Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gran Turismo 5 Racing Cockpit

@delyard: Yea I wans't suggesting your decision shuodl change. You are well on the way. It was for iwmakemh who is jsut starting out.

I played the head movement on a a PC rig - been here for years - and found it interesting but not as good as peripheral vision. TrackIR :: head tracking view control immersion for flight racing and action simulator :: TrackIR :: Premium head tracking for gaming WHat I had wanted to try was head movemente sensor WITH multi display. At <£100 per screen setting up 5 to give 270 could be awesome I found moving the head and not the eyes just unatural and just not realistic in heavy traffic, lacking peripheral view.

I feel sorry for the kid not being able to adjust for others. Guess it's oe way to make sure the wife doesn't get comfrotable to beat your times

by "nerdy" do you mean like a real race car where setup and handling reflect the complexity of the real world ? Different backgrounds as I consider the induced drifting of console sims to be equally "nerdy". Sadly latest PC releases are buidling up that aspect of "gameplay", but at least the best are still got "realistic".
    "Horses for courses"
    What you planning to do as paint job and stckers ? Coudl look neat

This is peaking my interest at the moment ....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch#v=QgVkYuOYVAg
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 03-01-2010 at 11:09 AM.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Where drug dealers and asian stores are born, California
    I'm not going to go so extreme as to have multi monitor set-ups, I can't exactly afford buying more than one screen and I could use the desk space for my homework lol

As for the pc gaming thing, I do play pc games, but I don't really want to kill my computer, I have reason to believe that something fried up during a power surge one day. I don't even know if my computer can run a driving sim as complex as GRID for example. As for my budget, a PS3 will be a lot cheaper than upgrading my video card and ram.
    Last edited by iwmakemh; 03-03-2010 at 02:34 PM.
    “Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... that’s what gets you.”
    -Jeremy Clarkson

I have played lots of PC driving games, right from the mid 90's to this year, I have a modified Nvidia 9600 GT and quad phenom system which runs stuff like Grid better than the PS3 can, I just like the slick feel of a console, just switch it on and start gaming, no settings or drivers or install directories. Its not that I struggle with PC's, before training as a joiner I worked as a IT engineer for years. Perhaps thats why I like consoles now, too much of PC's at work, cant be bothered to play on em when I get home!!

I do think though that for a realistic feel - Gran Turismo is hard to beat, if you set your car up right that is.

My paint job for the rig is gonna be nice and simple - High gloss black inside and out with red carpet for the floor and around the pedals, gonna use some cable trunking inside for all the wires, my electrician mate can get lots of the red stuff used for fitting fire alarms, so this will sit just above the red carpet.

Quote Originally Posted by delyard View Post
    I have played lots of PC driving games, right from the mid 90's to this year, I have a modified Nvidia 9600 GT and quad phenom system which runs stuff like Grid better than the PS3 can, I just like the slick feel of a console, just switch it on and start gaming, no settings or drivers or install directories. Its not that I struggle with PC's, before training as a joiner I worked as a IT engineer for years. Perhaps thats why I like consoles now, too much of PC's at work, cant be bothered to play on em when I get home!!

I do think though that for a realistic feel - Gran Turismo is hard to beat, if you set your car up right that is.

My paint job for the rig is gonna be nice and simple - High gloss black inside and out with red carpet for the floor and around the pedals, gonna use some cable trunking inside for all the wires, my electrician mate can get lots of the red stuff used for fitting fire alarms, so this will sit just above the red carpet.
    I just can't really afford to keep on upgrading my pc so that it will keep up with these new releases, as for my budget a console fits right in since all the games are made specifically to run on it so it will run perfectly XD
    Oh well, I'm going to look for a used g25 maybe a month for now i'm not sure, depends how much money I choose to save. Gran Turismo is a really good game, I wish they had more options on customizing. I want to be able to have a unique car XD
    “Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... that’s what gets you.”
    -Jeremy Clarkson

Definately can't get away from the price point with consoles and the "no hassle" run.

BUT, once setup, I've never had to modify a PC configuration unless I was adding or upgrading. So not relaly a point to compalin about as you CANT do that with consoles, so stick with a 2005 graphics card in a PC and youv'e the same performance as a PS3/Xbox. Want better then move up to a DX10 capable card.
    WHat is the plans on consoles for 3D suport ? THeir specs dont' suggest that they can do full res switching frames ? 200fps ??
    But again a digression.

