Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ford considers axing V8 Falcon

Quote Originally Posted by motorsportnerd View Post
    This is probably a question better dealt with in another thread, but what would you propose replacing V8 Supercar with? And would the catagory be open to all manufacturers or just Ford & Holden?

I think there has been declining interest in V8 Supercar in recent seasons, partly due to the closed shop nature of the series (only Ford & Holden), the lack of passing, and the dominence by a couple of teams.
    Return of the classes my friend modified production ala group A (group C was fast but asked for too many stock parts making the cars unreliable and sometimes dangerous exciting stuff but not for the now) We need varity and we need a genuine competition and "some" similarity (not just a passing glance similarity) between what we can buy and what they race.

We wil see AWD and smaller cars perform well at winton and well see the more powerful cars motor along at phillip island and well see the reliable and consitantly fast suceed at bathurst. While the gap wont be like it used to be well still see cars performing and mr x will be able to see that a modified version of his wrx do well at track X or see in intreaguing battle with a larger car at say simmonds plains.

This will also be a perfect tie in to 6,12 and 24 hour racing too.
    Last edited by Falcon500; 04-16-2008 at 08:58 PM.
    Lifts heavy things and hits hard......also eats as much as 2/3 people and sleeps 10 hours a day!

^^^Formula one anybody?
    The Datto will rage again...

I dont want a production formula, i'd rather they go to a full silhouette formula. People claim theyre already at that now with the VE builds, as they say the teams construct the roll cage, then bolt all the bodyshell back around that, rather than the reverse of that process. Obviously its not very effective, they could make the whole process alot simpler.
    I am the Stig

Remove bodys and go DTM style!..

Ad 6 cylinder Turbo engines as option over V8 engines for both models with there own advantages and disadvantages..

Like 70-100hp less for turbo's but - 50-80kg better off, Better handling with less power and torque down the straights, Be like watching the BMW's chase the big cars again?.

This way we might be able to get more into the game?.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

I can only hope for what your proposing slickH, we'd be back to the good ol days of competitive racing, not this bogus two horse race.
    RUF CTR Yellowbird is what dreams are made of

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho View Post
    I dont want a production formula, i'd rather they go to a full silhouette formula. People claim theyre already at that now with the VE builds, as they say the teams construct the roll cage, then bolt all the bodyshell back around that, rather than the reverse of that process. Obviously its not very effective, they could make the whole process alot simpler.
    Well given the fact the "VE" their racing is a frankenstein build I doubt there is hardly a better way to do it and building it this way allows them to take full advantage of the rules.

Mate production car formulas not only let us associate better with the cars we see racing but making sompulsury homologlation also improves the road cars we have on offer which is another massive flow on benafit that I want to get from this style of racing. you cant tell me that that in itself doesnt have potential
    Lifts heavy things and hits hard......also eats as much as 2/3 people and sleeps 10 hours a day!

Surely if they simply severed all ties with the production cars it'd be alot simpler. Get rid of all this nonsense with modifying and homologating them, just give them a control roll cage and get each manufacturer to come up with a skin ala NASCAR and DTM.
    I am the Stig

Surely if they simply severed all ties with the production cars it'd be alot simpler. Get rid of all this nonsense with modifying and homologating them, just give them a control roll cage and get each manufacturer to come up with a skin ala NASCAR and DTM.
    NASCAR already failed once in this country and if you look back historically the catigory is much better remberd and more fondly refferd too then the current formula. If marketed right I beleive it can work.

The current catigory is marketed right and seems to be stagnating making it even more bland and severing any and all ties that people can possibly have with them I serously doubt will work a treat.

My opion may be swayed but im yet to see an argument that can really sway me every catigory we have had to the effect you have claimed have failed in this country nascar(ala Auscar) sports cars (them funny looking areodynamic wedges from the 70s and 80s still used in europe but regulated to antiquity here) and even controlled formulas past formula ford where never that popular. More simple yes a winner remains to be seen but i doubt it.

I'm not talking about going oval racing or anything. NASCAR is what it is because 95% of the tracks in America are bull rings. You take the same formula though and optimise it for road racing, or even do what DTM have done and mandate the glasshouse and roof of the racing cars have to share the same dimensions with the road car and youve got something completely different, yet still effectively a simple clean sheet silhouette car.
    I am the Stig

I'm not talking about going oval racing or anything. NASCAR is what it is because 95% of the tracks in America are bull rings. You take the same formula though and optimise it for road racing, or even do what DTM have done and mandate the glasshouse and roof of the racing cars have to share the same dimensions with the road car and youve got something completely different, yet still effectively a simple clean sheet silhouette car.
    We did that here it didnt work. rember past the calder park thunder dome we only had one oval so our AUSCARS had to race on tracks.

DTM is a fine class and in all seriousness there nothing wrong with NASCAR and similar classes (Japans GT500 for example) but historically such classes are doomed here and without the proper marketing and the dollar value to make these cars work there not likly to work either rember we have 21million and germany has roughly 82million we just simply dont have the intrest nor the ecconmy to support such a venture.

As expensive as v8 supercars is alot of teams still run off what dtm drivers get payed and germans like technology. Australians like simple 4 door taxis that loosly resemble the BA they bought at fleet and wholesale and nothing beats staring at it through a haze of bbq smoke wearing the vb beer goggles and just wishing you where craig lowndes. Your ideas not a bad one it seriously isnt but I cant imagine bazza really falling in love with the idea of a generic go kart, If that where the case f1 would be rating ALOT better here.

Come on our cars have 6 link live rear ends outdated motors that havent been manufactured in 6 years (at the newest) and have only just this year allowed sequential shifters doe people care? no because holden iz da bezt

Our current class is a fine wine thats been corked there is no saving a corked beverage only thing that happens when you try to do somthing with it turns it to viniger. There is no easy answer but still we are seeing a resurgence in modified stock car racing in this country (have done since the turn of the centuary) and i put it forward to the board that this is the idea with the most grounding both historically and currently as of this point in time

Id rather watch IPR then V8 Supercars
    The Datto will rage again...

^ agreed
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by h22a View Post
    I can only hope for what your proposing slickH, we'd be back to the good ol days of competitive racing, not this bogus two horse race.
    Might get a few other makes back on-board also..
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

If they wanted to stay production based, i always fancied the idea of having a weight/wheelbase/track width formula. Take the stock wheelbase as its the hardest to change, and allow a percentage of that in track width and similarly with minimum weight.
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    start using the I6, lol
    I do enjoy the I6 Turbo a lot as well though.
    "He who has overcome his fears will truly be free."

Thread Information