old), it comes down more to how well the car was maintained and looked after, rather than the make of car. Pretty much any 10-15 year old car could be either a good or a bad buy - it really comes down to condition. Cars of this age haven't quite reached the cherished classic stage but have gone beyound the first and second owner market with the owners spending less and less on maintenance. These are the cheap, budget cars.
    Of course, while any car from the early 90s could be either great transport or a heap of crap, there are still a few that will stand out (ie: most Japanese cars last quite well, at least mechanically). And there are some to avoid (eg: Peugeots, Renaults, Italian cars - unless your an enthusiast willing to keep them alive).
    However, lets look at the Aussie built cars from the early 90s. There were more Aussie built cars in the early 90s than there are now and include Falcon/Commodore/Magna/Camry/Corolla/Laser/Pintara/Skyline.
    Cost of parts is important in this end of the market. Hence the Falcon/Commodore will look good. As do Toyotas. Also, some cars are reknowned for mechanical longevity. Early 90s Corollas still fetch decent money around the $3-4K mark - and with good reason. Mechanically, they are by all accounts hard to kill. There are quite a early 90s Corollas around with poor condition bodies however, suggesting that their bodies are quite as solid as their mechanicals.
    Likewise Commodores. The mechanicals seem to last quite well, but theres lots of ratty VN/VP/VRs around in very poor body condition. Most VLs seem to have disappeared by now - again mechanically sound, but their bodies don't seem to last that well.
    Perhaps this is where Falcons are best. Mechanically they have a few issues, but a basically sound. However, ex-taxis and high mileage rep cars aside, there seems to be a higher than average number (for the age) early 90s Falcon EB/ED/EFs in really nice condition around.
    The number of early 90s 4-cylinder Magnas I've seen which sound really ratty is increbile. I'd say most of them are on their last legs. The less stressed sixes probably hold up better. The same can be said of early 90s Ford Lasers and Nissan Pintaras.
    Camrys - especially the Widebody ones - seem to hold up as well as Corollas though. Also, Skylines (with the same engine/gearbox as the VL Commodore) seem to last very well.
    So, from what I've seen the early 90s Aussie bult Falcons/Commodores/Corollas/Camrys seem to hold up quite well 15 years later. This does suggest that Aussie built cars are quite capable of lasting into the long term.
    However, if I was buying any car from the early 90s, I have to say, condition is more important than what badge is on the grille.
    As i could have went on for hours telling you how my car was treated pre me.. I could go on for days even..
    For the condition that my car was in when i bought it it's amazing the only failliar it's had is Transmission.
    Paint they did use shit paint on the VN-VP's some that have been shelted slightly over the years come out better, Unfortunately mine has lived outside 3-4 years of a garage would have helped take 8 years off it's rinkles.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Corolla just got off the boat and already recalled!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's all Toyotas fault, not its suppliers.

So far, I have no complaints. It’s running very well. The parts are tough. I make it a point to check every single part so as to avoid any problem in the road. Hopefully, I haven’t had any trouble with it during rush. I got to replace its Ford Mustang fuel pump last week and I’m fortunately enough that it’s only the part that I needed to purchase for it this month.
    Last edited by IBrake4Rainbows; 07-03-2007 at 12:42 AM.

Thread Information