Thread: Bmw Z4 GT3

Bmw Z4 GT3

BMW Z4 GT3

As part of its customer racing programme, BMW Motorsport is offering private teams another attractive car from 2010: the BMW Z4 GT3. This sports car is an impressive addition to the BMW product range and offers drivers and teams the opportunity to compete in international and national championships in accordance with GT3 regulations – such as the FIA GT3 European Championship, International GT Open and the ADAC GT Masters – as well as in 24-hour endurance races.

The BMW Z4 GT3 is powered by a four-litre, eight-cylinder engine producing approximately 480 bhp. When it comes to electronics, the private teams can look forward to innovative BMW solutions, which have proven themselves in the BMW M3 GT2: the engine is controlled by the modern ECU 408, while the Power400 control unit is responsible for operating all actuators. The transmission takes place via a sequential, six-speed gearbox. The scope of delivery also includes rims with locking and safety clips, as well as racing ABS and optional air conditioning.

The BMW Z4 GT3 in its racing version is available from the second quarter of 2010 at an estimated price of 298,000 Euro (plus VAT).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by carreragt10; 02-27-2010 at 08:19 AM.
    Sorry if I cannot express myself correctly, but I don't know English as good as I want, so my answers will probably be the same in many cases.

Interesting that it uses an M3 sourced V8 instead of an inline 6.
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

IIRC the GT-R GT1 also uses a V8. I think the new regulations state that the engine has to be produced by the manufacturer but not necessarily installed in the particular model they are homologating.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    IIRC the GT-R GT1 also uses a V8. I think the new regulations state that the engine has to be produced by the manufacturer but not necessarily installed in the particular model they are homologating.
    The reason why the GTR is using a V8, is because the use of turbos/superchargers is not allowed in the GT1 class, or for that matter in any of the GT classes. Does the Z4 have the twin turbo I6?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    The reason why the GTR is using a V8, is because the use of turbos/superchargers is not allowed in the GT1 class, or for that matter in any of the GT classes. Does the Z4 have the twin turbo I6?
    Yes, altough it also has normally aspirated sixes.

In other cases though they still use the engine the car with the turbos or superchargers removed. This is the case of the Ford GT and the ill-fated Koenig segg CCGT, if I'm not mistaken.
    Visca Catalunya!

There's probably no hope that the next M version of the Z4 will get the M3s V8?
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

I know it won't but if the next Z4 had a V8 option I would be very interested in driving it. That much power in a car that light, it would be impressive.

It's not that light anymore. And the old Z4M was brilliant in its own right. No need for a V8.
    Visca Catalunya!

The reason i think they use the V8, is so they don't have too develop the I6 engine to Motorsport.
    The V8 is already developed for the M3 GT2, and only has to be limited some.

Quote Originally Posted by Brix View Post
    The reason i think they use the V8, is so they don't have too develop the I6 engine to Motorsport.
    The V8 is already developed for the M3 GT2, and only has to be limited some.
    Plus according to BMW the V8 is lighter than the I6 when you start trying to achieve that kind of power.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Z4 Gt3 #2
    Visca Catalunya!

Z4 Gt3 #3
    Visca Catalunya!

BMW's customer racing programme #4
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post
    Plus according to BMW the V8 is lighter than the I6 when you start trying to achieve that kind of power.
    Also, the M3's V8 is already set up for racing. Why develope a new engine if you already have a proven one?
    They could have fitted the M5's V10, though. We all know that it fits in.
    FIXIE EVOLVED INTO SMALL MOTORBIKE! Now driving a Simson KR51 <3

Dream ride: red 1971 Opel Commodore GS/E

Thread Information