Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Twin Turbo Or Big Single????

Thanks. I heard about this car before, but I am not sure about how the 4 trubos are set up (along with that W16) though.

hmm...

Quote Originally Posted by WasteG8
    ive heard that a single turbo is better, with nitrous adding power at lower rpm. A twin turbo set up is harder to tune, and not as reliable as a single turbo/nitrous system.
    Ok, I dont know if its more convenient to have two turbos.
    But I know one thing. You should not use/add nitrous while your car is going at a low rpm. Thats gonna wreck your engine.
    The nitrous does best effect if added at higher rpm.
    Also, the button thing u see in the fast and the furious is not verry good.
    It is better to program the nitrous system to inject at a sertain rpm.
    At least that is the way it is most commonly used by streetracers in Norway.

Thank you..

using nitrous at higher rpms will produce the most peak power but it is best used to help spool the turbo at lower rpm in most cases and having the turbo provide the top end power, using nitrous at all can be bad regardless of rpm depending on how your car is setup, if its built and/or tuned well and its not too big of a shot there is very little to no wear, also assuming it is used properly
    UCP's Most Hardcore Burro!

Being human explains everything but excuses nothing

Hey guys, im diggin up an old thread here but i stumbled upon it during a google search

it's an interesting read, apart from the bitching

i thought you guys might be intrested in my car:
    i have recently finished building a twin turbo a15 (1.5ltr) for my datun 1200, i have setup what i guess is "tandem", with two equal sized turbos (each off a diahatsu diesel 1000cc), i have two cylinders feeding each turbo seperately

the whole system is blow thru using an intercooler, bov, and weber 32/36 carby. i have had problems with fuel as yet (using a holley black 14psi pump, but i have not drilled out the jets and suspect this is my problem at this stage. i took it to heathcote on the 2nd may and ran a 15.9, i was a bit dissapointed to be honest, but my excuse is i could not get full throttle and the car was stuttering above 4500rpm (wouldnt rev past 4800 at all).

Im planing to have a bit of a play then take it back in maybe a months time when i get it right, but for the mean time i have to get rid of my defect notice.

The setup seems to work well so far, it makes 10psi boost at around 2500rpm and holds it through the revs, 10psi is the maximum i wanted to use as the internals are all stock and the carby is not boxed. And in fact 10psi is the minimum boost i can run without modifying the actuator arms (i linked the boost signal to each actuator to equalise the turbos and put a tap in the line t increase vboost but the tap is fully open at 10psi ). future plans include a factory injection manifold i have and a low compression head.

exhaust manifold pic:
    http://datsun1200.com/modules/myalbu...o.php?lid=2874
    engine bay pic (90% complete):
    http://datsun1200.com/modules/myalbu...o.php?lid=3496

let me know if you are intrested any further?

i havent filled out my profile properly yet either but im in melbourne, aus

just some constructive criticism but you may want to rethink your manifold construction, looks like theres some power and increased spool up to be had there, as far as a turbo for each 2 cylinders i think you'd be better off just piping it all togehter and having 2 turbo's for 4 cylinders, might help spoolup also

Hi i'm new.. Well i think bi-turbo is a better setup. A small turbo to reduce turbo lag and when reaching high rpm let the big turbo kicks in. Using nitrous to get rid of turbo lag is not really an option at where i live because n2o refill here is just too expensive. Unless your car is not for daily use and for pure racing, a single big turbo charger should be ok i guess