Myself and friends who I race with may be differnet ni we are racers first and gamers second so "realism" and car feel need to be close to realistic and not necessailry "slick".
    I can definately do faster lap times in GT than I can on the same track in GTR. BUT lap times in rFactor on Nordschleife, KNockhill, Brands Hatch, BurburgringGP and Oulton Park are closer to my real world times than the hyperspeed times I can achieve on consoles with all the "real sim" settings on. Mayeb GT5 will improve as it has over the years on each cycle.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Sony say the PS4 will be 3D

^^^ they also talked about the PS3 in 2004, "showed it working" in 2005, launched it in 2006 and actually got deliveries in Europe in 2007. So how long this time ?

Did you panic on the 28th ? Nephew called me ( I'm the family tech support ) and my FIRST response was to tell him to wait, that it'll be a leap year cock up and either will pass or it's hosed for ever !! ( Subsequently pissed myself laughing that all the Sony-fans have to swallow that the screw up is in a chip shared with the Zune that had been screwed couple of years back by it )
    After 40 years I've seen every product imagined feck up the rules and treatment of leap years and personally Sony should have just said right away and told everyone to wait a day. Nephew was bricking it over every rumour going around the gaming community on the day. I blame him for wanting to be an "early adopter" ( oh and for him the sun was BORN out of Sony's erse )

Got any reliable links for the 3D news ? I'm intrigued to how they expect it to readily migrate as one of the "issues" with the PS3 architecture has been the learning curve and adaption by developers to use it's processing architecture. Might find it screws the route to 3D for some DirectX "clunkiness" comes from the "object" focus on the processing/manipulation which makes 3D a near non-event for a developer..

EDIT: Aha, found an IGN update on PS3 3D plans to launch with a firmware upgrade soon. Sounds not as bad for some then. Will still wonder about those who've adapted Sony's architecture to maximise game performance though. Pissed myself laughing at a clear Sony-fanboy claiming 3D needed to run a game TWICE (once for each eye one presumes ) and only the PS3 is powerful enough ROFL. It only need to run 2 VIEWS of the 3d object world. Something which even GPL could do ( I used to run it with 3 views over 5 years ago ) . GAWD, there are some idiots on this planet
    HOWEVER< the one positive spin on it was they see Sony will use the Playstation as their way to win the format wars on 3D TV and Blu-Ray just as they used the PS3 to win the DVD/BD one. Interesting as at the moment the Panasonic technology and quality for 3D is the clear winner. Sony learnt from BetaMax, "best" isn't what counts, only coming out on top. So I do see it strengthening Sony's grip on consoles.
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 03-03-2010 at 04:08 AM.

Maybe we'll see it in Gran Turismo 6 in 2167.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Maybe we'll see it in Gran Turismo 6 in 2167.
    I don't think I'm going to live that long XP
    What if we do though? O.o
    -Jeremy Clarkson

Sony say the PS4 will be 3D
    3D? what do you mean? I thought games have been 3D for the last three generations of systems haha
    -Jeremy Clarkson

we mean 3D as in 3D Films at the cinema, the games you play will look like they are coming out of the screen. 3D TV is coming soon too

Anyway work on the cockpit is slow at the moment, got other jobs on like boring shelfs and fireplace surounds, all I have done in the past 2 weeks on it is cut and routed a little strip of wood for the front - WOW! its not even worth posting a pic of that.

Will post some more pics when progress looks good

we mean 3D as in 3D Films at the cinema, the games you play will look like they are coming out of the screen. 3D TV is coming soon too
    Oh I see what you mean, I'm not really a big fan of 3d. I wear glasses so wearing 3d glasses is a hassle.

Anyway work on the cockpit is slow at the moment, got other jobs on like boring shelfs and fireplace surounds, all I have done in the past 2 weeks on it is cut and routed a little strip of wood for the front - WOW! its not even worth posting a pic of that.

Will post some more pics when progress looks good
    You shouldn't worry about it, its still making progress its not exactly an easy job in the first place.
    -Jeremy Clarkson

^^^ AM also a glasses weasrer ( for the last 38 years ) and the Panasonic shutter glasses are fine. THe demo on the Panasonics of the oepnign of the Beijing Olympics blows your mind in 3D

Check this link guys

3D TV without glasses will be here one day!

3D for everyone

Give Me 3D TV, Without The Glasses : 3D Monitors, No Glasses Required

Thread Information