Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I want this!

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.

I want this!

An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

It wouldn't be my first choice if I were to get a Datsun, but I can see why.

I love old Japanese cars!

Parts availability would be a major issue though. I feel as if older European or American cars are more desirable or at least get more attention than old Japanese cars.

Also, I feel that the West coast (of the USA) has a large following of JDM than on the East coast, so in that sense you may be at an advantage there.

My father had an old Mazda RX-3, he often thinks fondly of it and its wooden steering wheel. I'd like to drive one or perhaps own one just for the shits and giggles.

Are you buying it? Good luck if you are.

No, not buying it. Unfortunately I found that the wagons lack the sedans' fully-independent suspension, running a pretty standard solid axle with leaf springs. If you want independent rear, the sedans' setup is not a bolt-in, from what I gather, and you either have to run a custom coil-over setup or do some fab work to get a 240SX rear in there. That in and of itself bothers me not at all, but it does take some of the appeal of owning a 510 away, as the suspension was always one of the "fun bits" that made the 510 a 510. Too bad, as a lot of the powertrain bits and even some of the other suspension parts are modular up into the 80's - 5-speeds and 280ZX struts, for instance, are straight-up bolt-ins. It's hard being a wagon freak sometimes .
    Last edited by jcp123; 01-19-2012 at 07:26 AM.

Shame, they made the wagon with sensible load bearing capabilities in mind.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Yeah, I'm normally the one who prefers a solid axle. Not sure why it bothers me in the 510?

i love me some 510s, but the wagon is not the one you want. the sedan and coupe have the same underpinnings though, so it really doesnt matter which one of those you pick up. also, SR20s fit pretty well in them...
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

wagon would be cool if the suspension was the same.. the coupes are getting more and more popular. wouldn't be putting a dirty SR in them though.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Yeah, I'm just a wagon freak, most of my list of "attainable" cars that I want are wagon/hatchback-type configurations ('58-'60 Chevy 9-passenger wagon, '60 Dodge wagon, Volvo 240 wagon, Mazda 5, Jetta tdi Sportwagen, Rio/Accent 5-door, Mazdaspeed 3, etc.). A 3-row wagon would be better than a 510 though. If I did get a 510, I also would not do an SR...I'd massage what's in there, double carb it, and back it up with a 5-speed.
    Last edited by jcp123; 01-20-2012 at 02:45 PM.

i almost picked up an E30 touring/wagon.. engine had been worked a little to 2.7L, would have been a great buy but someone snapped it up.
    currently looking at wrx wagons - the generation before they went hatchback/uglier.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

jcp, does your budget extend to a Volvo 850R?

Great car, pimento had one
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

Probably, Volvos go cheap here. But for some reason I always liked the looks of the 240, plus they go great with the "California Cruiser" style, hooked up with a B23 turbo, roof rack, a mean drop, etc. 850's, 960's or a 1st gen V70 are next on my Volvo totem pole. I am partial to Volvos (at least the older ones) because they have a nerdy chic style, rear-drive, and are sturdy (obviously the 960 and V70 begin to get marginal on those counts).

I kinda like Audis and BMW's too but there's no way I want to pay the upkeep on them. Again, not that a 960 or V70 will be much/any better, but ya know...

Currently I am watching the HAMB to see if a good old American wagon comes up. Not sure why, I won't have the money to buy anything for about a year!

My 850R was a lovely drive.. my Dad still has it, he's been having trouble bringing himself to sell it. Rather stiffly sprung, so not great if you have a lot of bad roads in your area. The ones sold here were FWD with an LSD, I think you lot may have had AWD? Perhaps as an option.

Yeah, our roads only get paved in election years. It's good ol' boy country out here. The R can't ride any worse than a dropped 240 would though.
    Last edited by jcp123; 01-20-2012 at 07:16 PM.

You'd think so.. but then.. they're really stiff. If you appreciate a taught ride over comfort you won't mind, but you've be wincing a lot if you like wheel alignment and suspension bushing longevity. Test drive before buying, at any rate.

Hmm...yeah I'm more of a comfort guy, but I suppose I can make allowances

Thread Information