Quote Originally Posted by SilverArrowZ
    Hi i'm new.. Well i think bi-turbo is a better setup. A small turbo to reduce turbo lag and when reaching high rpm let the big turbo kicks in. Using nitrous to get rid of turbo lag is not really an option at where i live because n2o refill here is just too expensive. Unless your car is not for daily use and for pure racing, a single big turbo charger should be ok i guess
    as ive said before
    a smaller turbo teamed with a larger turbo would not be effective due to the larger turbos inertia, this would cause the majority of EG's to be pushed thru smaller turbo spinning it faster and making its charge hotter and working less efficiently, as the larger one is more a restriction than anything else it will start spinning but do to the fact that its easier to spin the smaller turbo really fast than it is to spin the larger one at normarl speeds what you get is a big turbo producing very little to no boost, and a small overworked turbo blowing overly hot air at reduced efficiency.
    currently manufacturers have it figuered out with 2 equal sized turbos one kicking in at lower rpm while the other is on a pre spool routine then coming online at higher rpm's to suplement its twin flowing twice as much air at a given pressure and one isnt overpowering the other and you still get the top end rush you seem to be looking for with this different size turbo rubbish. the machanism needed to make that idea would be overly complecated(even more than it is for normal sequential turbo's) which would need a system to limit the amount of EG's going to the smaller turbo when the larger one is in operation. as well as the mechanisms needed to pre-spool the larger turbo at lower rpm's. hope that helped

Quote Originally Posted by ludi_konj
    boys wat u think is beta for drag car setups...... my view is that a twin turbo setup is beta... a smaller turbo for lower rpm boost and a bigger turbo for high range rpm.
    that is a question that has been plauging mankind for centuries. both are good and bad in some respects, its a Q for the pros.
    i am imature

I am so smart, S.M.R.T, i am so smart, DOH!, i mean, S.M.A.R.T- Homer Simpson

what about those two same small turbo running at 14.7psi each on a V6? With 3 cylinder to one turbo... are those setup good? i mean for normal street use.

I'm quite new to turbo (especially twin turbo) as all my friends are doing NA modifying. Can't actually find anybody to talk to about turbos.. this forum rocks

the twin turbo 6's and 8's setup in a V configuration are the best setup for the aplication onn production cars, such as the 300zx, it alows the turbo to be put close to the exhust ports of each bank of cylinders to improve responsiveness in create the EG scavenging effect, you have ay questions about turbo' ill be glad to help

Twin Turbo on 4AG

Just for fun, but can i really charge a 1.6liter engine with 2 turbo? I mean 2 cylinder exhaust to one turbo, using a small turbo like the one from diahatsu mira?(the turbocharger for 850cc engine).

Can the setup like that works? I mean just for fun, at least i can tell people my car has twin turbo (and technically i'm right)

Just for fun, but can i really charge a 1.6liter engine with 2 turbo? I mean 2 cylinder exhaust to one turbo, using a small turbo like the one from diahatsu mira?(the turbocharger for 850cc engine).

Can the setup like that works? I mean just for fun, at least i can tell people my car has twin turbo (and technically i'm right)
    I've worked with 4A-GEs quite a bit, and i don't see any reason why this wouldn't be possible; it's just that it would take a lot of work. It seems rather pointless to have two rather than just one on such a small engine. If the purpose is just so that you can say "twin turbo", then leave it stock, adopt the complete riceboy attitide, and tell people anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Nog
    I've worked with 4A-GEs quite a bit, and i don't see any reason why this wouldn't be possible; it's just that it would take a lot of work. It seems rather pointless to have two rather than just one on such a small engine. If the purpose is just so that you can say "twin turbo", then leave it stock, adopt the complete riceboy attitide, and tell people anyway
    You work on 4A-GE? Can 4A-GE be really turbo-charged? I mean their compresion ratio is quite high, how much boost can i use on them? Does 4A-GZE have better potential to be converted to turbo?

You work on 4A-GE? Can 4A-GE be really turbo-charged? I mean their compresion ratio is quite high, how much boost can i use on them? Does 4A-GZE have better potential to be converted to turbo?
    No idea on the 4A-GZE...

Single turbo applications reportedly work quite well on the 4A-GE. My buddy has a '85 MR2 and knows a guy who races them somewhere here in BC. He's built up something like three 4A-GE turbo setups, but he uses them all for racing. The fact that he's built three somewhat worries me ; I would seriously worry about a long-term street application, considering that the internals of this engine are pretty weak. With the right parts and enough money though, I'm pretty confident that it can be done properly.

Here's a couple of examples on-line:

http://www.jamesmccombe.com/Cars/MR2/index.shtml
    http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/7177/turbokit.html

Hope this helps a little...
    Attached Images Attached Images

*Bump*

SilverArrowZ, just hoping that you got the message

Thread Information