Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Australian car industry bailout

These days, for a Top of the Range Sahara Diesel Landcruiser 200, you could easily push $100,000 with options.

Ridiculous.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

No wonder they introduced the 70 series 5 door wagon
    I am the Stig

They've been available in Developing parts of the world for a while now. But it totally makes sense.

The Landcruiser has gone beyond the reach of the average farmer.

Audi sell their top-swank A8 in 4.2L V8 diesel form here, and the A4, 5 and 6 in 3L 6-cyl diesel.
    BMW & Merc limit their ranges to their top 6-cyl diesel. Jag have the 2.7L Sovereign & XF, and Peugeot with the same engine in the 407 range and 607.
    Plenty of diesel options around at the top end.
    same issues here as Aussie with the diesel quality - much less sulphuric than a few years ago, still much higher than Europe.
    Anyway, if Rudd's plan is successful perhaps one of the Aussei makers should name a car afgter him? Anyone keen on Falcon Rudder?

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    They've been available in Developing parts of the world for a while now. But it totally makes sense.

The Landcruiser has gone beyond the reach of the average farmer.
    it's also massive. i mean the kluger is probably the size of older landcruisers and the rav4 isn't far away.
    spaz was telling me how some farmers use those little truck versions of suzuki carry's fitted with ATV tires. so so awesome.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by Tall_G View Post
    Anyway, if Rudd's plan is successful perhaps one of the Aussei makers should name a car afgter him? Anyone keen on Falcon Rudder?
    it's fitting, the falcon is a bit of boat afterall..
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

...and he could claim he's steering them clear of the rocks?

The Landcruiser has gone beyond the reach of the average farmer.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, now they're the steed of choice for property developers and executives.

More news. This title might say Holden. But i have heard Ford could be in the mix also.

Holden could be Indian takeaway as auto crisis bites
    Holden could be Indian takeaway as auto crisis bites | The Daily Telegraph

By Nick Gardner

November 13, 2008 12:00am

HOLDEN, an Australian icon for 60 years, could be snapped up by Chinese or Indian owners due to the financial crisis, an industry analyst said yesterday.

With Holden's US parent company GM on the brink of bankruptcy, the Australian operation may go the way of Land Rover and Jaguar, the former British companies that were bought out by the Chinese in recent months.

Automotive commentator John Mellor said: "Holden could wind up in the hands of GM's Chinese partner, Shanghai Automotive Company, and Ford Australia's operations could wind up under the ownership of Tata Motors Limited."

GM's directors have publicly said it might not have enough cash to last another nine months.

The other two US car giants, Ford and Chrysler, also are in dire straits and, if they fail to convince the Government they are worth saving, or want to raise some quick funds, their overseas divisions are likely to go up for sale immediately.

"Our car-making facilities are world class," said Mr Mellor. "The Chinese or Indians would love to get their hands on them as part of a partial or total takeover, especially if they felt they were getting (them) at something of a distressed value.

"The Rudd Government's huge boost to funding of car research and new designs for green cars would also be a big attraction and the Asian owners would give far more certainty than the cash-strapped Americans can offer."

The problem is, the Rudd billions on the table for research and development must be matched by company money, but the US situation is so serious that the potential for that investment to take place at Holden and Ford Australia may be rather bleak given the strife they are in.

Some are worried that much of the money being poured into the industry by the Government could end up overseas.

Tim Wilson, a director with the Institute of Public Affairs, said: "There is a real danger that all the Government subsidy money is just going to pay for former GM employees in the US.

"GM has had an ongoing problem for years of an under-funded pension scheme and our money could go to fill the black hole in their pension, in addition to . . . jobs being under threat at home."

Holden employs just over 6000 people but the car industry as a whole employs 65,000. Another 200,000 are employed in firms that rely on the car manufacturers, such as parts suppliers
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Probably the Daily T should check their facts first, the Chinese had nothing to do with Landrover and Jaguar....
    They do mention that Ford might go to Tata....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Of course not - this is your typical tabloid scare mongering of "Aussie jobs and profits being moved offshore to the Asians!!!111!!!!1eleven!!!!"

I don't know mate. If they own both but let them keep up as they have been I'm with it.
    Half of not all things are china made. Shit i just lifted my keyboard made in china, Digital camera made in china, My undies omg.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Exactly - China have become an industrial powerhouse, and the only profitable arm of GM to boot.

I don't think I would have a problem with GM Holden being run by Chinese masters, but of course theres the big componant fear of everything being made in China and exported, costing Australian jobs.

GM getting sent to the liquidators you would think would be straight forward. The only thing they have close to a global brand is Chevrolet, which outside of America are largely ex-Daewoos etc.

Ford on the other hand IS a global brand. If Tata [i[were[/i] to buy Ford Australia if Ford Global went broke, they'd likely have to rebrand. Unless some agreement was made where all of Ford was sold off but for marketing reasons kept the name to appear as a single company stll.
    I am the Stig

Chinese Commodores? Indian Falcons? What a turn up that would be.

Don't Holden currently export the Stateman to China (rebranded Buick or something)?

As far as the potential job losses for component suppliers is concerned, look no further than the US where this is already a reality with the "Big 3", regardless of marque ownership. The Chinese manufacturers simply do it cheaper than USA or Aussie, and will continue to do so as long as their currency is indexed tothe US dollar.

Thread Information