Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tax rise on drinks, Binge drinking

Tax rise on drinks, Binge drinking

It's not a small thing, However i didn't think people would use alcohol as a decider to kill someone..
    However premixed drinks are up etc everyone knows this..
    Also a new thing is 4 drinks in 2 hours i believe it is means your binge drinking..

This is nothing new, The poms do it, The yanks do it..
    4 pints and your a binge drinking in pom land. 3 wines for the lady's and binge drinking.

On another forum the world is coming to an end!.. Rudd has been targeted for death!, He is Judas!.

Comeone is it really that ****en bad?.

Now rudd is toast for this new 4 drinks and your binge drinking, Liberals are going to town over this, But in just a few clicks with my fingers i found this...
    Australian Medical Association released new guidelines defining binge drinking as four standard drinks a night.
    As you can see Rudd said it..

Now it brings me back to something, Is a tax on alcohol or tobacco bad for a government too do?, And should it make your next election decision are people just shallow?.

People and the opposition stated that tax rise on alcopops was for money, However in first weeks of the test it dropped, Whilst others did rise the overall consumption dropped and it wasn't small..

This is it seems to have become the biggest talk on the internet..

Mind you i think there are more pressing issues such as Food prices which are something like 20% above world inflation prices we have the most expensive food in the developed world and it's by 10-20%.

Then fuel prices..

Rent prices..

Mortgages..

Intrest rates..

I'm really disappointed with the liberal party right now.. There biggest come back to us in opposition is too block these taxes, It's not because it's the right thing, It's because it's the popular thing..
    Same with the 5c cut on fuel popular but hopeless.. And then the tax on tax GST removing off the petrol was berated by the liberal party..

Then the soalar panel rebate, They had a great chance to hit the government on something that was a bloody stupid thing to remove considering we want cleaner power, And what do they do?? Get a kid make it look so bloody woody like a horror show...
    That family must be the most used family by our pollys it's shocking.

But back to alcohol I'm shocked a doctor who would tell you too stop smoking and stop drinking is in favour of allowing a measure that so far seems to have reduced alcohol bought that he would be against this?.

I don't drink but is there something else worth moaning about?.. Some well more like 70% of forums take it like you removed there family's from them..

A few quotes..

So, it seems that Mr kRudd has redefined binge drinkers as anyone who drinks more than 4 drinks in a session, so, i go to the pub with a mate for an arvo, im there for 6 hours, chattin bout racing, girls, cars, fishing, blokey stuff in general, i have say 5 drinks, i would barely blow anything on a breatho, i could drive home, and i would be about $15 poorer. But.... I would also be a Binge drinker? What the ****????? How does that work, that is crap, what is it with kRudd, just coz he is a skirt, and obviously cant handle his liquor, shouldnt mean that he makes everyone else feel guilty coz we can, he just wants every one else to drink less so that he dont feel as bad that he cant drink? Well, thats my theory, and i like it, but cmon mate, it seems that the good ol aussie ways are dying, ppl dont say G'day anymore, ppl dont drink beer anymore, too many people are afraid of work, mates dont help mates, a box of cans is no longer considered as curency, this country is becoming a sad place, what yas all think?
    I'll tell you why Krudd is doing this. Now that the term 'Binge drinker' has a new formal definition, in 2 years time when there is a survey, people will be saying "Yeah I have about 4 or 5 drinks with mates on a Friday after work". Those people will then be considered binge drinkers. Therfore the statistics for the number of binge drinkers will sky rocket like never before (even though in reality not much changes).

As a result Krudd will then anounce that there is a "Binge drinking epidemic". That will be used as an excuse to hike up the tax on all alcohol sales to pay for his B.S policies. Also it will, and is, being used as a smoke screen to deflect attention away from their promises to keep a hold on inflation, keep grocery prices in check, keep petrol prices low etc.

I wonder how many standard drinks Krudd had when he was wasted at the New York strip club. OMG! Our PM is also a binge drinker
    KRudd is just a ****ing hypocritical maniac being hell bent on ****ing this country royally.

Apparently my grandmothers and grandfather are binge drinkers, they all enjoy a few sippers of port of an afternoon while watching the football.

Kruddy, keep ****ing this country up its arsehole...soon the retards will realise why it was a bad move to vote you in.
    BY Krudds logic. Im a binge drinker.

When i used to do Manufactoring we used to all have either a f ew beers after work together in the lunch room or the pub down the road or i would stop by the bottle o and pick up a 6 pack and sip on that for the night.

Even now i got a barfridge and thats usually stocked with a few beers, which i have of a evening.

I dont think theres anything wrong with that, i dont feel drunk at all its just a casual drink. However according to Krudd im binge drinking and therefore should be looked down upon.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

the tax is for alcopop drinks that teenagers drink by the bucketload.
    increasing the cost merely pushes them onto the straight stuff
    4 drinks in a night is binge drinking?? some people drink more than that over dinner when they serve wine. well that's only a definition anyway; it's not like they'll limit us to 4 drinks in a bar or anything.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

I was actually in Australia when the government announced they are taxing premixed drinks on the radio, then later elaborated on, in the news. No huge loss anyway it's only premixed drinks...

Wow I know adults that binge drink almost every night if that was the proper definition...
    Miscommunication seems to be a direct result of misplaced, text based sarcasm.

Higher tax on Alcopops and taxing tobacco I'm fine with.. I don't smoke or drink those things anyway, and I don't like the idea of them really. They're just too easy for kids to drink a lot of. Not that this'll stop em drinking too much, like clutch says, they'll just move to mixing their own.. or goon (ugh). The four drinks being binging is a little excessive though, four drinks every night maybe, but four on a friday night seems like statistics boosting. Silly AMA.

Anyway I'm off to the pub for trivia and, apparently, binge drinking.

