Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grand Prix GTP vs. Eclipse GS-T

Grand Prix GTP vs. Eclipse GS-T

Well I wanted to know which car would be easier to mod and which one would probably be better to fix up in the long run for more hp. Either the 97-02 Grand Prix GTP (maybe SuperCharged) or the 98-99 GS-T

The GTP with the 3.8 Superchager would be a very good car to have. Look up some Grand Prix clubs in your area, (yes, they exist. I am a former member of the Grand Prix Club of Richmond, Virginia). The club I was in had cars that were pretty consistant in the Under 12 Sec. brackets in street legal GTPs with light modifications. Like I always say, look up some clubs for each car and make sure they do the types of racing you are looking to get into.

i'd take a GS-T........or a GSX. tho the GTP has a supercharged V6, the eclipse looks a lot better, and also has quite a lot of aftermarket parts for it. seen ppl pushin 400fwhp daily driven(dont know their times though), but then again, am more eclipse baised than the grand prix.
    specially the 98-99, those are better(unless you get an automatic....those trannies kinda sux).
    a bad thing is that mitsubishi didn't use quality parts on their cars(have they ever used good quality?) and so they're not as reliable as some other cars.
    1993 nissan 240sx hatchback(stock) <<drifter, straight liner, road courser

"Horsepower is the force that determines how fast you hit the wall. Torque is the force that determines how far you take the wall with you after you hit it."

"Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races" - Carroll Shelby

"Real cars don't make power at the front wheels....they lift them."

If i were you i would get the Eclipse GSX because of AWD. FWD is no fun...

Quote Originally Posted by Slicks
    If i were you i would get the Eclipse GSX because of AWD. FWD is no fun...
    Depends what he wants to do with it. race it in a straight line or around a track or both?
    The Datto will rage again...

I have loads of fun in my '96 200SX.

Why not get an 04 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP, it looks ten times more sporty than the 03. They've upgraded the 3800 to a series 3. I used to drive an Olds intrigue and it had a 3800 V6, real smooth and quick to respond.

the gtp and eclipse would be both Automatic, but i would race it on both, road and track

Quote Originally Posted by shr0olvl
    the gtp and eclipse would be both Automatic, but i would race it on both, road and track
    Good luck racing the autos on the track... Take a sharp turn, let go of the gas and the tranny is going to shift up, then have to shoft back down when you get back on it. And i still wouldnt race a FWD car on a track or a dragstrip.
    If you truly insist on getting a FWD car, then get the GTP, it has 4 doors and will be cheaper on insurance because of that. But if you truly want a quick/fast car you should really aim for RWD or AWD. For the same price of the GTP you could easily pick up a newer Z28 or Trans AM, or Mustang GT. And with the right driver, right out of the box the Z28 and T/A can do low 13s in the 1/4.

Yeah, but think about the insurance he would be paying for a Trans Am/Camaro or Mustang. ESH, I tried and they quoted me at just over $300 a month for the V-6 Mustang. The new Comp-Gs have a trick kind of shifter, push button on the steering wheel. I suppose it works like as if you are shifting it into low one and two, then overdrive, but I don't know how it works exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by DodgeNitroBIRM
    Yeah, but think about the insurance he would be paying for a Trans Am/Camaro or Mustang. ESH, I tried and they quoted me at just over $300 a month for the V-6 Mustang. The new Comp-Gs have a trick kind of shifter, push button on the steering wheel. I suppose it works like as if you are shifting it into low one and two, then overdrive, but I don't know how it works exactly.
    True, but the more you mod your car the more insurance will rise. And right out of the box the F-bodies and stang GT are great perfomance machines. (BTW the f-bodies have steering wheel mounted controls too)
    Damn $300 for a V6? My friend was paying about $210 on a Z28 fully covered.

GS-T owns the GTP straight owns it.
    Go to my site to see my car leave a message in the guest book plz.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/669847/1

http://supra19865.proboards34.com/index.cgi

Quote Originally Posted by MnDriver
    GS-T owns the GTP straight owns it.
    Care to give any proof on that?

The only thing they really push on insurance is electronics additions, at least mine does. They state nothing about engine, drivetrain, or suspension modifications. They don't even ask about them, just make, model, and trim.

Quote Originally Posted by Slicks
    Good luck racing the autos on the track... Take a sharp turn, let go of the gas and the tranny is going to shift up, then have to shoft back down when you get back on it. And i still wouldnt race a FWD car on a track or a dragstrip.
    If you truly insist on getting a FWD car, then get the GTP, it has 4 doors and will be cheaper on insurance because of that. But if you truly want a quick/fast car you should really aim for RWD or AWD. For the same price of the GTP you could easily pick up a newer Z28 or Trans AM, or Mustang GT. And with the right driver, right out of the box the Z28 and T/A can do low 13s in the 1/4.
    What about a WRX or Evo Lancer if you also want to go around corners and the build quality would 100% better

Thread Information