Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Honda Fit Fuel Economy :'(

Honda Fit Fuel Economy :'(

Have about 800kms on the car and so far the fuel economy is nowhere near the rated figure. Got 11.25 km/L on the first 270km, the 2nd 100km was the worse 7.69 km/L and just made a 400km trip with it getting around 14km/L.
    It's rated at 12.8km/L city and 17.9km/L highway.

Hopefully it gets a bit better once i pass the 1000km mark ...

Any other fit owners experience nething like this ??

Mine's the LX model btw. American equivilant would be base model equipped with A/C, and power window/locks.

EPA (and whatever their Canadian equivalent) ratings are rarely accurate to real world situations.

But yes, typically engines get better economy after a few thousand miles. Give it some time.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

what RPM are you switching at? Are you blasting the A/C?

When you had your Corolla (another car known for extremely good milage) you also posted threads about getting fuel economy far worse than the rated number.

So basically, if you want to acheive very low numbers like the ratings, change the way you drive. Either that or somehow randomly two notedly reliable and economical cars just happen to be gas hogs when you own them
    Last edited by Egg Nog; 08-20-2006 at 01:48 PM.

EPA ratings are stupid. I read an article in C&D about how they acheive those numbers, they do 45mph for the highway mpg, accelerating to that unrealistic figure in an unrealistic amount of time (30secs or something) and like 15mph for city MPG rating...so if you thought that's what you were going to get...you're sorely mistaken
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

My Civic gets almost the same mpg as its EPA rating when shifting at low rpms.

Quote Originally Posted by Slicks
    what RPM are you switching at? Are you blasting the A/C?
    moderate use of A/C

funny cuz the first 270 km's i used a/c pretty liberally and decided to back off a bit next time ... but the 100kms after that were even worse without a/c on ... and i was driving like i stole it for the first 270kms as well, backing off on the 100km trip afterwards ...

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Nog
    When you had your Corolla (another car known for extremely good milage) you also posted threads about getting fuel economy far worse than the rated number.

So basically, if you want to acheive very low numbers like the ratings, change the way you drive. Either that or somehow randomly two notedly reliable and economical cars just happen to be gas hogs when you own them
    i figured out what was happening in the corolla, it's cuz i was measuring mileage for extremely short trips <2km, and it was during winter which is bad for fuel economy as well

when i took it into london earlier this year i got an amazing 5L/100km

the same trip with the fit used about 1/3rd of the tank (41 litres) which translates to about 6-7L/100km

as for the way i drive, i'm still not quite sure as to how you should drive to get best fuel efficiency

the most common theory is drive like there's an egg under the throttle but ive heard that hard acceleration with early shift points up to cruising speed is best since it removes the throttle plate obstruction during accelleration, effectively wasting less energy due to pumping loss

as i dont have a manual i cant really determine shift points on my own, was wondering if anyone has had some real life experience with these 2 methods and what the results were

they can be wrong because my G35 just got 25 MPG, 310 Miles, 12.9 Gallons of gas. it was driven hard too. all highway, A/C on at times, window down at times. Some over taking where the car would hit 6,000 RPM, doing 70-85 MPH, 2500-3000 RPM in fifth gear. thats really good mileage. for a 3.5 V6 that was driven hard.
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

shit. i actually told my friend's mother to buy one instead of a prius.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering
    shit. i actually told my friend's mother to buy one instead of a prius.
    I would too.

The EPA fuel mileages are barely ever accurate. it's off by at least 40% because of outdated standards. The Fit's a good car and few cars can beat its mileage, besides diesels or hybrids. Like other members said, break it in and its mileage will probably increase. Remember to jettison all uneeded cargo, keep tires properly inflated, and no open air cruising at top speeds.

Are the EPA figures based on the CVT? Given they're usually set up around fuel saving and it seems you have a manual, that could make a difference also.

Is your Fit manual or auto? If it is manual, stop revving the engine so high, it is auto, how fast do you drive anyway? And stop blasting your A/C...

Thread Information