Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Live 8 - Do your bit for charity

Live 8 - Do your bit for charity

Behold! The Live 8 pork scratching!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...e=STRK:MESE:IT

Do your bit, change the world, make life better, help Africa and shut Bob bloody Geldof up!

MAKEPOVERTYHISTORYTHROUGHPORK

The world doesn't change with concerts. If you give to an unemployed person 20 dollars he will certainly appreciate it, but his problems will still exist. The solution for him is to get a proper life (job etc)
    So the solution to the poverty in Africa is not a concert.
    It's good though that some people are trying, but it seems to me that the artists get all the exposure and Africa gets a bread crumb

White guys for Africa!

I remember what a huge deal the first Live Aid concert was and it's a shame to see it's legacy wrecked by stuff like this. I guess I'm just not the idealist I used to be. Besides the music from the Concert for Bangladesh and the Moscow Music Peace Festival was much better.

Quote Originally Posted by lightweight
    The world doesn't change with concerts. If you give to an unemployed person 20 dollars he will certainly appreciate it, but his problems will still exist. The solution for him is to get a proper life (job etc)
    It's good though that some people are trying, but it seems to me that the artists get all the exposure and Africa gets a bread crumb
    What ?

Do you think the idea of the concert is to make a little bit of meny to send to Africa ???

it's NOT

It's about getting PUBLICITY to get people to cahnge their attitudes about Africa.

For every $1 in aid sent to Africa, African nations face $2 in trade barriers

LiveAid and now Live8 are all about getting young people to pressurise politicians who's snout is too deep in the money trough to do the right thing.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

they stop putting out concerts and try get the people in africa jobs, maybe they should bring slavery back....... now its time to flame me.

Quote Originally Posted by ZemoButts
    they stop putting out concerts and try get the people in africa jobs, maybe they should bring slavery back....... now its time to flame me.
    Or possibly just ban you. See you in a month.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    LiveAid and now Live8 are all about getting young people to pressurise politicians who's snout is too deep in the money trough to do the right thing.
    I see. I thought it was a mere fundraiser. My bad.
    In any case I think it's just a very romantic thought. I praise everyone who tries on this direction, but I think that the problem lies also with the people there. I have talked to post-graduate students from Africa and tell me that the only set-back is the African people themselves. Local people in poor regions care about stealing and killing for a mere dollar (not exaggerating).

Now someone would say that, how can a poor man support himself without stealing. Good point. That's why I say the reason for the condition of Africa is partly the "colonial" way it is dealt with and the local people not changing it.

Africa is the paradox of modern economix theory. It has the biggest natural wealth. It should have grown rapidly back in the 15th and 16th century when economy was based on trading. But the local tribes were too busy killing themselves.

In hindsight not too smart of them...

PS sorry for the big post

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Nog
    thank god
    Audi humbles Porsche. A new dawn starts today.

Being nice since 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by lightweight
    My dad was saying this exact thing this morning. He said whats the point of giving them money if they don't want to work for anything. Its just the way they are.
    2011 Honda Civic Si

ATHEIST and damn proud of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindesh17
    My dad was saying this exact thing this morning. He said whats the point of giving them money if they don't want to work for anything. Its just the way they are.
    Poverty levels and unemployment rates are pretty high in African countries... But a Bum in the US, Canada or any developed country is pretty stupid considering all the job opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindesh17
    its just the way they are?! they have no opportunites!
    unemployment, famine and disease arent by choice!

that said, i dont think releiving the debt of these governments is going to solve anything.

as was said by lightweigt, africa is very rich in some natural resources such as diamonds and oil but its all controlled by corupt governments and rich western corperations are takeing advantage of that. who do you think get most of the money when a million dollar diamond is sold in LA, the poor black miner working in unsafe conditions or the guy who owns the jewlery store? whos working harder?

It's about time somebody banned that guy.
    "Someone's sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago." -Warren Buffett

Well the endless story in Africa is that a young local warlord kills the previous one and takes over. Then he and his bandits pillage and do WTF they like.
    Then guess what? The next local warlord takes over using the same methods
    Neverending story. I agree that the way the superpowers (US GB etc) treat them is not the best possible. But even if the debts are erased, within a few years new debts will occur, I assure you.

The way out for all poor nations is by self sustained economic growth.

At least somebody around here knows what he's doing...
    "The best thing about this is that you know that it has to come from a country where drugs is legal"

Top Gear on the Vandenbrink Carver One

Well I loved the concert, didn't watch it all but what I did see (quite a bit) was fantastic.

Thread Information