Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cars are getting faster...

Cars are getting faster...

Back in the 70s, cars running to 60 in 4 seconds was unheard of. Now, it's a common thing to have. Back in the 60s, cars could never pull more than .9 lateral G. Now it's common in sports cars.

Cars are always evolving/changing/being upgraded to be faster, quicker, and nimbler. But, eventually, cars will get to a point where it's not horsepower that's a limiting factor, but rather the driver. Had there been zero restrictions in a racing league, cars would be much beyond their human counterparts. But, relying on the theory that cars will always be getting faster, humans must also become more 'tolerant' of Gs being thrown onto them to keep up with the ever-faster cars.

But, it gets to a point where the human body just can't take anymore. You or I could not take a corner at full automobile potential, seeing as how it would force 7 Gs onto you. You would literally die doing so.

The only way to make cars faster and faster withou these limitations would be to make them driverless, or video game style. But then you lose a certain factor to racing that makes it so appealing.

Like it or not, this is going to happen sooner or later. So what can we do to keep up with cars that have so much more tolerance/potential than us?
    -----------
    A good reading that gave me this idea;
    http://www.popsci.com/popsci/futurec...cbccdrcrd.html
    Sometimes the best view of heaven is from hell.

Hmm...oohh....Wow!! These are delectible! Good news, Flappy! I'm not going to kill you!

you are NEVER going to pull Gs in a car steered using rubber contact patch on road

As Scottie woudl say "ye cannae break the laws of physics, Cap'n"
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

F1 car can do transient cornering and maximum braking at 5G. Road cars are pretty far away from that....

Even in the 60s though, human are still the limit in performance since only the few can extract all the car has to offer, and thats still true today...

aerodynamics are other kind of things....

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    you are NEVER going to pull Gs in a car steered using rubber contact patch on road

As Scottie woudl say "ye cannae break the laws of physics, Cap'n"
    If you have the time, check out the link I posted. They theorize about how they would use a suction cup style thing going in place of downforce. That way, they could use gel-filled tires and get 15,000 pounds of force on the wheels. That way, you pull insane Gs.

And like I said, provided on the belief that cars will always be getting faster, humans will be the limiting factor, unlike cars nowadays.
    Sometimes the best view of heaven is from hell.

Hmm...oohh....Wow!! These are delectible! Good news, Flappy! I'm not going to kill you!

crowding will start to limit this. face it, the world is gettin toooo crowded

Quote Originally Posted by Godlaus
    If you have the time, check out the link I posted. They theorize about how they would use a suction cup style thing going in place of downforce. That way, they could use gel-filled tires and get 15,000 pounds of force on the wheels. That way, you pull insane Gs.

And like I said, provided on the belief that cars will always be getting faster, humans will be the limiting factor, unlike cars nowadays.
    I agree with Matra, specially for street cars. While they will get faster and nimbler, you'll reach those kinds of speeds and Gs on the street. Some street cars are already fast enough to get you into a whole lot of trouble (with the law) very quickly.
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

I think cars are getting to fast for the average driver.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlaus

They'd have to make roads out of something else... racetracks have to be resurfaced all the time becuase just the few cars with high downforce tear it apart.

instead of sterring wheels with all their useless buttons and paddle shifters we get a cool touchpad like james bond's BMW 7
    Don't bother me, I'm probably working while posting...

UCP's biggest...oh man...i got nothin'

Quote Originally Posted by coolieman1220
    crowding will start to limit this. face it, the world is gettin toooo crowded
    Thats why we have things like flu pandemics once in a while to get rid of a couple million at a time.
    2011 Honda Civic Si

ATHEIST and damn proud of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindesh17
    Thats why we have things like flu pandemics once in a while to get rid of a couple million at a time.
    Oh yeah there's far too many people on the planet...the thing is no-one's exactly gonna turn around and say "We need to kill people and this is the system we're going to use to select who."...although there are too many people on the planet, unless someone starts World War 3 or some huge natural disaster happens, we're gonna have to get used to it because thhe peoblem's getting worse by the second.
    "This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

I think that instead of going faster and faster at any cost, the focus should instead be on racing that evolves economy to the next level. Don't set any limitations on number of cylinders or capacity only that the race needs to be completed with a specific amount of fuel. For safety and some sort of competitive order the chassis should be similar; otherwise some might bring a fuel-cell powered unicycles!!

I think we'll see some interesting innovations to produce economical power!!
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

Quote Originally Posted by Clivey
    Oh yeah there's far too many people on the planet...the thing is no-one's exactly gonna turn around and say "We need to kill people and this is the system we're going to use to select who."...although there are too many people on the planet, unless someone starts World War 3 or some huge natural disaster happens, we're gonna have to get used to it because thhe peoblem's getting worse by the second.
    So your saying we need another hitler?
    You can call me scott.

Quote Originally Posted by scottie300z
    So your saying we need another hitler?
    No, of course I'm not saying that...but what I am saying is because no-one's saying that we're all gonna have to shut up and get used to the problem of the planet being overcrowded.
    "This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

Thread Information