My niece is especially into the alcopops, And my sisters BF who gets the shits with rudd easy said he liked that idea, More because if he had an alcopop he wouldn't even know he was pissed until it was too late.. They taste like a soft drink..

Now they have flavoured smokes what is next?.. And again my niece is into them because they taste like cherry's!.
    What a ****en joke.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickHolden View Post
    My niece is especially into the alcopops, And my sisters BF who gets the shits with rudd easy said he liked that idea, More because if he had an alcopop he wouldn't even know he was pissed until it was too late.. They taste like a soft drink..
    it might be part of the taxes they're introducing for non-essential items to slow the economy down, like that increase in tax on cars over $60k (i bet they'll conveniently forget to take that tax away later). i can sort of agree with all that.
    of course they claim it's to curb teen drinking this will do nothing.

Now they have flavoured smokes what is next?..
    flavoured tobacco has been around for ages, tried it once in a hookah at some restaraunt
    still tasted like ass to me, so i never want to try normal tobacco
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

4 does seem a bit low, but what is the definition of binge drinking? is it the number of drinks you have?, the effect of the drinks on you? If its the latter, with some people they may be badly intoxicated after 4 (though not many).

The tax on the other hand, i have no objections to. Yes people will go to mixing their own, but its the convenience of the pre-mixed drinks that people buy them for.
    I want to die in my sleep like my Grandma, not screaming like the other 3 people in her car.

There are 10 types of people in this world. People who understand binary and people who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    it might be part of the taxes they're introducing for non-essential items to slow the economy down, like that increase in tax on cars over $60k (i bet they'll conveniently forget to take that tax away later). i can sort of agree with all that.
    of course they claim it's to curb teen drinking this will do nothing.
    It's brute but it will reduce inflation and help intrest rates in these shitty times..

I was pretty shocked at how there first numbers that came back seen a reduction across the board on drinking.. When all were added up i think it was 1million+ drinks down.

flavoured tobacco has been around for ages, tried it once in a hookah at some restaraunt
    still tasted like ass to me, so i never want to try normal tobacco
    You smoked And you tasted arse.

You know there only targeted at kids and they should be banned, They have become bigger now with the girls and they all smoke them.

Quote Originally Posted by acfsambo View Post
    4 does seem a bit low, but what is the definition of binge drinking? is it the number of drinks you have?, the effect of the drinks on you? If its the latter, with some people they may be badly intoxicated after 4 (though not many).

The tax on the other hand, i have no objections to. Yes people will go to mixing their own, but its the convenience of the pre-mixed drinks that people buy them for.
    I think it's 4 in 2 hours of standard size drink for a male.. What is a standard size drink?. 500ml?..

I drink 6 bottles of 350ml water per day.. If someone drinks that in 2 hours of alcohol i can see that as an issue maybe?.
    And some say 4 drinks wont even buzz the breathalyser. Maybe not in one day but in 2 hours i think it could.
    My mother was telling me my father would have a beer every night after work, 1 litre bottle if 500ml is a standard size drink he was under.

What is a standard size drink?. 500ml?...
    It's 285 ml, aka a 'pot' glass in Vicky and a 'middy' in NSW

A can or stubby (or NSW 'schooner' glass) is 375 ml

http://www.iccwa.org.au/Youth%20Alco...rd%20drink.pdf

Slick, I honestly didnt have a clue what you were talking about after reading the part before the first quote Bloody aussies This kind of tax has been around here for ages. Nobody knows life without them really.. Whats all the fuss about ?

The extra price on mixed drinks is just a fake move, so government can keep raking in their tax from alcohol, and look like they're combating binge drinking.
    I work in a supermarket, and the managers often talk about how they have to keep restocking the fridge in the liquor area. Why? People just buy straight and mix it with coke these days. They only get even drunker.

This tax doesn't do anything. Those who want cruisers buy cruisers, those who are cheap get straight and coke :\
    All about the t-tops

Drakkie, it's about the AMA ruling on binge drinking more than the taxes.

I've just come back from trivia and apparent binge drinking, I'm still able to spell anything I can spell properly when totally sober and not stupid enough to think I can drive anywhere and I'd not normally want to drink any more than I have midweek so I'm really not seeing the apparent binging going on here.

I say 'not normally want to drink any more...' because this week I have extenuating circumstances. If you really want to know, you can PM/get in touch with me.

Quote Originally Posted by acfsambo View Post
    4 does seem a bit low, but what is the definition of binge drinking? is it the number of drinks you have?, the effect of the drinks on you?
    I was always told it was simply drinking to get drunk, which makes mandating how many drinks a night makes you a binge drinker laughable.
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho View Post
    I was always told it was simply drinking to get drunk, which makes mandating how many drinks a night makes you a binge drinker laughable.
    Hear hear. Drinking purely for the sake of being drunk is pointless and unhealthy.

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    It's 285 ml, aka a 'pot' glass in Vicky and a 'middy' in NSW

A can or stubby (or NSW 'schooner' glass) is 375 ml

http://www.iccwa.org.au/Youth%20Alco...rd%20drink.pdf
    Thanks mate... Would 4 of them send you over .05 in 2 hours?.
    Quote Originally Posted by drakkie View Post
    Slick, I honestly didnt have a clue what you were talking about after reading the part before the first quote Bloody aussies This kind of tax has been around here for ages. Nobody knows life without them really.. Whats all the fuss about ?
    I didnt get it myself..

We are following your lead in many ways, We look overseas to view how your systems work and take them on board,
    Like the UK 2am bar close, We are trailing this in Victoria right now.
    I don't want to sound old but what is anyone doing out at 2-6am weekdays anyway?.. Family's jobs should be at home sleeping resting quality time with the family and getting to work, more important then pissing up 24/7.

Thread Information